IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A few palms at Logees Tropical Plants in CT and ID?

Mr.SamuraiSword

Logees has a reputation of being like a mostly indoor botanical garden in Connecticut.  Though I live an hour south in Lebanon i still thought it was worth a visit.  I could not be more pleased with it.  I first spotted a windmill palm and papaya plant near the entrance.  The windmill while potted was still a good size for up north. and the papaya was at least 10 ft tall.

bsUnmOFKrNcnxiptVLRq7Ya7vA2sC2KMz94tlVVH

OGGTxxoK0B11a0EfJ4ltmjIxgPu9hWtpMBMWM2Il

Inside were a few much bigger and older palms that weren't for sale.  One looks to be a livistonia.   It was far too large for 1 picture.

EdOZMgRVxSLqdKAAExJquASBnIv6y8Q3T1TNYGFP

AbZMGe8VG52FaFw8owBg-j-cxi-HmiKX40E9EqHO

This other one reminds me of a euro fan palm but I could use an ID also at least 10 ft of trunk

78hMqTzHanKySsO1wGfO3RVeqP4VxQRhUX_9dLj-

gzOHhzj8eq-YBxBSFD6dWbj57IJKadzROVQ5G1xO

This was also there and I could use an ID on this too.

FrEQbynISWlYsUalnctstiYzaIt6XDGgU_lKU_Ii

oJRBwTM4LE9HxgDv1LfFmg9pxUa-jQIgXumBF5fG

They had lots of other plants as well including oranges, hybrid oranges, musa basjoo bananas, indoor huge bananas, and many other tropicals.

heres a few but they arent palms so I wont post them all.

14ft tall musa basjoo

r4AlBUMfhA3mG7zeR3ka_FV-82yC9ETvtDIdrp9r

looks like a cycad.  ID anyone?

jnh9h4fheCBnj4fDlPmdRYRY7V-60bYj-npBJzwG

oranges

9aebxQm-rA5GfyAIl0MKpHfMqDb0gJBqdCm88QTK

IIC2l4OF6J0dKQ1eqGTqST413JjuQKo9K5hZWxS0

You are correct about the euro fan palm, Chamaerops excelsa.  This palm has stretched petioles due to lower light levels.

The small palm in the orange pot is likely a Chamaedoea.  If the trunk had yellow speckles perhaps C. oreophila.

The cycad might be a Blechnum fern.  Thanks for posting !   :greenthumb:

• Upvote 1

San Francisco, California

Those are so elongated it is hard to id. The first one has fan leaves but the base looks like an allogoptera clump. The second is a med fan and the third is a c. Radicalis. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Darold Petty said:

You are correct about the euro fan palm, Chamaerops excelsa.  This palm has stretched petioles due to lower light levels.

The small palm in the orange pot is likely a Chamaedoea.  If the trunk had yellow speckles perhaps C. oreophila.

The cycad might be a Blechnum fern.  Thanks for posting !   :greenthumb:

Probably the biggest med fan palm in the whole state.  I honestly have never seen one that big until now.

Livistona chinensis

Chamaerops humilis

Chamaedorea elegans

Blechnum brailiense

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Defintely Chamaedorea Elegans on the second small one. Its probably 10-15 years old too.  I would snatch that up in a heartbeat if that was for sale!     

That banana looking plant looks more like a small travelers palm to me.  They are related to Bananas, and the way that ones leaves are in line, forming a fan, leads me too believe that it is a travelers palm. If lt had an inflorescence on it Id be able to tell for sure.   

12 minutes ago, DCA_Palm_Fan said:

Defintely Chamaedorea Elegans on the second small one. Its probably 10-15 years old too.  I would snatch that up in a heartbeat if that was for sale!     

That banana looking plant looks more like a small travelers palm to me.  They are related to Bananas, and the way that ones leaves are in line, forming a fan, leads me too believe that it is a travelers palm. If lt had an inflorescence on it Id be able to tell for sure.   

you could be right.  i asked if the chamaedorea was for sale but it was the owners.  how much do you think it was worth?

3 minutes ago, Mr.SamuraiSword said:

you could be right.  i asked if the chamaedorea was for sale but it was the owners.  how much do you think it was worth?

Well, in general they are cheap palms, because they are mass produced and used in so many things from busy plants with 100 seeds grown in the pot as a "Palm" to use in dish gardens and other mixed houseplant plantings.  That said, they are fairly show growers, and it takes a fairly long time for them to gain any appreciable height like that one.  I have one that is taller than that, which I purchased on ebay 8 years ago,  when it was half the size of the one in your photo. I think I paid 30  dollars for it, or more.  I cant remember but I remember the whole order ( there were a few different palms in it) was around 100 bucks.   Id guess that one would be around 50 bucks or so.   The slow growth is what makes them more expensive in my mind as they grow taller.   Id now sell mine  for 75 or so were I going to sell it, but I am not.  I will have that palm until either it, or I die.  LOL.   

• Upvote 1