IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Veitchia ID? North Miami Beach library (164th@16th)

fastfeat

I generally don't sweat Veitchia ID too much when inventorying municipal trees (most get called V. arecina). But this group of young Veitchia looked very consistent and perhaps different than most I see used locally. All fronds seemed to be held above horizontal, pinnae seemed broader than what I generally call V. arecina.  

Ideas/opinions? I can get better/more pics if needed.

Thanks in advance...

0523171812a.jpg

0523171812b.jpg

• Upvote 2

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

3 hours ago, Eric in Orlando said:

Maybe V. winin?

Thanks Eric. Don Hodel too thought it may be the same.

BTW, whatever happened to The Fairchild Guide to Palms site? How long has it been defunct?

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/5/2017 21:43:54, Eric in Orlando said:

Maybe V. winin?

Interesting, we don't see pics of Veitchia winin so often !

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

No, I say arecina; the yellow orange bands are a dead giveaway--seen a million and two of these. Montgomery palm.

Having said that, most Veitchia in South Florida are hybrids; wouldn't be surprised if these were Montgomery hybrids, also. 

If you have ever seen a pure winin, when they get big (not as big as a arecina can get), they have a neat arrangement of the crown--it grows in five ranks. I don't believe any other Veitchia does this. Joannis is also around, in hybridized form. Pure form of joannis is supposed to have the largest Veitchia seed. Winin seed is smaller than arecina.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Mandrew968 said:

No, I say arecina; the yellow orange bands are a dead giveaway--seen a million and two of these. Montgomery palm.

Having said that, most Veitchia in South Florida are hybrids; wouldn't be surprised if these were Montgomery hybrids, also. 

If you have ever seen a pure winin, when they get big (not as big as a arecina can get), they have a neat arrangement of the crown--it grows in five ranks. I don't believe any other Veitchia does this. Joannis is also around, in hybridized form. Pure form of joannis is supposed to have the largest Veitchia seed. Winin seed is smaller than arecina.

Thanks.

_____

On 6/7/2017, 6:39:19, Mandrew968 said:

I'm curious about my own, then.  I picked up seed half a decade ago from under a massive Veitchia in Ft Lauderdale.  Based on the size of the palms and the architecture of the condo courtyard they were in, these palms could have been easily planted 50+ years ago.  Since I'm still dealing with Juveniles, is there any dead giveaway I should look for to make a firm ID?  

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

7 hours ago, Funkthulhu said:

I'm curious about my own, then.  I picked up seed half a decade ago from under a massive Veitchia in Ft Lauderdale.  Based on the size of the palms and the architecture of the condo courtyard they were in, these palms could have been easily planted 50+ years ago.  Since I'm still dealing with Juveniles, is there any dead giveaway I should look for to make a firm ID?  

No. And probably arecina or a hybrid. Veitchia are fast too so I bet they are not 50 years old.

Huh, looks like V. arecina is the best bet.  I don't know why I never saw it before.

f93AhNp.jpg

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

Petiole looks to be arecina, but my spiralis also had similar markings. My joannis did not have this mottled look though.

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?

2 hours ago, annafl said:

I got this double as seedling Veitchia winins a few years ago.  

DSC_1949.JPG

They look good !

Soon some fruits ? 

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

16 hours ago, doranakandawatta said:

They look good !

Soon some fruits ? 

This is its first time flowering, so I'll see soon!  Love these little palms in our garden.

• Upvote 1