IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palmfriend`s "excitement" update

palmfriend

Hello everyone,

when plumerias are starting to push new leaves excessively...

028x.thumb.jpg.6e57935499dae603671573ae2

and my beloved hibiscus are blooming so nicely even during our current rain season...

029x.thumb.jpg.010bcc8981636c8f13c04e106

030x.thumb.jpg.bdf9fbebe16701fb8b5de615a

...spring/early summer has arrived and so II thought, why not doing an update about my still little palms in my young garden.

But I have to warn you, compared to gardens like Mr.Hamann`s (currently well documented by Pando), Dave`s, gbarce`s, Josh-O`s, Kim`s, scottgt, Jim`s in Los A,

(to name very few) and many many others great palmtalkers, my one is still at a very early stage - so, please don`t be dissappointed about its simplicity.

As mentioned earlier, almost all of my plants are grown from seeds I have to buy via the internet, so they are still very young. But it is

probably interesting to see, what can be grown here in southern Okinawa (or what is looking promising).

All right, "enough of talking", please enjoy "the show".

Here, outside the wall, but still on my property...

001x.thumb.jpg.ac6259787a375ba3e4a47701e

...my two Washingtonias, now four years old.

As some of you might remember, I started my very first "excitment" thread with this one...

007x.thumb.jpg.c6e99628512613662e105e2bd

..my now one year old Pigafetta elata (there was no serious damage during our winter, just some browning at thetips of the leaflets),...

008x.thumb.jpg.e7584cffdbaa9787c3a6fa890

..arming is still going on.

Some pictures of my other exotic ones...

005x.thumb.jpg.b7fd7a296b6af0a9d1782e93d

..and...

006x.thumb.jpg.d274c507a71dba0b805a4ed89

..two of my Clinostigma samoense (three years old),...

011x.thumb.jpg.443f1bb2949504714d0de46e9

...a Clinostigma harlandii (same age) - I have got a few C. ponapense too, but they are still very small - ...

Here, a...

012x.thumb.jpg.68841ee579a9023eadb64f97d

steadily growing Bentinckia nicobarica,...

013x.thumb.jpg.6e11abb1c52672aea706ea953

..one of my currently two planted Beccariophoenix alfredii,...

016x.thumb.jpg.bd11e14054054dfa62d4a754a

...a breathtakingly beautiful shaped Archontophoenix alexandrae (at least in my opinion),...

017x.thumb.jpg.579f119ff3c24e3daca3fd667

...a constantly new leaf pushing Elaeis guineensis (three years old),...

025x.thumb.jpg.47a02304323070955e42c3d37

...a Dypsis pembana (the newest leaf is now almost 5 feet long),...

026x.thumb.jpg.cbf7f235070844a91f7f0396d

...my very first planting in our garden (my beautiful C. nucifera, bought in 2009, when my wife and I moved down here)...and...

015x.thumb.jpg.6289bfcfd1b90da92a84c9a15

...some newborns are on the way...

018x.thumb.jpg.bc1697b9860394062a2dd8d63

...in the left foreground, a group of Howea forsteriana (bought at the local nursery four years ago), in the left background an emerging C.nucifera (the

coconut was washed ashore), and finally...

002x.thumb.jpg.83919cbe8b16c1c409ea30b3b

...a spot was cleared for my newest sprout...

003x.thumb.jpg.f9d1e42c1026a70f9fee66a6e

a Copernicia fallaensis... ;)

Still too young to be presented are - currently inside the house - seedlings of Dypsis leptocheilos, D. lastelliana, Cyrtostachys renda, Obi nymph palm,

Pritchardia pacifica, Coccothrinax borhidiana, Lytocarium weddellianum, Ceroxylon quindiuense and two or three other species.

Just one more "thing":

Yesterday I went to a flower shop out of pure curiosity - it is not really a place I am checking regularly because they are more focussed on flower

arrangements - and I found this one and I couldn`t resist...

051x.thumb.jpg.35da1e0018791241fa1138732

...an almost 7 feet tall Saribus rotundifolius. The owner said, they had the plant for decades in a half sunny/half shady spot and no one seemed to notice -

I got it for less than 90 dollars and planted it straight out... (The problem is, they have one more left with the same size...and I got hooked ;) )

Ok, that should it be for the moment - it is very likely that I have forgotten one or two plants or named another one wrong (my apologies in advance) - however,

I hope you enjoyed the short trip through my yard,

best regards

Lars

• Upvote 9

Lovely collection Lars! Congrats on the Copernicia fallaensis too! 

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

Very nice garden! In a few years it will be very crowed when that gems get bigger.

Are you shure that in the last photo a Saribus rotundifolia is shown? for me it does not look like Saribus.

• Upvote 2

I agree. I believe the plant in the last pic to be Carludovica palmata, which is not actually a palm, but an aroid.

It is a lovely plant, but from my experience, it is extremely cold-intolerant and winds will destroy it.

• Upvote 2

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

Hello there,

On 2017/5/24 0:14:53, Cindy Adair said:

Lovely collection Lars! Congrats on the Copernicia fallaensis too! 

