IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dioon edule which variant??

Mandrew968

I had these plants and just figured I would plant them where it is too dry and too sunny for most palms. I would like to know if anyone could give me an ID on them. Maybe even if someone wants to give a breakdown of all the edule varieties, that would be helpful to a lot of us...

This first one, below is pretty huge for an edule, but I don't know much about cycads... Can anyone tell me what variety it may be? Thanks in advance

20170602_154332.jpg

20170602_154345.jpg

• Upvote 2

Here is the second plant. Looks like an edule, but looks different from the first post to me. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

20170602_154352.jpg

• Upvote 1

Good timing with planting these guys-not an hour later and the rains are here!

20170602_170121.jpg

• Upvote 1

The dioon species I know of are:

Dioon edule "jacala hidalgo
Dioon edule "Palma sola"
Dioon edule "queretaro blue"
Dioon edule "rio verde"
Dioon edule "edule"

I am not very good with identifications but if I was to guess I would say maybe the "rio verde" or "jacala hidalgo". Hopefully someone else could give u a positive id. Nice score though. Those are definitely old dioons. 
  • Upvote 1

I also planted this but I don't think its an edule with those keeled leaves.

20170602_154405.jpg

5 hours ago, Mandrew968 said:

Closer look of the keeled leaf Dioon. Califanoi?

20170603_130857.jpg

This one looks different than the pictures in your last couple of posts and looks like it could be a Califanoi. Some of the leafs appear to have the "v" shape and stacked leaf characteristic of a Califanoi. The leaflets of the Califanoi are arranged like a "v" on the rachi. Here are a couple pictures of one of mine if it helps. Definity some nice additions to the garden whatever they are. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The flush color helps identify as well. I have a lot of rio verde which flush purple/brown. The queretaro blue stays blue which is easy. However i have four other big edule that lool similar to you. I think one is actually an angustifolia though.  Here is a pic of one of my bigger ones.

20170520_153711.jpg

• Upvote 2

On 6/2/2017, 1:40:47, Mandrew968 said:

I had these plants and just figured I would plant them where it is too dry and too sunny for most palms. I would like to know if anyone could give me an ID on them. Maybe even if someone wants to give a breakdown of all the edule varieties, that would be helpful to a lot of us...

This first one, below is pretty huge for an edule, but I don't know much about cycads... Can anyone tell me what variety it may be? Thanks in advance

20170602_154332.jpg

Nice looking plant.  I'll add another variety of Dioon edule which is the Palma Sola variety.  This one is just finishing a flush in Carlsbad.  At some point, I will probably need to extract that agave next to it.

20170608-104A6652.jpg

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Nice looking plants Tracy!

That agave looks like it's preparing to bloom so it might do you the favor and "remove" itself soon. 

On 6/8/2017, 3:48:24, Tracy said:

Nice looking plant.  I'll add another variety of Dioon edule which is the Palma Sola variety.  This one is just finishing a flush in Carlsbad.  At some point, I will probably need to extract that agave next to it.

20170608-104A6652.jpg

2 hours ago, Jdiaz31089 said:

That agave looks like it's preparing to bloom so it might do you the favor and "remove" itself soon.

Actually the Agave already bloomed.  It's tough to see, but it is pushing out a couple of pups near the base, which will survive the soon to die mother plant.  Between the Dioon and the Encephalartos lebomboensis, there won't be room for the Agave eventually.  They all looked fine when I planted them... which is often the case, but at some point you have to pick favorites, winners and losers.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mandrew968 said:

This one is flushing-I swear, they like to be moved...

20170623_174648.jpg

20170623_182333.jpg

That's a pretty darn healthy flush too, especially since you just planted it. Was it dug up or was it in a pot? Either way it seems very happy and is thriving in its new location. 

It was in a pot that had gone into the ground; had to break roots to get it free, and even more to remove it from the pot.

This is from just a few minutes ago. Can anyone tell me the variety it is now?

20170627_164107.jpg

20170627_164043.jpg

20170627_164054.jpg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mandrew968 said:

20170627_164054.jpg

Love the color of the flush, whichever variant of the species it is!  Great score.  Interesting that you noted how they seemed to flush quickly in response to getting planted/moved (from a pot into the ground it sounds).  I experienced the same thing with a Ceratozamia which I had in pots (sequentially) for years, and put into the ground this last year.  It had the most robust flush of it's life after stalling.  I also was discussing Encephalartos laurentianus tendency to flush late and get damaged by winter wind/damp/cold.  It was suggested to me that I could "trick" my E laurentianus into flushing earlier by disturbing it's root system a little by perhaps digging near it.  While not a permanent solution to the late flushes, it could be used in the short run.   So it appears that some cycads are responsive to a little "disturbance".  I can confirm that other cycads have gone into deep trauma though, so don't know if I'm trying to read too much into the tea leaves or if there is a genus and/or species specific response.  Good luck with the hunt for the ID on this, I'm sure someone will be more likely to recognize it with the additional clues from the flush color.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, it's fully flushed and hardened off. I told myself to be careful when testing the leaf to see if it was no longer soft-still it stuck me! Edule does not play!

20170720_155341.jpg

And it looks like a bird laid an egg in this one... Guessing it's a male?

20170720_155324.jpg

On 6/27/2017, 4:53:50, Mandrew968 said:

This is from just a few minutes ago. Can anyone tell me the variety it is now?

20170627_164107.jpg

20170627_164043.jpg

20170627_164054.jpg

This is a Rio verde