IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bromeliad ID

topwater

Can someone ID this brome, I think it may be a Portea of some type.  Broken tortilla warmer for scale. Thanks. 

IMG_0351.JPG

• Upvote 3

Looks to be a pretty Aechmea of some sort, but there are hundreds at least, so it's difficult to know.  Looks like one called Aechmea Pinot Noir somewhat.  It would help to see the inflorescence.

• Upvote 2

Looks like the Androlepis Skinneri that I have. I just separated 20 pups from it.

Edited by mwardlow
  • Upvote 1

MLW

3 hours ago, mwardlow said:

Looks like the Androlepis Skinneri that I have. I just separated 20 pups from it.

3 hours ago, mwardlow said:

You know, I did consider Androlepis Skinneri because of the pointy tips, but mine has a lot less red on it and the leaves are broader.  However, when I looked on the internet there is a lot of variability.  Don't know for sure.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, richtrav said:

It's xAndrolaechmea O'Rourke. It won't color up if it doesn't get enough sun. 

Well, that would make perfect sense.  A cross between and aechmea and an androlepis.  The aechmea gives it the potential intense red color and narrower leaves, and the androlepis gives it the stiff habit, pointy leaves and serrated edge?  Sounds very reasonable to me!

• Upvote 1

Thanks for all the replies, it does look like Androlepis and xAndrolaechmea even more so.  For what it's worth, it was quite green when I planted it last fall, it's gotten much redder in the sun.  Hopefully it will flower soon. Thanks again.