IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Stilts question

Cindy Adair

Sharp eyes may have noticed this Areca vestiaria in my Verschaffeltia line up. This ready to be planted clump was a recent generous gift and deserves to be liberated immediately and stretch its roots, don't you think?

It has been in this spot more than a week and seems to be responding well to the light level and I am in a planting mode.

I usually try to plant out potted plants into the ground at exactly the same soil depth as they were in the pot. However with this one I am not sure.

Other A.vestiarias I planted tiny are now much bigger and have shown no stilt formation.

Is this a reaction to the pot, like reaching for better conditions? 

Basically do I plant it even slightly deeper or not?

Thanks!

DSCN6615.jpg

DSCN6616.jpg

DSCN6617.jpg

• Upvote 3

Cindy Adair

Cindy, 

I would cover these roots with a good humus soil, it seems that the pot substrat reduced all the time your Areca has grown there.
Anyway its' time for the Areca to start a new life in your garden soil since it looks more like a mature plant than a young seedling !

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Hi Cindy, here are a few shots of my remaining A. vestiaria, all with stilt roots. 

I would think you could plant with the roots exposed as they currently are in the pot, or sink them down a bit. Either way they will develop stilt roots. 

Tim

P1010722.jpg

P1010720.jpg

P1010721.jpg

• Upvote 4

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Stilt roots will happen, you can be sure...  And offspring!  Millions of offspring!

DSC_0368.thumb.jpg.55cc7c93b64e864f4e3be

• Upvote 3

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

11 hours ago, Kim said:

Stilt roots will happen, you can be sure...  And offspring!  Millions of offspring!

DSC_0368.thumb.jpg.55cc7c93b64e864f4e3be

Wish I had this problem!

• Upvote 1

here are a few shots of my remaining A. vestiaria, all with stilt roots. 

Tim,
Actually what happened to the not remaining A. vestiaria ?
Did you remove them and put on your compost pile ? 
I would love to see your compost then !

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Cindy,

Here is my little clump of the orange-crownshaft variety, 5-gal orange bucket for scale. I think I agree with Tim's recommendation. I noticed that there seemed to some surface root runners extending beyond the stilt roots.The two in back (one a double) were planted in July 2011, the smaller one in front in May 2013. They are in full all-day sun and get a bit too much wind (hard to avoid here).

5945901d9f317_Arecavestiaria_orange_clum

I also have three clumps of the red-crownshaft variety, but they are so dense that I can't even see the roots.

• Upvote 1

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Again I am most appreciative and humbled to see the photos here. Books and internet encyclopedias are useful but one on one answering specific questions by growers all over the world is priceless. 

As much as I envy the big trees I will miss the pretty bifid juvenile leaves.

I have dozens of 2 leaf seedling size that seem to be the red crownshaft variety from their similar mother, but this ready to plant clump will need to represent the orange version. I expect it to leap being planted soon and the rainy season beginning!

Cindy Adair