IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

I need one advice

Monòver

I was reading long time ago that with "big" Dypsis is better plant them in  ground when small. They have better grow and more speed.

I think this was the experience of MattyB with his Dypsis.

Well, i have lots of small "big" Dypsis. They are jewels for, near impossible to find in Spain. I have Carlsmithi, Nauseosa, ovobontsira, decipiens, etc.

What can i do? I plant it in the ground now or i repot it and wait one or two years more?

This is one example to see the size, one ampasindavae and one sp. Ambanja.

IMG_20170523_191933.thumb.jpg.fef3bcad27

• Upvote 1

I think that conventional wisdom is probably correct. The problem is that most are very susceptible to sunburn when this young so they will either need canopy or some shade cloth in the ground. I have a couple rare big Dypsis that I will be putting this through this year. They are so slow in pots.

• Upvote 3

My D. carlsmith took off like a rocket once in the ground, and had room to grow. I agree, the sooner in the ground from a reasonable size the better. But, like Matt

says, watch for sunburn. 

aloha

• Upvote 2

I concur with Matt

Don;t know about Colin;s experience.

Alas

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I seem to recall some general discussion from Matty B on the topic.  If I remember correctly he argued that palms planted out from 5 gallon pots seemed to do best.  

Planting smaller and they weren't ready and died in greater numbers and larger they got stunted, root bound and grew slower than their 5 gallon compatriots. 

Not sure if that was a general discussion or limited to Dypsis. 

• Upvote 1

Depends on the species in my opinion. I do not have much heat, so for me, a small palm will often languish.. so some more opportunity to house or greenhouse grow is a good thing.

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Thanks for your advices!

I think my palms are a little bit young and i am a chicken.

I will repot them and wait one year more.

This is not the same, but two years ago i planted one small Archontophoenix myolensis in the ground and other one in pot. After two years, the palm in the ground is 4 times larger.

But Archontos are fast growers and easy to find. I don'y like "play" with my rare Dypsis.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Monòver said:

Thanks for your advices!

I think my palms are a little bit young and i am a chicken.

I will repot them and wait one year more.

This is not the same, but two years ago i planted one small Archontophoenix myolensis in the ground and other one in pot. After two years, the palm in the ground is 4 times larger.

But Archontos are fast growers and easy to find. I don'y like "play" with my rare Dypsis.

To much concern may be equally harmful as indifference. An in situ shade cloth seems to me the best way...

Edited by Phoenikakias
  • Upvote 1

In the jungle, I plant much smaller ones in the ground, but it rains a lot and the soil is good too. 

• Upvote 2

Cindy Adair

15 hours ago, Cindy Adair said:

In the jungle, I plant much smaller ones in the ground, but it rains a lot and the soil is good too. 

I have good soil and here not rains, but the water is not a problem.

The problem is my cool winters, may be too long for a very small Dypsis.

Or not, last year i planted a small prestoniana and after the worst Winter in a long time, it is perfect, no brown spots, no rot, perfect.

IMG_20170525_174642.thumb.jpg.64be392a13

Edited by Monòver

16 hours ago, Monòver said:

I have good soil and here not rains, but the water is not a problem.

The problem is my cool winters, may be too long for a very small Dypsis.

Or not, last year i planted a small prestoniana and after the worst Winter in a long time, it is perfect, no brown spots, no rot, perfect.

IMG_20170525_174642.thumb.jpg.64be392a13

I have also many small Dypsis seedlings still in pots...What's the minimum temperature you are having in winter ?

This last Winter was 1'6 °C, but the maximum the same day was only 5°. With snow and 20 hours after a big storm with lots of hail.

Other Winters was between 2-4°C

• Upvote 3

It varies by sp for sure but I would be wary about planting a new purchase straight into the ground.  Best let it acclimatize for a season and then wait until root bound.  Sometimes I plant in the pot which I feel reduces root shock for some sp but can be a source of setback for others....    Planting among other plants as temporary cover can also have good results as it reduces extremes of light, temperature, and humidity but you have to be mindful of root competition and moisture levels.   Good to take  advice from others but you need to learn your own microclimates and soil variations when growing in marginal conditions.  Very small things can be the difference between success and failure....

• Upvote 2

Thanks Richnorm!

I am agree, of course, the best is my own experience. My climate, soil, water is different, but for a spanish grower one mistake can be a disaster.

We don't have sources to buy rare palms. We must buy seeds and wait a very long time or buy small seedlings in other countries with high prices.

If i plant one rare palm and i don't have luck, i can't buy other palm. I must buy seeds and wait may be 3-4 four years to have other opportunity.

17 minutes ago, Monòver said:

Thanks Richnorm!

I am agree, of course, the best is my own experience. My climate, soil, water is different, but for a spanish grower one mistake can be a disaster.

We don't have sources to buy rare palms. We must buy seeds and wait a very long time or buy small seedlings in other countries with high prices.

If i plant one rare palm and i don't have luck, i can't buy other palm. I must buy seeds and wait may be 3-4 four years to have other opportunity.

Believe me I know about the difficulties of building a collection.  We no longer have any local growers and cannot import plants. Seed importation is highly controlled and limited to those sp that were proved to be growing here in 1997! But palms still give me a lot of pleasure and the fascination doesn't seem to diminish despite all the obstacles and the passage of time.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Monòver said:

This last Winter was 1'6 °C, but the maximum the same day was only 5°. With snow and 20 hours after a big storm with lots of hail.

Very funny, my absolute minimun this year had been 2 Celsius degrees lower than yours but the maximum on same day almost one degree higher...

