IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Floded palm garden

doranakandawatta

as you can see in : http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/53397-first-planting-in-puwakwatta/#comment-806684

we planted many seedlings in this new Areca garden in april 2017.

P1050331.thumb.JPG.2cdf8a20edd800841cd9fP1050336.thumb.JPG.4c1122f1d353a0ff13c45P1050792.thumb.JPG.870007bafbac24e3f1c18P1050796.thumb.JPG.59d2c838132bca40b6f5cP1050799.thumb.JPG.ac72b41321667844f3616

One month later , when it was a catastrophic monsoon heavy rain on the south-west part of the country, the garden was under water:

IMG_0493.thumb.JPG.33169782ddf2d5e2f6944IMG_0492.thumb.JPG.c728ef481e5b78dfdd0eeIMG_0491.thumb.JPG.e5d0be1abb6039e3e5f25IMG_0490.thumb.JPG.25d376072b7885d155e91IMG_0489.thumb.JPG.87e723b76dac370fa15c2IMG_0488.thumb.JPG.2465e55dec9587cf37245

Gladly it seems that all the plants recovered and they start to develop new leaves.

• Upvote 6

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

I was just about to ask why there wasn't any grass or ground cover around the palms, but now I see why with the flooding.

2 minutes ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

I was just about to ask why there wasn't any grass or ground cover around the palms, but now I see why with the flooding.

Actually there were many weeds, wild Costus and other plants, but we cleared the soil before planting, so we could see cobras or others.

Planting ground covers in this village garden is not such a good idea since many reptiles enjoy these places, we are in the middle of wild jungle, not so urban context.
It seems we have as many cobras as villagers ... and vipers, and krait snakes ...

• Upvote 4

Philippe

Nothing like a good watering to get a transplanted palm settled in.  Of course, that much water might be a tiny bit excessive.  

Cobras, vipers, and krait snakes.  Hmm.  I don't know if I'd like those in my garden.  Well, on second thought, I KNOW I wouldn't want to garden in their territory.  I suppose the trees are the snake's refuge during a flood.  So far, I haven't encountered a venomous snake in our garden, but they are here.  The most dangerous is the Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake.  They can kill a person, but usually don't if treated quickly.  We are also in the range of other rattlesnakes, and a cobra relative, the Coral Snake.  But Coral Snakes aren't very large and usually aren't very aggressive toward people.  

• Upvote 2

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

We have already seen a dozen cotton mouth and copperheads around the nursery this spring, but never a single rattlesnake.  They are around but just not on the property for some reason.  I'd rather have any of these running around than a Cobra.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, doranakandawatta said:

but we cleared the soil before planting, so we could see cobras or others.

It seems we have as many cobras as villagers ... and vipers, and krait snakes ...

NO THANKS!:P

Nice little planting area you have there! Shame about all the water.

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

23 hours ago, doranakandawatta said:

Actually there were many weeds, wild Costus and other plants, but we cleared the soil before planting, so we could see cobras or others.

Planting ground covers in this village garden is not such a good idea since many reptiles enjoy these places, we are in the middle of wild jungle, not so urban context.

Very poisonous reptiles indeed.....is there antivenom close by? 

Very poisonous reptiles indeed.....is there antivenom close by? 

Not so...
But the question is more: where do you put your feet and your hands ?
In Europe we are used to touch everything without caring and watching on what we put fingers, which is quite wrong in the jungle.

At least you can notice a leech is biting you between two fingers !

• Upvote 1

Philippe

I would be ecstatic to see a krait or cobra in the wild! 

But then again, I have issues.

• Upvote 1

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

We have NO snakes in Hawaii for which I'm thankful, so I don't have to worry or be extra careful where I put my hands when out in the garden or elsewhere.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

17 hours ago, Alan_Tampa said:

I would be ecstatic to see a krait or cobra in the wild! 

But then again, I have issues.

So you can see:

P1000855.thumb.JPG.ae41e6d29d32de48fd7f7P1000861.thumb.JPG.ccd567a5e922359643211

• Upvote 4

Philippe

9 hours ago, doranakandawatta said:

So you can see:

P1000855.thumb.JPG.ae41e6d29d32de48fd7f7P1000861.thumb.JPG.ccd567a5e922359643211

So how aggressive are these bad boys?  When they see a person, do they stand and fight, or do they just leave?  Most snakes around here just leave if they have the chance.  

• Upvote 1

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

5 hours ago, Keith in SoJax said:

So how aggressive are these bad boys?  When they see a person, do they stand and fight, or do they just leave?  Most snakes around here just leave if they have the chance.  

You're right, normally they just leave, they can become aggressive when they are surprised feel they are attacked.

And in the garden, you can hear them moving so you know who is there. :mellow:

• Upvote 1

Philippe

7 hours ago, doranakandawatta said:

You're right, normally they just leave, they can become aggressive when they are surprised feel they are attacked.

And in the garden, you can hear them moving so you know who is there. :mellow:

Wow, they must be really impressive animals.  It would be awe inspiring to see one in situ.  I think you are brave gardening in their territory.  

4 hours ago, Keith in SoJax said:

Wow, they must be really impressive animals.  It would be awe inspiring to see one in situ.  I think you are brave gardening in their territory.  

