IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm Oil

sur4z

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

Im not sure I buy all that.  Its been used for ages and ages.  Id have to see more studies done, and if there is one they used to come to those findings, id love to know who funded it.  These days so called "studies" are all made to say what someone wants them to say, and there is usually some orgaisation behind the scenes funding "studies" to get some outcome that makes a competitor look bad, or make themselves or what they pedal look good.  We have seen that time and time again.    I Have even seen this posted on social media and there seems to be a lot of push back from some people on it.  Good.  If they are going to come out so against something, Id like to see more INDEPENDENT studies done in order to back up their findings.   

• Upvote 1

Im not sure I buy all that.  Its been used for ages and ages.  Id have to see more studies done, and if there is one they used to come to those findings, id love to know who funded it.  These days so called "studies" are all made to say what someone wants them to say, and there is usually some orgaisation behind the scenes funding "studies" to get some outcome that makes a competitor look bad, or make themselves or what they pedal look good.  We have seen that time and time again.    I Have even seen this posted on social media and there seems to be a lot of push back from some people on it.  Good.  If they are going to come out so against something, Id like to see more INDEPENDENT studies done in order to back up their findings.   

Ken.. two questions,  Do you consider the American Heart Association to be a biased organization ?

Do you consider a food product with 82% saturated fat to be a healthy part of your diet ?  

• Upvote 1

San Francisco, California

On 6/20/2017, 3:09:28, Darold Petty said:

Ken.. two questions,  Do you consider the American Heart Association to be a biased organization ?

Do you consider a food product with 82% saturated fat to be a healthy part of your diet ?  

1.  Generally yes, but  where did their data come from?  Who conducted the studies? Who paid for them?   That will go a long way toward helping that.  From what I read it was just a revisit of already available data, and It seems to be a wild swing and its singling out coconut palm oil.  I generally tend to avoid palm oil (from oil palms) because of its well documented negative environmental impacts.    

2.  NO, however it all depends on the kinds of saturated fats.   Every diet needs fats, and to my knowledge there, I don't know of too many products made up mainly coconut palm oil.   Everything that is eaten to excess will be bad. Moderation is good.   Coconut palm oil has been used and eaten for eons and I don't recall seeing massive problems documented in those populations.   The article seems to very one sided and seems to be very alarmist to me.  Those kinds of articles are always questionable at best to me. There are always two sides to every story.    Like I said, Moderation is key, and I definitely do not go out and drink a gallon of any fat or oil.  When its used properly and in the right amounts, fats are a healthy and necessary part of diets. 

Here is the background about the recent advisory, direct from the AHA.  Note that the advisory is an analysis of more than 100 previous studies. There is no doubt that coconut oil is an unhealthy source of fat.

Also note the key term 'moderation', no one consumes the amount mentioned in this advisory.  (Even I enjoy a big prime rib INFREQUENTLY !)  :winkie:

http://news.heart.org/saturated-fats-why-all-the-hubbub-over-coconuts/

• Upvote 1

San Francisco, California