IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Is this seed viable?( Seeds from Ebay)

Cocos korea

Hello 

Today I received my order from ebay!

I ordered

5 Bismarckia seeds,

3 Dwarf Areca catechu

1 Cocos nucifera

The cocos was small but healthy:)

However the problem is (beside they came with their fruits and pests :(  )

My Areca catechu 'dwarf' seeds don't look  good. They look much smaller than I remember. The seeds were rattling when I shook the fruit.

The good point is that the seed goes directly to bottom like a rock when I put it in water. 

How do you think about this seed?

Do they look viable?

20170621_113358.jpg

20170621_114656.jpg

20170621_115320.jpg

• Upvote 3

Plant them. Unless a seed husk is empty, you never know. Mother Nature gets to make the call. I have had excellent, fresh, professionally cleaned seed do zip, and had some of the nastiest looking things you ever saw sprout like radishes. Those don't look bad. 

My guess is that your chances are better than 50/50.

But you never know until you plant them and wait ... forever.

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

Plant them and wait, and don't give up, they take such a long time. The longer you wait before planting the less viable they get.

PalmTreeDude

On 2017. 6. 21. 오후, kurt decker said:

Plant them. Unless a seed husk is empty, you never know. Mother Nature gets to make the call. I have had excellent, fresh, professionally cleaned seed do zip, and had some of the nastiest looking things you ever saw sprout like radishes. Those don't look bad. 

Thank you for kind reply,

You made me feel much better :)

13 hours ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Plant them and wait, and don't give up, they take such a long time. The longer you wait before planting the less viable they get.

The order one looks quite good,

I moved on to soaking stage and tomorrow I will dip them in fungicide and put in baggie!

20170622_174714.jpg

22 hours ago, gtsteve said:

My guess is that your chances are better than 50/50.

But you never know until you plant them and wait ... forever.

Thank you, I will try my best