IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bismarckia Nobilis Palm Trimming Work_May 2017

Kris

Dear Friends,

We cleaned our Bismarckia Nobilis palm's dried and old fronds as it was sheltering Centipede and Millipede .The dried fronds din't seem to fall off on its own,So we decided to clean it using some tools.The chain saw disc used here was very handy,were able to complete the work more quickly as it was far lighter than a regular chain saw unit.This disc is from King Arthur's Tools,U.S.A .

Stills and videos of that cleaning work is in the next post.

Love,

Kris.

• Upvote 2

love conquers all..

43278.gif

1 hour ago, V-Cycle said:

All with no shoes on.  Ouch!  Hurts my feet to watch.

Dear Lenny,

I do share your concern and got your point. Actually he does have a set of footwear and i do provide the necessary protection gear like eye googles,hardware gloves and dust protection mask,But if the person does not use them what to do.

By the way the person behind the camera is me,even iam moving around without wearing a footwear.Since inside our property there are no thorns or sharp stones to worry about getting hurt.

Anyway your concern for the workers is much appreciated.God bless you for your kind heart.

Love,

Kris.

• Upvote 5

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Awesome! I always love seeing videos here, they are very enjoyable to watch. Thank you for posting these! I also saw you W. filifera video.

• Upvote 1

PalmTreeDude

The palm looks very nice after the shave!

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Always love to see your progress updates Kris. I bet your family has grown as well as your palms. Fine results when Love is given!

Always the best to you my friend!

Love,

Bill

• Upvote 2

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Hi Chris,

Nice vid.

What kind of disc do you use on the angle grinder?

Here are some pics of our Bismarckia cleaning after the last cyclone.

There is a man in that palm 40 to 50 feet up.

Jim

big bird.jpg

bizi cleaning.jpg

• Upvote 6

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).

On 6/4/2017, 6:56:31, PalmTreeDude said:

Awesome! I always love seeing videos here, they are very enjoyable to watch. Thank you for posting these! I also saw you W. filifera video.

Thanks very much and glad you liked the videos.

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

On 6/4/2017, 7:58:41, Kim said:

The palm looks very nice after the shave!

Dear Kim thanks.

On 6/5/2017, 8:22:14, BS Man about Palms said:

Always love to see your progress updates Kris. I bet your family has grown as well as your palms. Fine results when Love is given!

Always the best to you my friend!

Love,

Bill

Dear Bill,

Very happy you liked it,And its your idea of soil amendments and raised level planting has worked wonders for my palm planting work,especially for the desert varieties.

And as you said growing palms and raising a family is a wonderful experience,Before joining this forum i was of the belief that life was much simpler and easy to live like a bachelor.But after seeing some of our palmtalk members with children and grand children i made up my mind as to never be alone in life..."Life is beautiful when you have more people around you".

Once again thanks and also wish you the very best,

Lots of love to you,

Kris.

12 hours ago, avanza said:

awesome Kris

fast growth more than i expect.

Dear Siriwat,

Thanks,Yes its fast and i have noticed that there roots have anchored to the clayey soil which is surrounding this palm root ball,i.e initially while planting the dug up pit was refilled only with washed river sand so that it does not rot during our wet warm winters.Which we call here as monsoon rainy season.

We have stopped feeding it with fertz and water,only when the soil and the weather is dry we gently water its root area.So to say its managing on its own..:)

Love,

Kris.

• Upvote 2

love conquers all..

43278.gif

6 hours ago, fiji jim said:

Hi Chris,

Nice vid.

What kind of disc do you use on the angle grinder?

Here are some pics of our Bismarckia cleaning after the last cyclone.

There is a man in that palm 40 to 50 feet up.

Jim

Dear Jim,

Glad to hear from you,its been a long time we spoke.:)

Jim nice stills from you garden,i must say it does look more like jurassic park."There is a Jungle out there"_ i meant its very beautiful to thy eyes.I live in concrete jungle,very less of green cover in my city.

In my Disc these are the details written on it :

King Arthur's Tools : Lancelot 14 Tooth,Part no # 45814.

5/8" (16mm) Center Hole.

May Tandem Mount.

Made in the U.S

Here is a video of that product, this can be ordered from their site :

http://www.katools.com/shop/carving-tools-lancelot-squire-cutters-c-21_30.html

Or from www.amazon.com

For details on blade size and type :

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Excellent video...thanks for sharing Kris...

BTW, how old is it and where it's located ... mine seems happy hear but move like a turtle...I m not even sure it could as big as yours ever :( 

IMG_0582.JPG

• Upvote 2

Thanks Kris,

Looks like a chainsaw chain set on the disc.

One would have to be careful not to go too deep and cut the trunk.

However it must save much time compared to us using a stanley blade (box-cutter)

Happy growing,

Jim

• Upvote 1

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).

18 hours ago, Mohsen said:

Excellent video...thanks for sharing Kris...

BTW, how old is it and where it's located ... mine seems happy hear but move like a turtle...I m not even sure it could as big as yours ever :( 

Dear Mohsen,

Thanks very much. I assume that our palm is around 12 years old.And its growing in a semi shade region in our garden.And this palm is growing in Chennai,South India. You can always monitor my climate from weather underground in my signature.

Here the climate is never cool but warm,hot and hottest and our rainy season is warm and wet,which we call as winter.

And coming to your bizzie palm,It took around 12 years for my palm to grow to that size,your's might take 14 years.Initially all heavy palms start slow.And i feed my palms with D.A.P(Di-Ammonium-Phosphate) and ample root watering when the soil is dry.

