IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Brahea Moorei

SHEP

It's finally starting to set seed.  Eight years in ground, but it was at a full one gallon before I set it out.  Any tricks to saving seed or knowing when it's ripe?                            

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Upvote 4

Great plant, Shep !  I can't help with seed info, but I want to hijack your thread ! :floor:

I have various seedlings of this species, but they are not doing well.  Does this palm require summer warmth to advance ?  Warm temperatures are sorely lacking in my garden and many genera fail to thrive due to this absence of warmth.  Thanks for any input. :winkie:

San Francisco, California

Congrats!!!

beautiful palm.

the fruits turn from green to maroon/purple.

IMG_4306.thumb.JPG.686aa34f16aa515de9595

For germination I used zip bags and a tipmethod for germination in a threat in this forum.(you can see the cuts in the seeds).

Edited by sergiskan

Darold, I got this from Cistus Nursery in Portland, Oregon, but it was greenhouse grown, so I can't say it really needs heat.  They told me the smaller ones that were with it were from tissue culture.  The other one I have seen, besides Glenn's, is at Berkeley Horticultural, and it was in a sunny location.  The one I got from you a few years ago, I put in the ground, and it is chugging along.  It's in modest shade, but hasn't turned silver yet.  I think you told me that they do better when they are younger in shade, or that could have been Patric. 

Hi Darold, here is a 1992 Principes article about the habitat of several Braheas including moorei:

http://www.palms.org/principes/1992/vol36n3p128-132.pdf

From this article it seems that Brahea moorei likes oak forest conditions, so it probably would grow faster with warm summers. But this article also mentioned that no Braheas grow at lower elevations so they may adapt to grow in your cloud forest conditions.

• Upvote 1

Fragrant Hill Design

www.fragranthill.com

Mountain View, California

These are definitely a shade plant for us, Cecile.  I bet Darold should have it in full sun though.  They really do well out here.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

9 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

These are definitely a shade plant for us, Cecile.  I bet Darold should have it in full sun though.  They really do well out here.

I think they look better in the shade personally, they stay nice and green. I have mine in filtered sun and they are kicking but :)

• Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

1 hour ago, Josh-O said:

I think they look better in the shade personally, they stay nice and green.

Vista shade and San Francisco "full sun" are roughly equivalent.  While things are changing (climate), my years in the Bay Area taught me that real full day sunshine doesn't arrive until the end of summer in San Francisco, and really happens at the beginning of Autumn.  Days are getting shorter there, sun isn't directly overhead and intense.  Meanwhile in mid-June, when days are the longest, fog often obscures/filters the sunlight, much like "shade" in Vista.  So for Darold, full sun might kick his plants into gear.  Some of the coldest experiences of my life weren't in the snow, but de-rigging sails across the bay from San Francisco at sunset with an icy wind blowing as the sun set... in "summer"... June.

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Thanks to all for the comments. I will keep my plants in the greenhouse until they are growing well again, then transition them to a very bright outdoor location. 

San Francisco, California

On 5/28/2017, 9:39:21, Tracy said:

Vista shade and San Francisco "full sun" are roughly equivalent.  While things are changing (climate), my years in the Bay Area taught me that real full day sunshine doesn't arrive until the end of summer in San Francisco, and really happens at the beginning of Autumn.  Days are getting shorter there, sun isn't directly overhead and intense.  Meanwhile in mid-June, when days are the longest, fog often obscures/filters the sunlight, much like "shade" in Vista.  So for Darold, full sun might kick his plants into gear.  Some of the coldest experiences of my life weren't in the snow, but de-rigging sails across the bay from San Francisco at sunset with an icy wind blowing as the sun set... in "summer"... June.

that's one way to keep the beer cold :)

Sunset zone 24

On 5/28/2017, 9:39:21, Tracy said:

that's one way to keep the beer cold :)

Sunset zone 24

here are a couple pic's of Mine. I have them planted in all day filtered sun. I decided to mimic their habitat.

IMG_2624.JPG.afa623df21e90e8f0a1079e9820IMG_2625.JPG.b2edd28a93df4cff21a74c4fa33

IMG_2626.JPG.6e397faf2b879b2b54c02ef8be2IMG_2627.JPG.dfcd68973c4d1a9eadd60d1cca4

oddly enough the smaller of the two is flowering.

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

What a beauty Josh!

Mines also will plant below a shadow tree.

my Mediterranean sun is very strong.