IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trachycarpus Fortunei

Derrick Edge

I have an 8ft. tall Trachycarpus Fortunei which is generally healthy.

However the lower branches still remain and are partially yellow

and I wonder if their removal would improve the palms growth?

Is there any guidance regarding if or when to remove lower branches?

The palm has just recently produced about five large blooms! How often 

should it flower?

As you can gather, I have never had a garden with such a palm before, so all advice

regarding their care would be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely, Derrick Edge, Dublin,Ireland  

• Like 1

I have no direct experience with Trachycarpus, but if you consider the palm to be borderline for your climate, don't remove leaves until they are "brown and down." That may depend on how many healthy green leaves you have -- 3? A dozen?  I welcome someone else with experience to correct me! :)

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

They typically flower once a year in the spring.  Do not remove any yellow fronds, only dry brown ones.

Don't remove the fronds until they are brown and truly dead. Trachys need a potassium/ magnesium boost as they often get this deficiency as it sounds your palms have. Go buy a Sul-Po-Mag suppliment. By removing green or yellow or orange- still alive- fronds you are robbing the tree of what trace nutrients are in the leaf that the palm might use for future growth.

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

Hmmm, I always remove trachy leaves below the 3 / 9 oclock position. Even still green ones & never have an issue.