IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ficus lutea

I grew the below Ficus lutea from seed Josh76 sent me a couple of years ago. I pot grew it up to the size you see in the first photo, when I planted it last month (April 2017).

In the second and third photos below you can see how big the new leaves (since planting) are growing. The largest leaf is more than 12" in length. The pruners I'm using for scale are 8-1/2" long.

I've planted other species of ficus and also other species of plants, and when they are first planted the new leaves actually get larger than normal, then after a while the even newer leaves start to return to their normal size. I just wonder why that is. Must be a change of environment and water and mineral availability. 

In any event, I really like the looks of the leaves on this Ficus lutea. This was the only seed that germinated or survived from the F. lutea Josh76 sent me. He sent me about 5-6 species of ficus. I think all African varieties. as a result I now have at least 15 species of ficus in the ground. My county is in a severe drought, more than any other county in the state of Florida. I've been hand watering many of my small ficus trees while waiting for the rainy season to start. According to the weather forecast the prospects for rain are now increasing daily. Lots of water and heat should really start to make these trees grow.

Ficus%20lutea%201_zpsup5lak0o.jpg

Ficus%20lutea%202_zpsvgmjoeur.jpg

Ficus%20lutea%203_zpsbuxoywmz.jpg

• Upvote 6

Mad about palms

:greenthumb: Nice specimn Walt. Came across a few of these at a nearby nursery awhile back and almost bought one.. Even though they were seedlings, leaves stood out among other stuff on the same table. All seemed to be handling our brand of heat, even if under shade cloth at the nursery.  Might have to pick one up next time I stop in. 

16 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

:greenthumb: Nice specimn Walt. Came across a few of these at a nearby nursery awhile back and almost bought one.. Even though they were seedlings, leaves stood out among other stuff on the same table. All seemed to be handling our brand of heat, even if under shade cloth at the nursery.  Might have to pick one up next time I stop in. 

I'm looking forward as to how this tree is going to grow this latter spring and summer. For the longest time in the pot it just grew so very slow, then it started to speed up. At the end of fall I will take an update photo and post it in this thread.

Mad about palms

20 hours ago, Walt said:

I'm looking forward as to how this tree is going to grow this latter spring and summer. For the longest time in the pot it just grew so very slow, then it started to speed up. At the end of fall I will take an update photo and post it in this thread.

Sounds about right.. I'd agree that the larger F. lutea i saw for sale yesterday were smaller sized ( albeit still nice specimens) compared to other ficus sp. the nursery had in equal sized pots ( 7gal/ 15s) Will also note how the small one I picked up does between now and the Fall, especially since our growing conditions are quite different.