IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Siam Ruby

Umbrae

I personally want some of those so bad but every time I get one it rots and dies. Probably should try again soon but when ordering from places like Florida they have trouble adapting to less humidity as a small plant.

I jumped on these when i found them at a sort of out of the way, off the beaten path place ... trouble is I am only in that are when I am working and cant really take the time to talk plants with the owner and dont have the space to really load up like i would like to do. 

Those are some of the best places to go to. Now that I saw this thread I'm looking into possibly ordering another and try again. Only problem is they're a little small and that's iffy for small bananas. Some take others don't 

Great Musa and the more sun they get the more intense the red becomes. 

• Upvote 1

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

• 3 years later...

Bump...Anyone else growing this one.  It has to be the most attractive banana I have seen.  Though they might be tied with the variegated ones.

I've tried the Siam Ruby and the inverse one that's lime green with the red stripes called "Margarita."  I tried them from Green's nursery and a mailorder place in Debary, FL or Deland, FL.  I can't remember the name.  But they all died quickly.  It might be because I planted them in October or November and they didn't have time to get roots down before winter.  But the other ~15-20 bananas I planted at the same time all survived.

I've had good luck with Thai Black from Wellspring Gardens in Lakeland FL.  That one is now about 10-12' tall with 2 pups.  It's not as "black" on the stem now that it's older, but it is still really nice!

• Upvote 2

I plan on ordering one from Aloha Tropicals when I can.  I saw a larger one not for sale at Lukas Nursery here and they are stunning.

I wonder if cold sensitivity is the only major issue for cultivating these?  I have my share of cold sensitive plants for sure.

• Like 1

I suspect that cold sensitivity was one of my problems.  They melted in that one cold snap that went to ~30F most of the night and 1 hour plunge to 25-26F.  Most of my other naners were fine, maybe a little leaf burn.  I've bought most of my bananas from Greenhousebusiness.com or Wellspring Gardens.  I remember seeing Lukas with the Siam Ruby on sale last fall, they had about 200 pots on one of their rolling trailers with a big sign $10 each.

• Upvote 1

Going to give these a roll myself.  The red matches the Caladiums and Hawaiian Ti plants I've used in other areas.  It will be interesting to see if they are able to come back from the ground.  If not, $10 isn't too large a loss.

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F