Here is a link to a old thread on this palm :

Love,

Kris.

Edited by Kris
  • Upvote 1

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 4 months later...

Dear Friends,

Just came across a new cutting machine,And iam interested in buying it when available in my place.At the moment only available in the European market with a voltage from 220-230Volts AC for its12 volt battery charger unit.BTW.The unit is cordless and very small and handy which could be used to trim small palm fronds and for cleaning the palm trunk.

Those who want to see this unit,visit the links given below :

https://youtu.be/O2oC111pm_U

https://youtu.be/aAIhLPc7t4s

EasyCut 12

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Hi Kris,

I think you should keep your current equipment (angle grinder + lancelot disk), it is easy to sterilize, unlike that mini chainsaw ;

I've lost a big date palm (~35 feet) to Thielaviopsis paradoxa (http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pp143), and I learned the hard way the importance of fungal disease prevention, especially in very wet and hot climatic conditions ;

38269171771_114386a69a_o.jpg

Edited by Nakheel1412
  • Upvote 2

I personally have been using a box cutter to clean up trunks, plus a saw and a lopper for the petioles, I prefer these since I'm not a professional and might hurt myself with power tools :
(I'm not advertising this brand, it's just to show you what I'm using ; Any equivalent equipment from a good brand will do the job)
pruningsaw55.pngpruningsecateurs11.png
This being said, to prune trees, that mini chainsaw is a marvel, I have to admit that :)

Edited by Nakheel1412
  • Upvote 1

Dear Omar,

Thanks for all the above information.Those tools that you have posted i have it.And being a vegetarian i find it difficult to work on manual tools so their is always a desire for power tools of miniature size,battery operated and less noisy.Though most of the gardening work is done by my assistants,I still love to work and play my part in our garden on my leisure time.

And for tree climbing and cutting there are professionals who bring their own manual tools and they are good at their work.Till now i have not sterilized their tools.And they don't like any one touching it either..Though i always wanted to clean their knives with either Kerosene or WD 40 spray before starting our work but it did not materialise ! 

Luckily we do not have much of fungus infection problems and weevil damages as of now.And we never trim palms or trees in rainy season/Winters.Only early summers all frond trimming work is done and we never clean the plants/palms leaves using ground water through a garden hose.Cleaning occurs only due to advent of rain.(The natural way).

Thanks once again and lots of love,

Kris.

• Upvote 1

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kris,

I  have used the Makita cordless but a smaller model than you show and found it very good for one-handed operating and a great tool for trimming green wood. That one had a bar only 8" and a standard width and pitch chain.

Now I have 2 of the Stihl cordless range and find them far superior in power and battery life and faster to recharge and with 2 batteries I am never without power. These are the pole-pruner HTA85 and regular saw MSA200C with 36 Volt, 6 Ah Li-ion batteries that charge in 20 minutes. The chains and bars are a new style that is about half the width of a normal chain so therefore less wood is cut so less torque on the saw and less drain on the battery. However one needs to be aware that these chains are not as strong as normal and if one has a pinched chain you need to free it without pulling on the saw as these chains will bend on the joining links.

All up, I consider these the best working tools that I have used. No fuel mixing, no starter cords, no noise, no smell or exhaust. Just add chain oil. Great for horticultural uses but if doing forestry felling all day one would still be best with a more powerful regular saw.

Now I want to get the same in a hedge-trimmer and brushcutter.

Jim

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, fiji jim said:

Hi Kris,

I  have used the Makita cordless but a smaller model than you show and found it very good for one-handed operating and a great tool for trimming green wood. That one had a bar only 8" and a standard width and pitch chain.

All up, I consider these the best working tools that I have used. No fuel mixing, no starter cords, no noise, no smell or exhaust. Just add chain oil. Great for horticultural uses but if doing forestry felling all day one would still be best with a more powerful regular saw.

Now I want to get the same in a hedge-trimmer and brushcutter.

Jim

Dear Jim,

Thanks for the info.When professionals interact on the pros and cons of the tools.It becomes much easier to decide which one is actually useful and beneficial for many members who are palm enthusiasts.I.e those who don't use these tools on daily or regular basis. 

Thanks very much for the feedback.

Lots of love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Any flowers yet Kris. Mine is just a tad larger and is pushing its first inflow. Do they have both flowers or will I need two plants to make woopie?

BTW: OSHA has some concerns here... Yuk Yuk

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?

On 11/8/2017, 11:24:41, Nakheel1412 said:

I personally have been using a box cutter to clean up trunks, plus a saw and a lopper for the petioles, I prefer these since I'm not a professional and might hurt myself with power tools :
(I'm not advertising this brand, it's just to show you what I'm using ; Any equivalent equipment from a good brand will do the job)
pruningsaw55.pngpruningsecateurs11.png
This being said, to prune trees, that mini chainsaw is a marvel, I have to admit that :)

I use these same tools too plus throw in the Sawz-All with the long Bush-wacker blade for the heavier stuff.

• Upvote 1

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?

52 minutes ago, The Germinator said:

Any flowers yet Kris. Mine is just a tad larger and is pushing its first inflow. Do they have both flowers or will I need two plants to make woopie?

BTW: OSHA has some concerns here... Yuk Yuk

Dear Ed,

Bismarckia Palms need a male and a female to produce viable seeds..Our Bizzy palm here has not flowered yet,So i do not know wheather its a male or female palm at the moment.

And also thanks for the information on the garden tools that you use.

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif