IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dwarf Areca Catecho

Really full garden

I have three Dwarf Areca catechu planted and they are really looking chunky now. They are holding 11-12 leaves and have a very bushy look, like feather dusters. I cannot wait for them to get about a meter of trunk so they can really be appreciated.

IMG_0765.thumb.jpg.5b0e2479798ef194ca49a

IMG_0766.thumb.jpg.e9ff30743453d47f310f9

IMG_0767.thumb.JPG.65494ca03e15920ef2544

• Upvote 3

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Those are really quite nice and remind me of the ones at Nong Nooch gardens at the Thailand IPS Biennial.

Yours look perfectly grown.

Cindy Adair

7 minutes ago, Cindy Adair said:

Those are really quite nice and remind me of the ones at Nong Nooch gardens at the Thailand IPS Biennial.

Yours look perfectly grown.

Cindy ,in this climate they are fairly effortless palms to grow. I just wish they were a little faster.

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Beautiful,I  just got one at a local nursery. Hope it looks as good as yours in the future

aloha

50 minutes ago, foxtail said:

Nice, how old and tall are them?

They are about 15yrs from seed. They have been planted in this spot for seven yrs.

36 minutes ago, scottgt said:

They are about 15yrs from seed. They have been planted in this spot for seven yrs.

Wow, I have a 'semi dwarf' and is really slow too.

Rio_Grande.gif

10 hours ago, scottgt said:

Cindy ,in this climate they are fairly effortless palms to grow. I just wish they were a little faster.

I long for your climate... I am sure you appreciate it, but appreciate it, just a little bit more--for me, will you, please?

Amazingly beautiful!  Scott, I would remove/transplant some of those bromeliads and calathea near the base of the trunk so that the trunk can be seen and appreciated more fully.  I think there is plenty there to wow about!  Great growing. Can't completely credit the climate, you know.

2 hours ago, annafl said:

Amazingly beautiful!  Scott, I would remove/transplant some of those bromeliads and calathea near the base of the trunk so that the trunk can be seen and appreciated more fully.  I think there is plenty there to wow about!  Great growing. Can't completely credit the climate, you know.

Anna , I totally agree that I need to remove the broms etc. I am going to cover the area with a crushed volcanic rock. It is a matte grey when dry and dark black when wet. I might even rake it like in a Zen garden. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mandrew968 said:

I long for your climate... I am sure you appreciate it, but appreciate it, just a little bit more--for me, will you, please?

I do. It is never hot or cold. No heat or AC needed ever.

Scott, they are wonderful! I long for your climate, too. And how I wish I could just pick one up at a local nursery.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

1 hour ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Scott, they are wonderful! I long for your climate, too. And how I wish I could just pick one up at a local nursery.

I to wish that I could just pick one up at a local nursery. Mine came from Thailand ( 10,000 + miles away).

2 hours ago, scottgt said:

I to wish that I could just pick one up at a local nursery. Mine came from Thailand ( 10,000 + miles away).

Obviously you found a truly honest dealer there. I've seen Thai vendors hawking dwarf Arecas but their photos are anything but - way too much petiole. Of course, getting one into the US and not having it "seized/stolen" is quite a risk. Even proper paperwork doesn't protect you from having a customs agent "appropriate" your purchase.

Unless someone in HI grows them for local market they have to come from somewhere, likely Thailand. My first dwarf Areca came from a dealer east of Punta Gorda. He had them shipped from Thailand. We drove to his nursery way out in the boonies so I could choose from the dozen he had - better believe I chose the one with the shortest petioles. After he sold out he never offered them again.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I got mine a few years back from Jeff Searle of Searle Bros. nursery in Southwest Ranches, Florida. I'll post a picture if you like but I didn't here because I dodn't want to hijack this thread.

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros