IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Euphorbias in pots

Cindy Adair

I know very little about Euphorbias. So I stressed some of these by trying full sun and not too much water like with poinsettias and Euphorbia punicea.

They are looking much better now in more shade. They do not stay on this porch full time.

These were (and are) just plain cute and caught my eye visiting Tropiflora in Sarasota last year.

Yes, they mail order even to PR!

Please tell me anything you know about these species and add photos of any Euphorbias too!

DSCN6566.thumb.jpg.1a7236633752dfab406a4

Bottom left label says E. mortar. Continuing clockwise is E. ambobonensis, E. bongolavensis and then to far right is E. iharanae.

Here are a few closer views.

DSCN6567.thumb.JPG.2094bf243b579be5de2e3

DSCN6568.thumb.jpg.a893771ea9f53072b8682

DSCN6569.thumb.jpg.de767219639e5e20e13ba

DSCN6570.thumb.jpg.f5c8f8771ede60d4e2a01

As if I needed more genera to collect!

• Upvote 3

Cindy Adair

Cindy,

The very last picture shows the proper spelling for this species; E. moratii. 

I had one, but just sold it. Too slow for me :)

• 1 month later...

Oh yah Cindy I know this thread is a little old but I have to mention Euphorbia "Diamond Frost". Does extremely well in steamy climates even with lots of wet in summer and a nice warm dry season, especially in pots. Goes on and on and on as pretty as a picture, instant filler with those wonderful airy hazy mini white bracts, you never have to water either. I can't get enough, they look like they belong in an English garden but tough as boots. Fantastic foil for dark leaved foliage plants, but anything that needs softening or as a filler to grow through. Star plant. When they get a bit too big you can simply shear them to size  no problems. Mine have proven quite long lived, had them for four years and they have developed strong thickened almost woody stems.

I would have to look up yours see what their "flower" heads look like as Im suddenly Euphorbia mad after the raging success of Diamond frost. Its a hybrid.  I love and am envious of the many that can only be grown in more temperate climates. Think there should be so many for sub-tropical and tropical climates that have just not been developed as garden plants to the same extent.

Cerdic

Non omnis moriar (Horace)

Never to late to post on PT! Thanks for the suggestion of a plant unfamiliar to me. Sounds like one I might find in FL and good to try in a pot at first here. I see it's listed at least unofficially as invasive in HI but with the preference for less water, in my part of rainy PR perhaps it would behave itself.

Very pretty.

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

12 hours ago, Cindy Adair said:

Never to late to post on PT! Thanks for the suggestion of a plant unfamiliar to me. Sounds like one I might find in FL and good to try in a pot at first here. I see it's listed at least unofficially as invasive in HI but with the preference for less water, in my part of rainy PR perhaps it would behave itself.

Very pretty.

Hi Cindy. Oh..... Im not terribly sure what that's about. It's completely sterile. Maybe it's a wait and see policy. Um what could be going on, and it is in other respects but there could be other forms that aren't completely sterile. There are now four or five different ones being marketed with different names. Basically they're all identical bar size and one is pinkish. I don't know if these are all sterile as I've only seen and grown "Diamond Frost". It's small, mounding, I just snip off the odd tiny piece thats become wayward or push it back into the plant, you can also cut it down to any size you prefer . There does seem to be some confusion as producers all jump onto the Diamond Frost bandwagon trying to market "improved", better, bigger, "diamond frosts" with interesting names like Manaus..... Some are also sold as "diamond Frost" that aren't unfortunately. Not sure but mine came from a grower in Japan and are so far completely sterile.

Yes the only reason I mentioned it is because you are in PR so might not have seen it around. Definitely something you could find in Florida but also as it's used a lot as an annual in colder climates you could probably also get it almost anywhere in summer, from Copenhagen to Somerset in the UK . It's non stop flowering habit is highly desirable, for me it goes on right through the year and is a hardy shrub. Might be an idea to try and discover if its the real thing you're buying but Im not sure how as they're identical as small plants in the nursery. :lol: Or just watch is carefully first season, it's not a rampant gower either.

Cerdic

I am headed to FL in a couple of months so will see if I can find one there to give it a try. Thanks for all the great information!

Cindy Adair

Cindy there is one way you could know if its likely to be sterile. "Diamond Frost" is a continual flowerer as a result of being sterile, so if its flowering even at a small size its probably a better bet this time of year. Others need shorter day lengths to flower so those wouldn't be in flower and perhaps also not sterile. I have one of the latter too, its a much much bigger plant but is plain green all summer. Im waiting for the dry season to see if it's worth keeping as out of flower its not much to look at.

The Diamond Frost types take extraordinary amounts of humidity and rainfall in the wet season. We can have as much as 3500mm daily with on average 81 - 91 %F. Not light rain either, carries on for weeks and weeks at a time. Its pouring right now, has been for three solid weeks. We are caught in some tropical depression loop. They like to be drier in the dry season so that works out. 

Hope you find one sure you will be delighted, its like a tropical Gypsophila paniculata. Fantastic for softening walls and hard landscaping. 

Cerdic