IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My new palm

palm789

I recieved this,With nearly 90cm of trunk,its the biggest i bought,and had trouble lifting it,it looks like it flowered before will it again?i want to plant it but will be moving in a year to a bigger property as im expecting :) ,so it has to stay in the nursery pot,but will it do well in that pot for a year?will it grow equally as well as a small one in the ground,how often should i  water a palm this big and fert it,im asking as all my other trachys are in the ground.thanks

IMG_20170603_095836.jpg

IMG_20170603_100707.jpg

IMG_20170603_100712.jpg

• Upvote 3

Trachycarpus are good pot culture subjects. You'll have very few issues while you wait to relocate.

• Upvote 1

If It's only for 12 months I would leave well alone and not disturb the roots. I would put a couple of tea spoons of slow release fertiliser in the pot to keep it ticking over. Watering could be more of a problem as there is not a lot of soil in the pot, especially if you go on holiday for a number of days. You could stand the pot in a tray of water that may help you.:greenthumb:

• Upvote 1

Thanks for advice, 

20 minutes ago, Jungle Jas. said:

If It's only for 12 months I would leave well alone and not disturb the roots. I would put a couple of tea spoons of slow release fertiliser in the pot to keep it ticking over. Watering could be more of a problem as there is not a lot of soil in the pot, especially if you go on holiday for a number of days. You could stand the pot in a tray of water that may help you.:greenthumb:

Thanks for advice, the only fert I got left is palm focus liquid fertilizer, should I apply it mixed with 2 liters of water is that sufficient?, also how often would you water this palm a week with how much water? I'm asking as trachys are weird in pots. 

It really is impossible to tell you how often to water the palm as it depends on many variables just don't let it dry out. In a pot that size I doubt you could over water it anyway. Trackys do like a lot of water. I can't help you with your fertiliser as I don't use the same type  as you, just do what it says on the container.  If you ever come up my way let me know, I may be able to find you some palm seedlings I have spare.:greenthumb:

13 hours ago, Jungle Jas. said:

It really is impossible to tell you how often to water the palm as it depends on many variables just don't let it dry out. In a pot that size I doubt you could over water it anyway. Trackys do like a lot of water. I can't help you with your fertiliser as I don't use the same type  as you, just do what it says on the container.  If you ever come up my way let me know, I may be able to find you some palm seedlings I have spare.:greenthumb:

on the bottle all it says is 5ml per liter of water yet i still not sure how many liters of diluted palm focus to give

That palm should be just fine in its container for a year. If you have doubts you can always upsize the pot one size.  I just fill with some preferred potting mix, lift out of current container and put in new one without ever touching the roots, then fill in sides around root ball with more mix.    Watering depends on how much rain you get and sun and all that.  Hot dry conditions with loads of sun will require more frequent watering.  Cooler, cloudy / rainy / damp conditions much less watering, and do be sure the water runs out of the bottom, and do not place a saucer under it.  Looking forward to seeing how it does and seeing its new home. Its a beauty! 

even though this will be kept in nursery pot for few months my question is will it still grow in that pot and if so how fast?

Yes it will grow in a pot, but much slower the. An established palm in the ground. I would repot it I to a bigger, deeper pot so it can get busy bulking up the roots before you plant it, which should make it take off quicker when you do.