IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hyophorbe sp. indoors

Reynevan

Hi all

I have an offer to buy Hyophorbe Verschaffeltii and  Hyophorbe Lagenicaulis. My question is - will they survive indoors, as a potted plant? If so, which one is tougher ?  

Both of these palms make fairly good candidates for pot plants if given access to bright light. The bottle palm likes to be kept warmer but will grow slower than the spindle. Have a look at the recent topic on potted bottle palms and you can see some being grown indoors.

Regards Neil

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, Kai said:

Hyophorbe lagenicaulis.

20170622_210307.thumb.jpg.dff57f203e177f

I gave it to my parents about 6 months ago. It has produced 2 leaves since and they like the palm very much.

Looks healthy, I will give it a try and order one plant :)

I've had marginal luck with both, with the bottle seemingly easier than spindle. In my experience....keeping soil on the drier side is what is key. 

I have one spindle left that never looks like much (one frond and one spear) and in the summer I keep it outside in a very sunny spot but under the eve of the house so it doesn't get rained on very much and get to much water.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I grow both the Spindle and Bottle palms in containers. They spend the mildest months (May-October) outside in part sun and overwinter in the basement under fluorescent lighting.  They do fine. Of the two, I find Spindles to be more robust and a faster grower.  BOTH will burn badly if you put them into direct sun with acclimating them to the sun gradually.

• Upvote 2