Actually Keith, these are the normal and natural situations in a village life.
Other reptiles are some vipers, which I don't like so much since they are smaller and faster; you may have been bitten without noticing it, so you may die the next night. :mellow:

As you can see through my posts, I love this country and I have chosen no to have a "western life" there but to share the traditional and sometimes basic life of the people.

So vipers, cobra, scorpions... belong to the neighborhood ; and Cobras are sacred and venerated animals;
Should I say that years ago, we were used to give an egg and a bowl of water to a old cobra who lived 3 meters far from the kitchen ?
This poor fellow died, but new generations are there.

I must admit that under a wonderful palm canopy, I am writing my own "Jungle Book".

Philippe

Phillipe, I really like your view of how to integrate with the native fauna, and live a simpler, not so "Western" life.  Its a much larger commitment when the native animals can be fatal, and stealthy too.  If I ever find my way to Sri Lanka, I'll look you up.  I'd love to see your "Jungle Book"  garden.  It must have been quite something to have that "relationship" with a 3m cobra!  

how to integrate with the native fauna,...

In Doranakanda gardens it's also how to integrate with the native flora !
I may make other Palmtalkers upset if I say that we have too many Areca concinna, Areca catechu, Caryota urens self sown plants and that it's emotionally difficult to remove them, but I have to.

Then we can eat fresh palm hearth ! :mellow: Then the species we planted get enough light !

Philippe

• 2 months later...

Gladly all palms didn't suffer of one week floods. It seems most of palm species are used to that.

We continued building pavilions in the garden and added some plants:

P1070371.thumb.JPG.9cc69101f43a9adaa63ebP1070374.thumb.JPG.17f0626abe8c94b586854P1070388.thumb.JPG.98605a68d5f4f5cd3a032

P1070406.thumb.JPG.304b90521baa9ef4f840c

All that will become a "social cultural village center", where you'll get rice and curry or other traditional cuisine, located in the middle of a betel nut plantation, with a palm collection. Is that ok?

• Upvote 5

Philippe

Enjoy all of the 'snake' stories from your Sri Lankan garden and will happily read them without any need for a 'hands on' experience. 

About the only reptile one encounters here is a cane toad, which scares the hell outa you when you're on your hands and knees and grab one. It hops, I jump. 

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

My occasional non native Boa sightings are nothing! I am also glad to have no leeches. However I love your gardens Philippe!

Cindy Adair

I think I could not live with a big poisonous snake 3 m from the kitchen......:D

A few months ago we killed a big jararaca snake that my younger son encountered on the pathway. It´s too dangerous with children.

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Beautiful palm garden you have there. A flooded Areca garden is so cool. A true tropical experience. Those Arecas would love the occasional flooding.

Snakes in the garden I can relate too. We get Western Tiger snakes. 60% chance of death without anti venom, and serious internal injuries if you happen to live and their aggressive if cornered or startled. Not really active much in winter, but in a couple of months on the warm days they'll start to make up for lost time. I've been here nearly 4 years and seen about 6 of them. I give them a wide berth and they just keep going. I did see a bird once attacking one moving across the lawn last year. It looked quite harassed and didn't hang around. Eagles and hawks love them too so they try to avoid open areas.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

• 2 weeks later...

Mokatti ( the mongoose ) watching the river flooding the river banks ... until now ...

IMG_0836.thumb.JPG.59fedbd455d467217869bIMG_0835.thumb.JPG.ab7686c3f78a6008789c4IMG_0837.thumb.JPG.4bd8281de5398572aecc3

IMG_0812.thumb.JPG.202817a6fe959d8f6bfb8IMG_0814.thumb.JPG.629b5eb21517f31d3916fIMG_0838.thumb.JPG.17926741aade3f95410ec

• Upvote 3

Philippe

That little Mokatti is something else. Lots of mongoose here, but I've never heard of any being pet material.

Tim 

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Flooding is a regular occurrence for you, I see.  I suppose as long as it is not too deep and the current not too strong, and the duration not too long, the garden is accepting its fate and recovering each time?  Magical place you have there. :)

Looking at Mokatti in profile, I think the Hawaiian mongoose is a different species -- they have shorter legs and are more completely horizontal in the body, and perhaps a slighter build, especially in the haunches.

Edit: I just looked it up.  The species of mongoose in Hawaii is Herpestes javanicus. (Small Indian Mongoose) Do you know which species in Sri Lanka? Just curious. 

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Phillipe, helluva garden you have there!

Cool mongoose, too.

We have snakes, but they don't seem to like my garden, though the lizards do.

More pictures!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

2 hours ago, Kim said:

Flooding is a regular occurrence for you, I see.  I suppose as long as it is not too deep and the current not too strong, and the duration not too long, the garden is accepting its fate and recovering each time?  Magical place you have there. :)

Looking at Mokatti in profile, I think the Hawaiian mongoose is a different species -- they have shorter legs and are more completely horizontal in the body, and perhaps a slighter build, especially in the haunches.

Edit: I just looked it up.  The species of mongoose in Hawaii is Herpestes javanicus. (Small Indian Mongoose) Do you know which species in Sri Lanka? Just curious. 

Kim ,

It seems to me Mokatti is a normal Herpestes javanicus  even if Sri Lanka has two other endemic species.

Philippe