IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Texas Sabals, Little Giants

Brian F. Austin

Here are some Sabal Mexicanas(?) in Austin. I wanted to show how crazy long the petioles are. Much longer then the 35"-47" that wikipedia states, more like 144++" :)

They seem to be most impressive at this size and perspective. I put the camera on a timer and added some fuzzy Doofus in the photos for scale.

These are all from the Laguna Gloria Sculpture Park where they are growing near oaks and cypress. I have many of these growing from seed along with S. Uresana and S. Causiarum too. - thanks Joseph! I can only imagine what those will look like size-wise in the future.

The sunny shot of the flowers is a week earlier than the shady one.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Edited by Brian F. Austin
werds
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 10

Great post Brian. Those are some great looking sabals. I have always liked S. mexicana more than S. palmetto because they are so much bigger...at least from what I've seen.

Having you in the photos definitely gives needed perspective. If you hadn't been in the shots, I don't think I would have been able to tell just how big they really are.

4 minutes ago, Ben OK said:

Having you in the photos definitely gives needed perspective. If you hadn't been in the shots, I don't think I would have been able to tell just how big they really are.

Thanks Ben, I was also thinking of what a sabal palmetto would look like at this age/height.

2v2.jpg

2.jpg

• Upvote 1

Wow is all I can say... Those are some beautiful palms indeed. Sabals have always been one of my favourties. Thanks for the pics.:D

• Upvote 1

Great habitat photos! Thanks.

• Upvote 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Hi Brian,

nice looking seedling. You surely have to wait some time until it's as big as on your first pictures. I also have a few small seedlings of Sabal palmetto and Sabal minor grown from seeds I collected in 2015 during a trip along the east cost.

I too love to grow palms from seed as you can watch them growing. Unfortunately here in Germany most of them have to stay in pots.

Keep us updated.

Eckhard

• Upvote 1

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

WOW those are some massive Sabals leaves & long petioles, thanks for sharing you pics. :D

• Upvote 1

Great photos! Thanks for sharing. Sabals are my favorite kinds of palms and these photos make it clear why. 

• Upvote 1

I am wondering if the petioles are longer because they are in shade vs full sun

20170605_092801.jpg

5 hours ago, Umbrae said:

20170605_092801.jpg

That was my first thought too.  I've seen many different palm species have much larger fronds / longer petioles when grown in part or full shade.  That said, those ones in the original posts are amazing to see!  They look so giant, like prehistoric sized!  A dinosaur roaming there between them would look right at home! 

On 6/5/2017, 9:29:14, Umbrae said:

20170605_092801.jpg

Agreed.  S. texanas have huge canopies before they trunk, once they grow into the sun they start to look more "normal".  You can see the difference in the third picture between the tall and short palms. One of my favorites, and knock out specimens. Thanks for posting. 

22 hours ago, DCA_Palm_Fan said:

That was my first thought too.  I've seen many different palm species have much larger fronds / longer petioles when grown in part or full shade.  That said, those ones in the original posts are amazing to see!  They look so giant, like prehistoric sized!  A dinosaur roaming there between them would look right at home! 

A dinosaur would most definitely look appropriate in that first shot. The scale of those palms is something to really experience in person. 

They definitely grow in shady spots. I'll see if I can find some other sabals growing in sunnier spots. They do seem to have shorter petioles once they get some height. Here's some other shots of the fronds, some show a small yellow window around the hastula. I've read on palmtalk that the yellow window is also on bermudana and causiarum. Also I don't think I've seen one with a trunk as light as the one posted above^^. They all seem to be very dark here as you can see in the photos with the sculpture. I'm not sure if that has to do with environment or genes.

There's 2 photos showing some of the taller trees on the upper grounds. For scale, I think the "Looking Up" sculpture is 33.3 feet tall.

5DS_0162.jpg

5DS_0165.jpg

5DS_0179.jpg

5DS_0192.jpg

5DS_0197.jpg

5DS_0214.jpg

5DS_0215.jpg

5DS_0216.jpg

5DS_0220.jpg

5DS_0222.jpg

5DS_0226.jpg

5DS_0242.jpg

5DS_0243.jpg

5DS_0692.jpg

0473.jpg

• Upvote 3

About 25 years ago, I gathered a bunch of seeds from the ground there in Mayfield Park, to see if I could sprout any of them. They ALL sprouted.

I planted one of those seedlings in my backyard a mile or two east of there, in the Rosedale section of Austin. It grew way faster than I expected.

sabal.jpg

• Upvote 3

...and a 2nd-floor perspective, with a better view of the crown. The yellow-y color is due to sunset lighting. They're actually the typical olive green they get when growing in full sun.

By the way, here is a thread I posted last year with pictures of some of the same palms, in winter: http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/48435-sabal-mexicana-naturalizing-in-austin. In a decade or so, Mayfield and Laguna Gloria might look a lot like the forest in the Audubon Sabal Palm Sanctuary in south Texas.

sabal2.jpg

• Upvote 1

That's awesome, I think I'm about 25 years behind you with my sabals. Your tree looks great, heavy with flowers too. It looks just like the healthy trees at Mayfield. I saw your photos from Mayfield and Laguna, some were the same trees!