IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Filiferas spotted in West Texas (7b)

pennerchris@gmail.com

Found in Seminole, Texas. Several Trachys found as well, didn't take pics of those.

First one: I've watched this one grow from the time it had about 5' of trunk in 2011--the year that killed this palm's twin sibling (you can see the spot in the sidewalk where it was located). It has about 9' of trunk now, and the base has fattened dramatically. I think this will be a monster palm; sure to outgrow it's planting area in the pavement.

The homeowner is a friend of a friend, and supposedly they've been waiting for this one to die from cold. I don't expect that'll happen anytime soon.

IMG_20170622_084029.jpg

IMG_20170622_084149.jpg

• Upvote 3

Second: these three are the only palms in this town that get any protection. They've got fat Christmas lights wrapped around them. Huge plants; I'd guess 15' (the fence is 6').

IMG_20170622_084518.jpg

IMG_20170622_084557.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Third: the homeowner has wrapped LED lights around this palm, either for decorative reasons or in an attempt to provide winter protection. I'd consider this an unprotected palm, as I don't believe an LED light produces enough heat to be of any significance in this application. Maybe I'm wrong about that though. 

I'd guess this one's around 12'.

IMG_20170622_084836.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

This town experienced a low of 8f in the 16/17 winter, and all Filiferas are completely defoliated annually. It's impressive to see how fast they regrow their crowns.

I wish these people spent some time cleaning up the trunks of their palms (for aesthetic reasons), but maybe they're leaving the boots on for added R-value. 

Always fun to see what people manage to grow in zone 7, especially in drier climates in the Southwest. Nice sized palms, for a place with average daily January lows of 25. Thanks for the pics!

Mike in zone 6 Missouruh

Nice finds but the first palm is not a filifera, it's either robusta or a hybrid. 

• Upvote 1

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

Thank you for all the pics and the temperature reports.  Very interesting the temperatures that are tolerated in dry climates vs. ours in the eastern USA.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

1 hour ago, Brad Mondel said:

Nice finds but the first palm is not a filifera, it's either robusta or a hybrid. 

I agree with brad on this one.

20 hours ago, Brad Mondel said:

Noted. What gives it away? 

6 hours ago, pennerchris@gmail.com said:

Noted. What gives it away? 

Bright green fronds instead of grey green that are flat with a more dense crown; less droopy frond leaflets and a smaller diameter trunk. 

• Upvote 1

Brad is right. Definitely some robusta in that first one. Although, that thick, fat trunk means there's definitely filifera, too. So now you can add one more palm in west Texas' reportoire! There's more than just filiferas and trachys in your neck of the woods!

On 6/24/2017, 1:30:50, smithgn said:

Brad is right. Definitely some robusta in that first one. Although, that thick, fat trunk means there's definitely filifera, too. So now you can add one more palm in west Texas' reportoire! There's more than just filiferas and trachys in your neck of the woods!

On 6/22/2017, 7:14:01, Brad Mondel said:

Hybrids surviving gives me faith that any future investment into large Filiferas won't be a waste. 

The LED lights must be decorative because they don't give off any heat.

It sounds as though western Texas must be the extremity that Washingtonia Filibusa can tolerate if they keep defoliating and growing back. 

I do recall being in western Texas when it was fairly chilly.  Even down in Marfa, TX it was cold, but two hours farther south in Lajitas and Terlingua, it was t-shirt warm!  .... Strange climate, that West Texas, and I know that high elevation is part of the reason for it, but that doesn't explain why the area around Big Bend National Park is so much warmer (it also has high elevation/much more mountainous than where you are located).  Perhaps it is the desert effect down in the Terlingua region that creates more heat.

Best wishes on your cultivation efforts in the coldest part of Texas.  Thanks for the photos.

• Upvote 1

On 6/22/2017, 8:14:01, Brad Mondel said:

I agree. They look nice though, I would say W. Filifera is a Zone 8a palm in the desert and an 8b palm on the east coast, I have seen some growing in the Carolinas that were definitely filifera, but I saw many robusta as well. 

PalmTreeDude

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2017‎ ‎5‎:‎01‎:‎16‎, PalmTreeDude said:

I agree. They look nice though, I would say W. Filifera is a Zone 8a palm in the desert and an 8b palm on the east coast, I have seen some growing in the Carolinas that were definitely filifera, but I saw many robusta as well. 

You're a bit off on your zone claims unless you are talking primarily about leaf hardiness.

Yeah filifera does good in zone 8a over here on the east side. 

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2017‎ ‎4‎:‎01‎:‎16‎, PalmTreeDude said:

Filifera at least 7b, in the desert southwest.

Mike in zone 6 Missouruh

many filiferas have robusta blood.  If both can exist there the seed is in doubt as they readily hybridize.  There are wild stands of native filiferas in AZ where the low temps would kill off or prevent any robustas, that is where the seed must come from according to a long term nurseryman in AZ I know.  there are many old pure filiferas in downtown phoenix AZ, but their seed cant be trusted.  If both live there, the seed is likely hybridized.  Filiferas are definitely more cold tolerant than robustas in the dry desert climate, and hybrids are in between in cold hardiness.  Few in any pure filiferas exist in the east, in the wet east the hybrids are more cold hardy. 

• Upvote 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

here are a few filiferas in downtown phoenix AZ, courtesy of google street view.  For scale the sidewalk is about 5-6' wide to allow walking in both directions.  these are overtrimmed for sure, but you can get the idea.  they are massive trees with some trunks approaching 4' wide at the base.

filiferas.thumb.PNG.67e36b226455b6b0f9f0

• Upvote 1

Tom Blank

Where are those cold spots in Arizona that you were referring to, Sonorafans? (The ones with native filifera strands) Those areas would have to be north of Phoenix where the climate suddenly changes, wouldn't they?  It never goes much below freezing in Phoenix or especially anywhere between Phoenix and Yuma, right?

By the way, I do remember seeing all of those big, old Washingtonia filiferas in downtown Phoenix --- Beautiful, massive trees!

my understanding is that the wild stand is northwest of phoenix at elevations above 4500'.  Robustas (transported as seed by birds) can't live there due to cold winters and to dry conditions during the rest of the year.  Since there is no development up there no man to introduce and protect/water robustas.  Filliferas are far more drought tolerant and at least 8 degrees more cold tolerant in the desert.

Tom Blank

This post shows 2 Washingtonia filifera growing at over a mile high in Bisbee, AZ. I bet there are no W. robusta in this neighborhood.

Tom Birt - Casas Adobes, AZ

Hi 109°, Lo 81°

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego