IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My first seed germinated!

DesertCoconut

Today was an exciting day for me. It's the little things that make me happy. My very first seed germinated! (arenga engleri) I've been collecting palms for several years, but just recently decided to start growing from seed. A few months ago I bought some roystonea regia seeds and probably made a mistake by just planting them in the garden before reading up on germination methods. I still have my fingers crossed for those. Since then, I started using the "baggie method" and bought or collected all of these over the past couple of months:

Arenga engleri (yay! for my first sprout)

Nannorrhops Ritchieana

Phoenix rupicola

Acoelorrhaphe wrightii

Carpentaria acuminata

Phoenix canariensis (collected locally)

Roystonea oleracea

Acrocomia aculeata (This one I tried some bagged and some planted outside under some queens and some planted in my indoor palm pots. I cracked open the bagged ones and left the others with the hard shells. I know those will take years!)

Copernicia alba

Copernicia baileyana

chamaedora radicalis (thanks, DoomsDave!)

I've built a shade structure over part of my garden with the irrigation all ready to go. I can't wait to start filling it with all my new potted seedlings! 

20170614_150740.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 10

You will love the look of the young leaves they are very distinctive and interesting compared to the phoenix for example.

• Upvote 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

Beginning of a wonderful story !
Congratulations !

• Upvote 1

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Always exciting to see a germinated seed even if you've germinated hundreds, thousands before.

Regards Neil

• Upvote 1

Good work! Keep it up.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

• 4 months later...
On 6/14/2017, 5:58:50, DesertCoconut said:

Today was an exciting day for me. It's the little things that make me happy. My very first seed germinated! (arenga engleri) I've been collecting palms for several years, but just recently decided to start growing from seed. A few months ago I bought some roystonea regia seeds and probably made a mistake by just planting them in the garden before reading up on germination methods. I still have my fingers crossed for those. Since then, I started using the "baggie method" and bought or collected all of these over the past couple of months:

Nannorrhops Ritchieana

Phoenix rupicola

Acoelorrhaphe wrightii

Carpentaria acuminata

Roystonea oleracea

Acrocomia aculeata (This one I tried some bagged and some planted outside under some queens and some planted in my indoor palm pots. I cracked open the bagged ones and left the others with the hard shells. I know those will take years!)

Copernicia alba

Copernicia baileyana

I've built a shade structure over part of my garden with the irrigation all ready to go. I can't wait to start filling it with all my new potted seedlings! 

20170614_150740.jpg

How did your other seeds do?  It's been a few months since your first germination - hopefully you've had more successes!  Don't give up on the Acrocomia aculeata - mine took nearly 2 years to germinate!  I'm currently trying to germinate some of DoomsDave's Chamaedora radicalis seeds also - thanks again Dave!  Sounds like you've got some seedling challenges with your sun and heat also.  I just planted my Phoenix canariensis seedling (also grown from local seed) in the yard today as well as several Sabal seedlings.  My Acoelorrhaphe wrightii seedlings are doing well, but too young to plant out yet.  I haven't had any luck with Arenga engleri (4 unsuccessful attempts so far) but that was your first!

Jon

• Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

Very nice!  I love growing from seed and I am sure that you will find it fulfilling as well.

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

On 15/06/2017, 8:58:50, DesertCoconut said:

Nannorrhops Ritchieana

Phoenix rupicola

Acoelorrhaphe wrightii

Carpentaria acuminata

Roystonea oleracea

Copernicia alba

Copernicia baileyana

20170614_150740.jpg

Good job

i had 10 Arenga engleri seeds and only two germinated... after 8-9 months it has only one leaf ...picture when it was germinated ...

IMG_0798.JPG

• Upvote 1

Congratulations!

Something jumps into life and now you are in charge - a wonderful challenge with great pleasure, sometimes great concern and

definitely a source of inspiration!

I am always feeling responsible the most for my seed grown plants, so I am wishing you all the best with your new babies!

best regards -

Lars

• Upvote 1

Congrats! Let the addiction begin. :)

Palms are pretty slow to germinate, usually, so it's always satisfying to see them sprout. 

One thing I really enjoy about growing palms from seed, as a whole, is that they are constantly changing - leaf shapes, colors, etc.

• Upvote 1

DC,  

Congrats on your germination successes, like others have said, it will be hard to stop ( wanting to germinate more ) now that you have succeeded with this first batch. As im sure you already know, keep them out of full sun. Learned that the hard way when we first moved here.. All my seedlings have done best under 65-70% shade in the shade house.

Agree w/ others, Arenga engleri are slow to develop after germinating. Have noticed that they are also the first of any of my seedlings to show sunburn, even in the shade house, once we hit June here. 

Curious what part of Phoenix you're located in. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks everyone for the kind words of encouragement! It has been 4 months and what fun it has been. I had some rotting problems with some seeds, but others did great! I'm patiently waiting on several others. I think I'm learning how to balance how much water to add to the bag. So far, I've had great success with:

Roystonea (dunlapiana/regia/oleracea -- I'm going to experiment with these 3 to see which ones do best here in the desert. I wanted to try borinquena but could not locate any seeds.)

Arenga Engleri ( 100% germination, but a few never surfaced and the radicles rotted.)

Copernicia Alba ( I got 2 seedlings out of 10 seeds)

Phoenix canariensis (root shot through bottom of a 4" pot in less than 2 weeks! These are the most beautiful weeds in Arizona!)

Chamaerops humilis

Carpentaria Acuminata

Another one I got really excited about was Medemia Argun. These germinated very fast, but the radicles just rotted in the dirt. I learned my lesson with these. Next time, they go in a mix heavy on the sand/pumice side and maybe directly into the ground.

I have attached some photos of my progress. You can see the ollies are winning the race as expected.

Silas_Sancona, I live in South Mountain Village near 19th Ave south of Baseline Rd. So far I've done all of this indoors. Now that the weather is cooling off I'm going to get to work on my shade house and irrigation lines. I have several other seedlings (not grown from seed) in containers and in the ground between my house and a block wall to the east. The area is about 12ft wide and 30 ft long. It makes a good protected garden area that doesn't get the brutal western sun.

Thanks again, everyone!

Darrin

20171022_194606.jpg

20171023_150958.jpg

20171023_150918.jpg

20171023_151423.jpg

20171023_151353.jpg

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

The chamaedora radicalis I got from DoomsDave sprouted in my garden! I planted them in a new area of the garden back in May. Today I noticed 4 of these little guys poking up!

20171103_123007.jpg

• Upvote 1

Congratulations.

I remember my first seeds germinating, the happiness and sense of adventure of seeds from far countries, high mountains germinating in my pots.

• Upvote 1

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

• 4 years later...