IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dying Majesty Palm

cm05

A few weeks ago I bought this Majesty Palm on clearance for $5 at Lowes (marked down from $30). It was pretty mangled, like it had been ran over, but it was mostly green with some sunburn. I planted it out (in part sun) and it's been languishing ever since, all of its fronds are now crispy, and 2/3 spears snapped at their base (they were pretty leggy though), although they're still partially green. Does it appear to have a chance of recovery? Or should I just replace it?

IMG_5298.JPG

7 hours ago, cm05 said:

A few weeks ago I bought this Majesty Palm on clearance for $5 at Lowes (marked down from $30). It was pretty mangled, like it had been ran over, but it was mostly green with some sunburn. I planted it out (in part sun) and it's been languishing ever since, all of its fronds are now crispy, and 2/3 spears snapped at their base (they were pretty leggy though), although they're still partially green. Does it appear to have a chance of recovery? Or should I just replace it?

IMG_5298.JPG

check spear pull.  if the spear pulls out its  a goner.  if it doesnt u might have a small chance

Even if it does survive it will takes ages to look half decent again. I'd bin it or take it back and start again. You'll be looking at that poor thing struggling when you could be admiring a nice healthy palm.

Regards Neil

I had purchased one from lowes a while back, same thing on sale for about $6, maybe about 4 feet tall. Turns out they all come with free scale infestations too. Anywhere I go to that sells them in those big box stores all have major scale issues or broken fronds etc. Most of them seem to be at risk. It was worth the time that it lasted, but it was too heavily damaged and infested to keep that one alive. I wasn't going to use gas up to drive there and back for a $6 refund. A local nursery has other varieties that are much healthier, and I don't mind spending the few extra bucks. 

On 6/11/2017, 9:28:50, Mr.SamuraiSword said:

check spear pull.  if the spear pulls out its  a goner.  if it doesnt u might have a small chance

Spear was firm. I poured hydrogen peroxide into the crown and there was very little fizzing. I don't know what the issue was. But one of the trunks had already died in a similar fashion. I think it was doomed from the start.

On 6/11/2017, 9:32:48, Pando said:

If you still have the original pot, dig it up, they'll give you your money back. :)

Final sale, but it isn't a huge loss (only $5), and it's one less plant I have to bring inside at the end of the year. And at least I gained a pot lol.

On 6/12/2017, 8:04:58, Neil C said:

Even if it does survive it will takes ages to look half decent again. I'd bin it or take it back and start again. You'll be looking at that poor thing struggling when you could be admiring a nice healthy palm.

Regards Neil

That's what I was thinking, I really wanted it to do well but it looked dead this afternoon, we made it to 100 degrees today so it should've budged, but it didn't (dead). I already removed it and put a pot-planted Cat Palm in its place, the area already looks 10x better lol.

On 6/12/2017, 10:41:57, Palm Tree Jim said:

Not looking good.

As Pando suggested, return it if you can.

If I paid full price for it I'd definitely try to return it, but the pot it came in is worth the $5 I spent lol.

On 6/12/2017, 10:56:42, ExoticPalms said:

I had purchased one from lowes a while back, same thing on sale for about $6, maybe about 4 feet tall. Turns out they all come with free scale infestations too. Anywhere I go to that sells them in those big box stores all have major scale issues or broken fronds etc. Most of them seem to be at risk. It was worth the time that it lasted, but it was too heavily damaged and infested to keep that one alive. I wasn't going to use gas up to drive there and back for a $6 refund. A local nursery has other varieties that are much healthier, and I don't mind spending the few extra bucks. 

I've never had any luck with anything from the Lowes clearance section. One of my first palms was a Phoenix roebelleni I bought for $3, the soil was bone dry and each trunk ended up dying one by one from root rot (I assume), I believe it had scale too. I thought I could salvage this Majesty, but nope lol.

I recently purchased my first nursery palm, a Rhapidophyllum hystrix, at $60 it's my most expensive plant purchase by far, but it was a good deal, I think. I'd be in trouble if I lived in a climate that supported more than just a couple of species.

• Upvote 1

If palms are already in shock so bad they are drying up I always pass no matter what the discount is for two reasons:

They will die anyway

or 

They will take years to look normal again and resume regular growth speed