IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

planted my Syagrus schizophylla in ground

Mohsen

Hi last week I planted my Syagrus schizophylla ( got it from Ben @Kennybenjamin )...

I believe it wont be get very big ? it will be under full sun and I assume it will be fine? any other requerement I need to consider?

also please let us see you Syagrus schizophylla .

BTW, it has still undivided leaves, when it will have the divided one?

Thank

Mohsen

IMG_0091.JPG

IMG_0090.JPG

• Upvote 6

Nice Mohsen.

They are nice palms. Not one I am growing though.Did you see the mature one in Wollongong Botanic gardens?

• Upvote 1

Finally, something I can contribute to the forum on!

These are one of my absolute favorite palms! I'm pretty familiar with them and easily have 40 or more planted throughout the property in all stages of life, from 12" tall seedlings to 13' mature trees (7' of trunk). You're not far from your leaf change, as I have noticed they start to change around knee high once they get a trunk going. I've attached a pic to give you an idea of size when they start to split.

They respond very well to water and fertilizer but do very well without any care at all. I've found the widespread rumor of slow growth to be a myth as they do put on over a foot of growth a year easily here in SE Florida. Full sun, partial shade, drought, flood, they don't care. They stay green and keep on growing. Great palms!

Good luck with yours!

IMG_9648 copy.jpg

IMG_9649 copy.jpg

• Upvote 6

I have a schizzie, too, setting seed. It's about 8 feet (2.6 M) tall, a bit crowded by other stuff.

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Syagrus schizophylla are very slow. I planted mine (was a little bigger than yours), and didn't have a gray (grey) hair on my head. Now, I'm nearly all gray. My S. schiz.  started seeding about six years ago, then skipped a few years, then started seeding again last year. Don't know why that is. My coconut palm did the same thing, but now it seeds regularly.

IMG_1739_zpsknwzbdl1.jpg

IMG_1740_zpsorejkpuv.jpg

• Upvote 6

Mad about palms

3 hours ago, Walt said:

Syagrus schizophylla are very slow. I planted mine (was a little bigger than yours), and didn't have a gray (grey) hair on my head. Now, I'm nearly all gray. My S. schiz.  started seeding about six years ago, then skipped a few years, then started seeding again last year. Don't know why that is. My coconut palm did the same thing, but now it seeds regularly.

IMG_1739_zpsknwzbdl1.jpg

IMG_1740_zpsorejkpuv.jpg

Walt, that's interesting. I wonder if the slower growth has to do with the zone, you're a good bit north and inland from me as I'm pretty much on the coast. I'm overrun with fruit all year long as well on most of my adult trees, anything taller than say about 4' overall. We are well below the frost line, so maybe they are happier in warmer climes?

Cooler weather could be a factor.  Mine in Jacksonville grew real fast until it reached maturity and kept getting freeze damage.  Then it slowed significantly.  Here in Winter Haven it's the dry weather is causing it to slow down, I suppose.  But I'd rather they stay small because I think they look better.  Mine has set fruit, but I don't have any volunteers yet.  In Jacksonville, the seed sprouted and grew into seedlings.  I gave them away to friends because I really like them and wanted to share the experience.  They were a significant climate push up there, and here too, really.

Mohsen, it's planted way too close to that structure.  It should have at last a meter of clearance, preferably 2 meters.  Mine is about  2 meters from the south face of the house (our warm side) and it's not touching the wall.  At 1 meter, it will touch.  I can't snap a pic in the dark though, so I will try to remember tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

These palms do give gray hairs, no two ways about that.

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Here's a few more shots of these beauties from around the yard.

Pic 1: End of October, 2014.

Pic 2: Same area today, just over 2.5 years later. Try to focus on the growth of S. Schizophylla and not on my losing battle with the lawn in this spot :-). These get heavy mid-day sun, shade in AM and PM here.

Pic 3: Look closely and you'll see no less than 7 bunches of fruit on this tree which is the tree to the left in the above photos. This is my favorite "look" to this species; heavy with fruit, trunks left "dirty" and interesting, with ferns making themselves home in the voids. 

Pic 4: Smaller tree, about 6' overall, just as happy as the others and showing it. The trees in this spot get full sun until late PM and seem to compare equally with those in shady spots or even the ones in complete, full sun locations.

Lastly, I'd suggest heeding Keith's advice on spacing as noted above. He speaks the truth. I picked up on that but being a low man on the totem pole around here didn't want to say anything. I think both you and the specimen would be happier if you moved it a bit out. Sooner than later as these palms tend to root deep, and quickly. 

BRICK WALK 10-27-14 copy.jpg

2017 5-23 East Brick Walk copy.jpg

2017 5-23 fruit 6 copy.jpg

2017 5-23 fruit 2 copy.jpg

Edited by PalmWarbler
  • Upvote 5

The fruit smells so good!

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

Here's mine.  

Sschizophylla - 1.png

Sschizophylla - 1 (1).png

• Upvote 2

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

20 hours ago, PalmWarbler said:

Walt, that's interesting. I wonder if the slower growth has to do with the zone, you're a good bit north and inland from me as I'm pretty much on the coast. I'm overrun with fruit all year long as well on most of my adult trees, anything taller than say about 4' overall. We are well below the frost line, so maybe they are happier in warmer climes?

No doubt S. schizophylla like a warmer climate than my 9b climate. Also, my soil is very dry (low water table). I know lots of water is paramount to getting palms to grow fast. I have palms I grew from seed and sold to folks that have automatic irrigation, and their palms blew past mine in height and trunk diameter.

Mad about palms

Gorgeous, Palmwarbler!  Now I feel I need at least one of those.  I've never seen one around Sarasota, but our Syagrus coronata does fine.  Anyone in my area?  I'm borderline 9b/10a and very near the intracoastal.

On 24/05/2017, 2:07:00, Kai said:

I love this one! I have a nice 2014 seedling which will start dividing its leaves soon I think. Anybody here willing to donate some schizo pollen? It will be for a good cause!

Thanks Kai

any picture of yours?

On Thu May 25 01:51:57, Mohsen said:

Thanks Kai

any picture of yours?

tmp_10107-20170529_2054581686128260.thum

As you can see the plant has had a hard time after I repotted it from regular "soggy" organic soil into Pal Meir's famous seramis mix. Luckily it is now throwing out healthy leaves again. And quite fast too.

My large sized sandal for scale (I didn't want to bore you guys with my foot).

• Upvote 2

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

Here is mine, already seeding,

20170529_135510.jpg

• Upvote 4

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

16 hours ago, Kai said:

tmp_10107-20170529_2054581686128260.thum

As you can see the plant has had a hard time after I repotted it from regular "soggy" organic soil into Pal Meir's famous seramis mix. Luckily it is now throwing out healthy leaves again. And quite fast too.

My large sized sandal for scale (I didn't want to bore you guys with my foot).

Kai, get that beauty in a larger pot! These things have prodigious root systems.

On 22/05/2017, 10:06:44, Palms4Steve said:

Nice Mohsen.

They are nice palms. Not one I am growing though.Did you see the mature one in Wollongong Botanic gardens?

Steve, I think your meant this beauty :) 

I wonder if Colin planted this there or not ?

IMG_0460.JPG

IMG_0462.JPG

IMG_0463.JPG

• Upvote 1

Hi Mohsen. Yes that's the one. It's a beauty. It's one of Colin's planting. It was transplanted from Queensland. It has done very well due to transplant and climate change.

Steve

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Palms4Steve said:

Hi Mohsen. Yes that's the one. It's a beauty. It's one of Colin's planting. It was transplanted from Queensland. It has done very well due to transplant and climate change.

Steve

That's fantastic...I forgot to ask Colin but are all palms there ( mature ones) been transplanted ? Even the tall green Bizzys and Majestic palms?

9 hours ago, Mohsen said:

That's fantastic...I forgot to ask Colin but are all palms there ( mature ones) been transplanted ? Even the tall green Bizzys and Majestic palms?

Yes all the large ones in that area were transplanted from Queensland, even the big Bizzys. Some of the palms in the more established gardens were already there. I think the majestic was there already.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Palms4Steve said:

Yes all the large ones in that area were transplanted from Queensland, even the big Bizzys. Some of the palms in the more established gardens were already there. I think the majestic was there already.

Remarkable work...the Majestic palm should have been there for long time ...that's the biggest tallest Majestic palm I've ever seen...

IMG_0538.JPG

IMG_0539.JPG

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

how are the fruits on this palm? are they edible? sweet?

thinking of planting a few of these in full sun in my yard here in Arizona. I hope they like the hot dry weather. If the care is similar to queen palms, then I think they would do fine here? lots of queen palms planted here in AZ, although not all look that good.

Edited by raimeiken