IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Areca catechu dwarf... how "dwarf"?

PalmWarbler

Any thoughts to how dwarf this A. Catechu looks to those in the know? Would you need more photos to help make a more accurate opinion?

Interested in these palms but mostly just the "dwarf" variety.

2017 5-25 pic 1.JPG

• Upvote 2

It does not look super dwarf to me. Mine were very obviously different even as germinating seeds.Mine had almost no petiole.

• Upvote 1

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Does not look dwarf at all...

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

They might be semi-dwarfs. They are still young so might show more "dwarfish" characteristics in the future but will never look like Scottgt's. At  the spring Palm Beach sale I was told by Ryan that adapting them to full sun will accentuate those features, so I've moved mine out into the yard. He also told me you can't reliably determine level of dwarfism until a palm was at least 3g size.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Anyone have pictures of a confirmed true dwarf plant anywhere around that size, that might help me in my search, knowing exactly what to look for.

There have been several threads about this topic in the past -- you can just use the search function to find them.  But I agree with Meg -- it's probably way too early to find out.    Mine was about 2 .5 feet tall in overall height before I could confirm to myself that I had a true dwarf. 

• Upvote 2

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

• 6 months later...

This is my stubbiest dwarf Areca catechu. Got it from Hilo Home Depot a couple of years ago in a one gallon size pot.5a349de61bdb1_dwarfbetalnut.thumb.jpg.47

dwarf betal nut.jpg

Edited by Mangosteen
double
  • Upvote 5

8 hours ago, Mangosteen said:

This is my stubbiest dwarf Areca catechu. Got it from Hilo Home Depot a couple of years ago in a one gallon size pot.5a349de61bdb1_dwarfbetalnut.thumb.jpg.47

dwarf betal nut.jpg

I love that you can go to home depot and pick up a rare dwarf a. Catechu. Oh to live in Hawaii where all of the beloved plants grow so easily. :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

So many palms, so little room

Here's my dwarf catechu. Although, I did not get mine at home depot.

20171216_081422.jpg

• Upvote 5

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

Mine came from Jeff Searle’s Depot

98FDD55B-247F-40AE-881D-3B68CC3BFED8.thu

• Upvote 5

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

My trio shown in July 2017. Purchased them in 1-gal pots from H. Eunice nursery in Hilo for $12/each, planted in September 2011.

A.catechudwarf07172017SC_0028.thumb.jpg.

• Upvote 10

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

3 hours ago, Kim said:

My trio shown in July 2017. Purchased them in 1-gal pots from H. Eunice nursery in Hilo for $12/each, planted in September 2011.

A.catechudwarf07172017SC_0028.thumb.jpg.

Wow Kim, I think those are the stumpiest ones yet!  Here’s my little guy, it went through a period where it looked like it was going to have a petiole but as it grew it became more compact.  It needed shade cloth first summer, blazing full sun now. 

0A947D62-EF30-48F9-98B5-0E97ED186397.jpeg

• Upvote 6

10 hours ago, Tracy S said:

Are you kidding? $12? Amazing. They are gorgeous.

I always think of them as my chess pieces, short and squat. They are adorable. :wub:

• Upvote 3

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

How wide across are the leaf crowns?  Just curious because I've seen some true dwarves that are about 3 feet across and some that are significantly wider.

• Upvote 1

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

Wow this thread has taken on new life suddenly! Here are my original pair, 5 months later. For some reason they look yellow in the pic but I think it's the light. They're doing great. 

2017 12-19.JPG

@PalmWarbler it looks like you live in my very small town of Stuart. Unbelievable.

So why haven't you planted those pretty little dwarves in the ground? 

We may have to plan a PRA tour day.

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

14 minutes ago, Tracy S said:

@PalmWarbler it looks like you live in my very small town of Stuart. Unbelievable.

So why haven't you planted those pretty little dwarves in the ground? 

We may have to plan a PRA tour day.

Honestly, I'm waiting to place them in a certain spot which isn't quite ready. I call it "staging", which basically means "procrastination" in my native tongue. Tour day would be fun, always nice to meet more palm aficionados. 

Just now, PalmWarbler said:

Honestly, I'm waiting to place them in a certain spot which isn't quite ready. I call it "staging", which basically means "procrastination" in my native tongue. Tour day would be fun, always nice to meet more palm aficionados. 

Lol.

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a