Cindy,

Thank you very much for your kind comment! I really liked the Copernicia in gbarce`s beautiful garden, it became "a must have" for me. ;)

I hope it will do well over here.

On 2017/5/24 0:39:58, Monòver said:

I have enjoyed a lot!!!

Nice garden:greenthumb:

Antonio,

Thank you very much! I will keep you updated - I think the garden just started to take off.

On 2017/5/24 1:12:41, masatepino said:

Very nice garden! In a few years it will be very crowed when that gems get bigger.

Are you shure that in the last photo a Saribus rotundifolia is shown? for me it does not look like Saribus.

On 2017/5/24 5:07:27, Missi said:

I agree. I believe the plant in the last pic to be Carludovica palmata, which is not actually a palm, but an aroid.

It is a lovely plant, but from my experience, it is extremely cold-intolerant and winds will destroy it.

Masatepino,

Thank you very much, too! I really hope to create some kind of canopy to provide some shade (for us) and for new plants to come.

& Missi,

Thank you both for the ID - it seems that you are correct, after some research it really looks like Carludovici palmata. I hope I can

provide enough protection during our typhoons! It is a nice plant, I am glad I found it over here.

Thank`s again!

Ok, finally, some plants I forgot the last time -

here we go:

052x.thumb.jpg.db1a127ed65dbedf7386ace77

My finally off taking Dictosperma album var. (aureum - but I am not sure) - a beautiful plant!

053x.thumb.jpg.f9348fc0dddb90b7855bbf485

One of my Livistonia chinensis - by the way a locally very common but nice palm - and a really tough one!

055x.thumb.jpg.7b9227a6f4ba055babc141448

One of my first plantings when I was still not aware of palmtalk, rps, seedman etc., a Manila palm.

054x.thumb.jpg.8aaf6a9f8ac1441f48611f3f1

One of my still young Phoenix sylvestris - I hope they will get along with our climate.

058x.thumb.jpg.fb3b58aa3b37b494050ae2a39

...and finally one of my already beautiful looking Phoenix rupicola.

Ok, thank you very much again for your time,

best regards

Lars

• Upvote 3

Very nice collection.....it seems as though your climate is generous towards the tropical and temperate ends of the spectrum.....

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, palmfriend said:

& Missi,

Thank you both for the ID - it seems that you are correct, after some research it really looks like Carludovici palmata. I hope I can

provide enough protection during our typhoons! It is a nice plant, I am glad I found it over here.

Thank`s again!

It is an awesome plant! I looked for one for years, and finally acquired two! :wub: Enjoy! I look forward to future C. palmata updates! ;)

• Upvote 1

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

Hello there,

I think I will post a final add-up to this thread and then I think I got it all covered - at least for the moment ;) 

One palm I have found at our home depot - probably sold for the first time over here ever - but not that uncommon

in the palm world...

001x.thumb.jpg.76cde66485d5a06bca42c12d7

...is this Caryota mitis. It is said that it will need wind protection because of its shallow root system - we will see

how it will "perform" during our regular typhoons. I really hope, I can keep this one.

Another one I grew from seeds and which is really rocketing over here...

008x.thumb.jpg.081b9602ad1c9341cea1e9ecb

..is Veitchia joannis,...

004x.thumb.jpg.2bd94fd66117d191b7ece7b71

...which developed an almost 4 feet trunk within a year (the plant itself is three years old).

Same place, different angle,,,

002x.thumb.jpg.1cb44aa2f49d63f9c4dd0d48e

...on the left two Veitchias and in the right center the probably most common palm on this

island - an Areca lutescens. You might say, it is like weed over here, but I think - if well planted and taken care of,

it is a beauty! And that explains why I still could not resist when I found this one...

005x.thumb.jpg.f2caf7e390928635eb3ca2f84

...already 7 feet tall and that for 18 dollars, so why not...I think I will let it grow with no more than three trunks which looks in

my eyes the best when it is surrounded by other plants. (But that is my very personal opinion.)

On 2017/5/25 19:51:03, greysrigging said:

Very nice collection.....it seems as though your climate is generous towards the tropical and temperate ends of the spectrum.....

Doug,

Thank you very much! Yes, it seems that this place might have some real "potential" to try palms from other warmer regions -

I am really looking forward to see my current plants growing up. The "real cracker" would be these ones...

006x.thumb.jpg.7b4098e21dd4cdfe19ad965c8

007x.thumb.jpg.b89d18c58b97e5306463da7cc

...my very young group of Cyrtostachys renda, if I can establish them successfully in my garden. I think I have to give them

a little bit more time before planting them out but moving them outside this year - at least two or three of them - should be in range.

But the overall question here is - will my palms withstand or not our typhoons. Until a certain level (of their growth) I can provide support and

protection but the moment will come that I will have to stand back and hope for the best - however I will keep this forum updated.

On 2017/5/25 21:34:25, Missi said:

It is an awesome plant! I looked for one for years, and finally acquired two! :wub: Enjoy! I look forward to future C. palmata updates! ;)

Missi,

I assure herewith, updates will follow! I hope I can present a flowering plant someday here on PALMtalk - even if it is not a real palm ;).

So, that should it be for the moment about my garden and its plants,

thanks again for following,

best regards

Lars