IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Caryota plumosa ?

sashaeffer

In a rare event Home Depots here in Omaha all received a large shipment of tropical palm trees other than the typical Majesty palms.

One that caught my eye is Caryota plumose  which I had never heard of that species of Caryota and next to nothing on Google. Anyone here ever hear of that species type before?  The leaves were very dark green, thick and leathery.

My first guess, without seeing a picture, would be that it is likely caryota mitis. They sell these often as indoor plants. 

I didn't know if Plumosa was a old name for a current species like Mitis. 

3 hours ago, sashaeffer said:

Plant tag

IMG_7925.JPG

What does the actual plant look like, C mitis?

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

It does look like plant picture on tag, just not as full but on the taller, thin(clump) side.

12 hours ago, Pando said:

http://www.gbif.org/species/3593216

Looks like Caryota plumosa is an accepted species.

No, it's not. It is a ploy to sell more of an otherwise common plant, by slapping a different name on it. Someone should slap the person...

3 hours ago, Mandrew968 said:
15 hours ago, Pando said:

http://www.gbif.org/species/3593216

Looks like Caryota plumosa is an accepted species.

No, it's not. It is a ploy to sell more of an otherwise common plant, by slapping a different name on it. Someone should slap the person...

What are you disputing? I said that according to GBIF it's an accepted species, and mentioned nothing about Home Depot's motivations.

That said, KEW does not list it as accepted species. Can anyone clear this up?

1 hour ago, Pal Meir said:

Moore in Principes 1963, p. 134:

59284fa0c3854_CaryotaplumosaMoore1963-13

Oh My God, if I remember what I was able to say or to listen in 1963 ... ! :mellow:  

But it seems you're right when you mention that Kew is the only reference, for example : "Areca gupyanna and Areca novohibernica = synonyms" Kew says.
Even if Areca novohibernica I have seen in Singapore Botanic Gardens do not ressemble to Areca Gupyanna I see in Samarakoon's garden or in our Morning Garden.

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

46 minutes ago, doranakandawatta said:

Oh My God, if I remember what I was able to say or to listen in 1963 ... ! :mellow:  

I had in 1963 two Phoenix dactylifera, one Chamaerops humilis and two Chamaedorea elegans:P

• Upvote 1

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

Pando, seeing as how it is not listed on kew nor on palmweb.org, it's not a valid name. Someone was trying to get cute, in order to make a few bucks.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so went and bought one and here are two pictures to help with accurate ID of this fishtail palm.

DSCF0298.JPG

DSCF0299.JPG

• Upvote 1

Sure looks like C. mitis, nice specimen whatever it is.  Hard to imagine HD selling any other clumping Caryota in Nebraska. 

Yes, who ever the plant buyer was for this area scored a TON of tropical palms that has never been in the area before until this year including 8/9 ft tall bottle palms, smaller foxtails, 10 ft coconuts, and even a bizzy in a 20 gallon tub which I would have bought but it was $136. Most of the other stuff was between $44-$55.

My fishtail was $44

Good grief, that's a way better selection than my HD!  And most of that group is just as likely to survive a winter in Omaha as in Houston. 

Edited by topwater