IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Caryota ophiopellis

Cindy Adair

Who grows this one? I just planted my only one this morning, as it seemed to react well to the spot I had chosen for the last few weeks. The alocasias and neighboring cryosophila are still being evaluated there.

This is one of six palms planted today, so a good day.

I like everything about this Caryota except for its ultimate untimely death after seeding!

DSCN6683.thumb.jpg.f06d18b497edc8318eda1

DSCN6682.thumb.jpg.ceb32093702b37a9bd712

DSCN6679.thumb.jpg.7dfedfed44e9fef52a602

DSCN6680.thumb.jpg.4fe346964dc5b3c573f03

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

Cindy Adair

rotten things always croak no matter where or how I plant them

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Mine is 10 years old and has been planted out for 7 years. It is a slow (thankfully) grower. It gets shade and filtered sun. Its overall height is about 3m. I will try and get photos soon.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

My experience with this one is it is one tough palm. It endured nearly full sun last year. Moved it under a bunch of manilas and bananas and is doing fine. Very heat tolerant, good drought and flood resistance. Winter didn't faze it. In time it's going to be a really nice palm. 

IMG_20170624_144048.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Cindy, I didn't realize how wide a spread these things have, especially when small. Pretty slow growing, which is nice, you can enjoy them for a longer period of time.

The one I have in shade is much slower growing than the one in a mostly sunny spot. You kind of plant and forget about them. Both were planted pretty much at the same time.

There is a water bottle for scale at the base of the palms. 

Tim

P1010869.jpg

P1010867.jpg

P1010873.jpg

P1010874.jpg

P1010877.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Tim, if only my eventual "after" photos will look have as nice as yours, I'll be happy.

Tacobender and Scott, so glad yours are doing well too spread all around the globe between us! I love the truly international flavor of this forum.

Cindy Adair

Cindy, your palms are looking great. You need not worry about anything except maybe spending too much time on PT.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Cindy, here is mine, with shovel for scale . Not as fast as the zebrina but sometimes that is good. There is a zebrina at Lyon arboretum that has lost its "stripes" and is pretty dull looking, I would bet it is pretty mature, about 20-25 ft or more tall. Here is also a picture of my zebrina (second pic) . Much larger than the snakeskin, much faster. 

aloha

IMG_0504.jpg

IMG_0505.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

On June 25, 2017 at 12:17:07 AM, realarch said:

Cindy, your palms are looking great. You need not worry about anything except maybe spending too much time on PT.

Tim

Thanks Tim. And yes the combination of the rainy season and the freedom of unlimited wi fi has made PT an easier choice. Hmmm washing dishes/doing laundry or looking at palm pictures?

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

7 hours ago, colin Peters said:

Cindy, here is mine, with shovel for scale . Not as fast as the zebrina but sometimes that is good. There is a zebrina at Lyon arboretum that has lost its "stripes" and is pretty dull looking, I would bet it is pretty mature, about 20-25 ft or more tall. Here is also a picture of my zebrina (second pic) . Much larger than the snakeskin, much faster. 

aloha

IMG_0504.jpg

IMG_0505.jpg

Those are gorgeous! Great to see the two similar species compared too. 

I think I "need" a grove of each, all different ages. 

Cindy Adair

This is mine. 2m trunk and about 2m of leaves making it 4m overall. Five gallon bucket for scale. It usually holds about five leaves. It receives morning sun and light shade the rest of the day.

IMG_0924.thumb.jpg.7d20cb91920443e9da588IMG_0923.thumb.jpg.852975d2f88c97c1721a6

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017. 6. 24. 오전, Cindy Adair said:

Who grows this one? I just planted my only one this morning, as it seemed to react well to the spot I had chosen for the last few weeks. The alocasias and neighboring cryosophila are still being evaluated there.

This is one of six palms planted today, so a good day.

I like everything about this Caryota except for its ultimate untimely death after seeding!

DSCN6683.thumb.jpg.f06d18b497edc8318eda1

DSCN6682.thumb.jpg.ceb32093702b37a9bd712

DSCN6679.thumb.jpg.7dfedfed44e9fef52a602

DSCN6680.thumb.jpg.4fe346964dc5b3c573f03

Beautiful palm!

What do you mean ultimate untimely death? Is it hard to keep?

I am looking forward to buy seeds of C. ophiopellis from Rps (selling at 43.8 euro)  but it is sounds a bit expensive.. Do you think it is a reasonable price? 

Sadly it is going to eventually flower (and hopefully make seed) and then die like all solitary Caryotas. It seems easy to grow here.

As to cost of seeds, I have no idea how many seeds your euros will buy or if you can order plants from Floribunda Palms? See the "For Sale" section on PalmTalk too as sometimes there are sellers able to ship seeds internationally there I think.

Ultimately it is worth whatever it costs if you can grow this beauty and always cheap compared to race horses or antique cars.

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

• 3 years later...

Great pictures in this thread! Does anyone have a guess as to how long they live in favorable conditions?

Not sure about the longevity but I know there is one that has been alive for about 4 years in Huntington Beach where I live it's a no-go I've killed three and I'm giving up I think you have a better microclimate and you should do pretty good with this one good luck

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Matt in OC said:

Great pictures in this thread! Does anyone have a guess as to how long they live in favorable conditions?

Mine is now about 15 years old and still no sign of flowering .

• Upvote 1