IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Are these Mauritius volunteers?

bubba

I purchased a Hyophorbe verschaffelti (Spindle Palm) approximately 13 years ago from Jeff Searle at the Fairchild Gardens sale. Since that time, this palm has grown to an impressive 15-20 feet tall with an extremely thick and robust trunk. It flowers frequently and sometime between five and seven years ago, I began to notice what had to be volunteers throughout our yard. These volunteers continue unabated and are all in various stages located throughout our property. I know that this species of Arecaceae, which is indigenous to the Rodriques Island in Mauritius, is critically endangered. Please view these palms of various stages to confirm my belief that I am party to a large number of Mauritius volunteers:

IMG_0556.JPG

• Upvote 2

What you look for is what is looking

Some of the oldest Mauritian volunteers actually leapt into the hedge in my front yard:

IMG_0634.JPG

Another younger volunteer I believe in my front yard near the last palm:

IMG_0636.JPG

In the forest beyond the trees:

IMG_0638.JPG

Found this under one of these in the next frame:

IMG_0640.JPG

I bought this from Jeff Searle also:

IMG_0626.JPG

Volunteers next to Mr. Searles product again:

IMG_0552.JPG

More what I believe to be volunteers. I am attempting not to make this a Jeff Searle commercial but the specimen in the next frame was purchased from Jeff

IMG_0633.JPG

African Oil simply too large to capture on film:

IMG_0631.JPG

Another volunteer next to one of numerous ridiculously huge Dypsis decaryii next to the pool:

IMG_0621.JPG

Simply too big to get the full monty:

IMG_0549.JPG

Another volunteer under this specimen in next frame:

IMG_0618.JPG

This is a red Latan that is not very red:

IMG_0536.JPG

This grows under the palm in the next frame:

IMG_0607.JPG

Sweet Chambeyronia macrocarpa that shoots out a beautiful red shoot at different times of the year:

IMG_0620.JPG

Dueling Chamby's on separate sides of the pool:

IMG_0625.JPG

Found growing nearby a Florida native:

IMG_0572.JPG

Pseudophoenix sargentii purchased from you know who:

IMG_0605.JPG

• Upvote 1

Volunteer from the pool growing underneath another three-year-old specimen:

IMG_0599.JPG

Another angle for this young Carpoxylon macrospermum:

IMG_0546.JPG

• Upvote 1

This little volley growing very close to the four specimens in the next frame:

IMG_0608.JPG

Bought these four Veitchia montgomeryanas as five footers from you know who at the Fairchild Gardens sale in 2009. They are now 40 foot plus and show no signs of slowing down:

IMG_0568.JPG

• Upvote 1

A lot of Oil Palm volunteers, which might be distinguished by the spikes at the base of the leaflets. The other volunteers I do not recognize.

The sun sets but also rises on the misty morning Mauritian stranger in a strange land with what I believe to be a plethora of little Mauritian strangers all at various stages but all of whom will be preserved and allowed to grow as they show up:

IMG_0597.JPG

• Upvote 1

Masatepino has thrown me for a loop and I have been researching pictures of the youngest seedlings and juveniles I can locate to compare African Oil Palms to Spindles. "The spike at the end of the leaflet" distinction is compelling but my review of the volunteers in my yard and pictures of juvenile Spindles shows that juvenile Spindles also share a pointed leaflet end. 

However, it appears that I have a mixture of juvenile African Oil Palms and Spindles. After Masatepino's comments I believe without question the third specimen is an African Oil juvenile. That stated, the juveniles in pictures 4 and 6 are without question Spindles. The proximity of juveniles 2,5 and 8 to the older juveniles in front yard cause me to believe that they are Spindles. I mistakenly identified 2 as being close to the large Spindle in my backyard.

The  juvenile in my backyard close to the Licuala grandis I  believe to be a Spindle juvenile  because of its proximity to the large  spindle in my backyard. Because the  Alexander, the Chamby's, the Dypsis decaryii, the Red Latan and the Sargent Cherry Palm are in my backyard in equal proximity  between my large Spindle and my African Oil, I am  suspending judgment until these juveniles grow larger and present more attributes. Judging small specimens and their identity is out of my league. Any commentary or guesses would be greatly appreciated.

This one looks like a Ptychosperma. Here we have millions of Ptychosperma macarthurii volunteers. Weeds now.

IMG_0607.JPG

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).

That is the problem. All the small babies seem to look the same. Any experts?