IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Gardening Australia 27/05/2017

Neil C

Thanks guys, it's always my pleasure to promote palms to anyone who will listen and I'm sorry I didn't give pre warning of the segment here on PT!!! I have a lot happening family wise ATM but thank you very much Neil for doing it for me!! If that link doesn't work for anyone then please try the one below......

its not everyday you get to talk palms on Australian national TV and it's a pity they cut our 3 hour chat down to 5 minutes but it's better than nothing and I won't complain :D

http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/video/default.htm?clip=http://mpegmedia.abc.net.au/tv/gardeningaus/prog_streams/palm_ep13_2017.mp4&title=Picking%20a%20Palm

• Upvote 7

Awesome Ben, I thought it was a nice presentation. With today's attention spans, it was to the point and informative for the edited time. 

Your nursery looks fantastic, we'll be coming back one of these days and I look forward to loitering a bit under the shade cloth. 

We'll get that Paul guy to come along with us and maybe buy him something too.  

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Cool. Whereabouts in Brisbane are you located.

Next time I am in oz I will visit.

Jim

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).

Well done Ben! Came across as very professional...I guess they can't mention Palms for Brisbane as it would be a form of advertising, but thought it was funny that they said 'Pallara' not Morningside :lol:, although it looks like it was filmed at Will and Margarets?

Here is the non-flash version of the clip...  Gardening Australia  

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Great Job Ben

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Yes Daryl they didn't want to film at the shop because they wanted to avoid palms for Brisbane signage appearing etc so we decided to film at will and Margaret's as we have more palms there than we do at the shop anyway.

Tim and Jim, anytime you guys (or anyone else for that matter) are in Brisbane please do contact me and I'm always happy to show people around! 

Thanks for the nice comments from everyone 

• Upvote 1

Well done Ben. Handled like a true professional. Let's hope there will be a bit more interest in palms.

Steve

It was so professional you might get a job offer from them :) , is it true you have autograph hunters looking for you :winkie:

Good Job Ben

regards

colin

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

That was great!  I hope it sparks some palm interest, especially for your nursery.  And I learned something about Kentiopsis oliviformis, its much more adaptable than I thought.  Maybe I will get some to try here, next time I have a chance.  

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

20 hours ago, palmad Merc said:

Great tv viewing Ben.

It's good to put a face to the name

Regards Merc from Sydney

Howdy Merc, glad you enjoyed it. 

21 hours ago, palmtreesforpleasure said:

It was so professional you might get a job offer from them :) , is it true you have autograph hunters looking for you :winkie:

Good Job Ben

regards

colin

No autograph hunters Colin but it has stirred up some palm interest for sure! A lady came to nursery yesterday wanting a unique Palm cause she saw the segment. Since it's the publicly funded tv station they cannot advertise companies etc....... I showed her some palms and I said "these actually featured in the segment you watched"...... she said to me "oh did you see it as well did you"

She had no idea she had stumbled into the nursery that helped with the segment and she certainly didn't ask for an autograph :lol:

I have had a lot of positive comments from many many people, and I appreciate that!

• Upvote 4

Brilliant Ben. You are an ambassador for the palm growing community. I liked how you chose palms that weren't the stock standard Bunnings species and also some ones that can grow down south as well. I think increasing palm growing popularity would be greatly improved by breaking the misconception that palms are too hard to grow in the southern states. My only criticism is that it only went for a few minutes...this calls for a spin-off. Ben's Palm World;)

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SirOxylon said:

Brilliant Ben. You are an ambassador for the palm growing community. I liked how you chose palms that weren't the stock standard Bunnings species and also some ones that can grow down south as well. I think increasing palm growing popularity would be greatly improved by breaking the misconception that palms are too hard to grow in the southern states. My only criticism is that it only went for a few minutes...this calls for a spin-off. Ben's Palm World;)

Thanks for the compliments Daniel, it really is my pleasure to promote cool and different palms. As for the spin off....... sure I would do it :lol:

• Upvote 1