I can only  tell a little personal experience. Ravenea glauca is the cold hardiest of the genus but for various reasons it can not grow easily in mediterranean climates like mine and in Italy. I have tried twice with this sp. First time I planted an older juvenile with several pinnate fronds. It sulked and died during winter. Second time I was given a seedling on the third leaf, which was planted on the same spot as the older one. Only this time I used an in situ protection in the form of a vertical tube with an openingon top (opening was created by by wrapping flexible plastic sheet around a reversed plastic bottle net.  This method worked perfectly! The seedling did continue growing inside the protection at first slowly but steadily and later at a faster rate, and when it was set free after three years it did not get stressed.

Edited by Phoenikakias
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, richnorm said:

Believe me I know about the difficulties of building a collection.  We no longer have any local growers and cannot import plants. Seed importation is highly controlled and limited to those sp that were proved to be growing here in 1997! But palms still give me a lot of pleasure and the fascination doesn't seem to diminish despite all the obstacles and the passage of time.

Why 1997?  That seems so arbitrary.

10 minutes ago, Hammer said:

Why 1997?  That seems so arbitrary.

That was the date new rules came in. Effectively they banned any new species.  Not that we have a problem with palms becoming weeds but try explaining that to eco bureaucrats!

We might have near low temp here but no one has remembered snow hear and the lowest max temp in winter not lower than 12c ...also as soon as we have rain temp would not ever be lower than 7c...still I'm very fearful about my seedlings in winter ... :( 

11 minutes ago, richnorm said:

That was the date new rules came in. Effectively they banned any new species.  Not that we have a problem with palms becoming weeds but try explaining that to eco bureaucrats!

I can guess what major concer and equally major political attitude hides behind this practice, but to record all cultivated spp in the whole subcontinent (NZ is regarded as a subcontinent or not?), that sounds to me quite totalitarian.

34 minutes ago, Phoenikakias said:

I can only  tell a little personal experience. Ravenea glauca is the cold hardiest of the genus but for various reasons it can not grow easily in mediterranean climates like mine and in Italy. I have tried twice with this sp. First time I planted an older juvenile with several pinnate fronds. It sulked and died during winter. Second time I was given a seedling on the third leaf, which was planted on the same spot as the older one. Only this time I used an in situ protection in the form of a vertical tube with an openingon top (opening was created by by wrapping flexible plastic sheet around a reversed plastic bottle net.  This method worked perfectly! The seedling did continue growing inside the protection at first slowly but steadily and later at a faster rate, and when it was set free after three years it did not get stressed.

Konstantinos, I had the same failure with R.Glauca, I suspect mine failed as the result of full sun...

and how about R.Hildebrandtii? Have you tried them ?

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

Very funny, my absolute minimun this year had been 2 Celsius degrees lower than yours but the maximum on same day almost one degree higher...

8 hours ago, Mohsen said:

We might have near low temp here but no one has remembered snow hear and the lowest max temp in winter not lower than 12c ...also as soon as we have rain temp would not ever be lower than 7c...still I'm very fearful about my seedlings in winter ... :( 

This was a crazy week. Min temp 1'6° is not a record, but max 5°, yes , it was lowest max recorded. Common winters we have a medium max between 16-20° and the lowest max never is below 12°C.

The snow was other crazy record, first time snowing in 90 years!!!!

This is the beach, near my house

IMG-20170118-WA0020.thumb.jpg.1c2a52d8c2

But the worst arrived after the snow and the cold. The 24 hours after the snow we had a big storm with lots of hail and 60 liters per square meter. This day the max temp was 12° after the storm, but during the storm the temps was 6-8°C.

I think we had 36 hours below 8°C, snow, hail and very cold rain

But after this, small palms like Carpoxilon macrospermum, Pinanga coronata or Dypsis cabadae  totally unprotected are alive and recovering.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, richnorm said:

Yeesh.  

On 5/23/2017, 10:50:11, Monòver said:

I was reading long time ago that with "big" Dypsis is better plant them in  ground when small. They have better grow and more speed.

I think this was the experience of MattyB with his Dypsis.

Well, i have lots of small "big" Dypsis. They are jewels for, near impossible to find in Spain. I have Carlsmithi, Nauseosa, ovobontsira, decipiens, etc.

What can i do? I plant it in the ground now or i repot it and wait one or two years more?

This is one example to see the size, one ampasindavae and one sp. Ambanja.

IMG_20170523_191933.thumb.jpg.fef3bcad27

I think, given where you are, up north (yes it's true) bigger is better, I concur with Bill BSMAN.

si si

So give your babies bigger pots and more time, and plant out in 2020? maybe?

Ole!

• Upvote 1

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

2 hours ago, Monòver said:

This was a crazy week. Min temp 1'6° is not a record, but max 5°, yes , it was lowest max recorded. Common winters we have a medium max between 16-20° and the lowest max never is below 12°C.

But the worst arrived after the snow and the cold. The 24 hours after the snow we had a big storm with lots of hail and 60 liters per square meter. This day the max temp was 12° after the storm, but during the storm the temps was 6-8°C.

But after this, small palms like Carpoxilon macrospermum, Pinanga coronata or Dypsis cabadae  totally unprotected are alive and recovering.

OUCH

but

survival

mucha buena

keep us advised

(dear god snow in Spain, this late? )

• Upvote 1

It was a terrible weather , hopefully won't repeat for another 90 years and glad your seedlings went through it alive :) 

• Upvote 1