IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hydriastele ramsayi (Gronophyllum ramsayi)in habitat

steve99

Here's something you don't see too often : Gronophyllum Ramsayi.     I've never seen this palm for sale in nurseries in Australia, despite it being a native palm.   I suppose its distribution and unique growing conditions might have a lot to do with that.  Growing only in the Northern Territory at around 12' S where winter temps average 31C (88f) and virtually no rainfall between May & Nov and summer temps averaging 34C (93F) with monsoonal rain.

These palms were growing in a remote part of Western Arnhemland only a few clicks from Annesley Point.   It's a part of Australia that very few Aussies get to see, so took a few pics while I had the opportunity.

06fa4ba1.jpg

a941c570.jpg

19217d24.jpg

8cb13070.jpg

5e2a2339.jpg

c8dc5490.jpg

cd147327.jpg

b71b70ff.jpg

2a85b779.jpg

Edited by steve99
  • Upvote 14

Nice photos Steve...one of my favourite palms!

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Love this palm! I don't feel too bad, now that you don't even see them in Australia. Been wanting one of these, and probably will for a long time--seed is almost 100% guaranteed to not germinate.

Thanks for the photos, what a nice palm. Hydriastele is one nice genus.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

I agree that these are really good pictures. And of a very nice looking palm species (and these are in habitat!). I didn't have any pics of this species in my photo files - now I do. Thanks.

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Were you heading up to the national park or to Annersley Point itself?

48 minutes ago, tropicbreeze said:

Were you heading up to the national park or to Annersley Point itself?

We had a week long stay at an old outstation a short distance from Annersley Point, once in Oct 2010 and again in Sept 2014.    I've been into Garig Gunak Barlu National Park but not as far as the resort.   Back in Aug & Oct 2000 I stayed at another outstation West of Murganella. 

8c77ff43.jpg

I have a mate in the Darwin suburb of Wulagi who successfully dug up a seedling during monsoonal floods at the Wildman River and was able to grow the transplanted palm in his back yard.  It is the only one I know of in cultivation up our way.

Great photos. Thanks for posting.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

awesome pic's

love habitat photos. they are the best :)

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

On 24/05/2017, 6:01:39, steve99 said:

We had a week long stay at an old outstation a short distance from Annersley Point, once in Oct 2010 and again in Sept 2014.    I've been into Garig Gunak Barlu National Park but not as far as the resort.   Back in Aug & Oct 2000 I stayed at another outstation West of Murganella.

The Wauchope's are at Annersley Point, nice area. Don't know the one west of Murganella, unless you mean Mt Borradaile, that's a pretty special area. H. ramsayi are very common and numerous throughout Arnhem Land and the West Arnhem region, but they don't make their way into Darwin, not naturally. There's quite a few growing there now though in private gardens and the Litchfield Council offices have quite a few growing there. But you never see them in nurseries.

On 5/24/2017, 7:39:06, greysrigging said:

I have a mate in the Darwin suburb of Wulagi who successfully dug up a seedling during monsoonal floods at the Wildman River and was able to grow the transplanted palm in his back yard.  It is the only one I know of in cultivation up our way.

Helen Cobb has a couple of tall fruiting ones out the front of her place in Nakara. She also occasionally sells seedlings that come off them, if you are interested. Always good to go and see what she has for sale.

hc.thumb.JPG.16f7b8f2f1c1c28c3e5333ec982

Daryl

• Upvote 5

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Awesome palm, thats amazing they can tolerate the dry periods.

I wish we could grow it here. Seems to be very cold sensitive. I have had young specimens twice in pots and they died when it got below 40F.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

On 2017-6-5 14:41:59, tropicbreeze said:

Don't know the one west of Murganella, unless you mean Mt Borradaile, that's a pretty special area.

West of Murganella and a little North of Borradaile @  Waidaboonar, Gunbalanya.      You're right, it's a special area.  

n5l9tx.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 10 months later...

Awesome shots! What a cool area. 

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25