IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Roystonea new growth white then browning. New malady?

fastfeat

OK, I've been away from SoFla for awhile, so maybe this isn't new, But I don't recall this before, and I've inventoried thousands of royals over the years. (And Don Hodel said that he noticed similar growth disruption of Roystonea regia on his recent trip to Cuba.)

I've seen this on a number of mature, well-established, regularly-fertilized and -watered royals in Dade Co (North Miami Beach, Miami Springs) -- New growth emerges (to what me seems abnormally) pale, then bronzes/browns. I have not been able to harvest any fronds to inspect for insects/mites. (Maybe someone here has?) It would seem that this may be something new, as older growth is typically dark and healthy. Regular inflictions by whatever this is would quickly limit the number and size of fronds. Anyone have any similar experiences or know of any recent pest/disease alerts? Thanks in advance. 

(Mediocre cellphone pics; don't know if I can get better soon. Renting a bucket might be easier, more conclusive for close-ups...)

0508171000a.jpg

0508170958.jpg

0508170959.jpg

0508171000.jpg

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Royal Palm Bug?  Just a guess.

• Upvote 1

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

1 hour ago, Keith in SoJax said:

Royal Palm Bug?  Just a guess.

Indeed! Thanks much!

http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/orn/palms/royal_palm_bug.htm

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Pretty typical in the hot dry weather before the rainy season.  The rain usually washes them away unless there is a severe infestation or a paltry rainy season.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Yeh, I'm sure these had always been present, just seems to be a bad enough year that I finally noticed...Otherwise, I'd have looked this pest up years ago... ;)

_____