IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pritchardia/ So. Fla.

bubba

Checking up on the Genus Pritchardia and the various species growing in and around South Florida. Can these magnificent palms be grown in Southern California, the south of Spain and other similar suspicious locations:IMG_0878.thumb.JPG.4f51e5753e6b36917e06e

• Upvote 1

What you look for is what is looking

I believe all of the Hawaiian ones can be grown here. P. pacifica and thurstonii can not. 

The first was a thurstonii and the second was a pacifica, both of which are Tonganesh/Fijilistic varieties. Others follow:IMG_0883.thumb.JPG.24d5cab45db5417bb7931

• Upvote 1

The above specimen was identified as  lowereyana, which is indigenous to Hawaii and specifically eastern Molokai. More to follow:IMG_0875.thumb.JPG.96a1fdd3c639956370c13

• Upvote 1

Attendant species aboveIMG_0873.thumb.JPG.5e715ae4ce38e4b78d60c is remota, indigenous to the Northwest coast of Kauai. More to come: Not sure what this one is.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Matt in OC said:

I believe all of the Hawaiian ones can be grown here. P. pacifica and thurstonii can not. 

Yeah, I agree with that. I've really, really tried. Great pictures; that last one has just dead flat leaves. I've seen martii, arecina & viscosa with leaves like that, albeit with rust colored leaf bottoms. Beccariana also can have very flat leaves, which are green underneath. But there's so much dang variability to these. Hodel puts it well when he states that it's the combination of different characteristics that separate species, instead of single characteristics (like leaf shape). One day, perhaps, I'll even find out which ones I'm growing.

• Upvote 1

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

These should grow there, Pritchardia bakeri, picture of our valley, Oahu.

aloha

IMG_0006.jpg

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Mandrew968 said:

That last palm looks like Pritchardia coperniciana...

That would explain a lot...

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

It does have that Copernicia look. I will go back and check tags! Please understand I'm just trying to give you folks something to look at!

2 hours ago, bubba said:

It does have that Copernicia look. I will go back and check tags! Please understand I'm just trying to give you folks something to look at!

I understand! And I am looking ^_^

Colin's view is a view that is quite a view...

How about this view? I mean, it's just something for you guys to look at...

20170621_175657.jpg

(Coccothrinax cupularis, Hemithrinax ekmaniana, Psuedophoenix lediniana and sargentii, Copernicia rigida and gigas, Allagoptera brevicalyx and Hyphaene petersiana are the palms in view)

• Upvote 2

Your palms are boldacious. The opulence afforded by the lush view of these palms is mesmerizing. The distinction between the view of your prodigal assortment of palms and Colin's view is established not by the palms. Rather, it is the riotous amount of soil, rock and attendant lift of the ground so as to appear to cause the sensation of elevation.

Do not be fooled. Earth is documented to be flat and the effect created by this sensation is nothing more than an illusion. That stated, while not tethered to reality, it does present the semblance of a pleasing sensation beyond the palms, while in no manner deminimizing the illustrious nature of your palms. Comprende?

6 hours ago, bubba said:

Your palms are boldacious. The opulence afforded by the lush view of these palms is mesmerizing. The distinction between the view of your prodigal assortment of palms and Colin's view is established not by the palms. Rather, it is the riotous amount of soil, rock and attendant lift of the ground so as to appear to cause the sensation of elevation.

Do not be fooled. Earth is documented to be flat and the effect created by this sensation is nothing more than an illusion. That stated, while not tethered to reality, it does present the semblance of a pleasing sensation beyond the palms, while in no manner deminimizing the illustrious nature of your palms. Comprende?

Por su puesto, amigo. Elevation is an attractive feature-chain link is not... However, I have made a flat chain link view, something I like to look at. For now, that makes me happy.

Pritchardia pacifica in North Miami, shot the other day...

IMG_0148.JPG

IMG_0149.JPG

IMG_0147.JPG

• Upvote 2

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"