IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

87F in TJ. Summer in spring.

GottmitAlex

We hit 87F today. Scorching hot. Thank God. The coconuts are happy. This past week it's been nothing but cloudy and cool upper 60's weather. 

This is the big break the nucifera's needed.  

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Summer in spring here in NYC too. Made it up to 95F today. Most of my palms have seen the same amount of growth these past few days that they've seen during April and the first half of May combined.

Some of my tropicals were caught off guard though, the leaves on my Bird of Paradise have closed, and my Ti Plant's newest leaf is partially scorched. Some of my Echeverias have burn marks as well.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

We hit 87F today. Scorching hot. Thank God. The coconuts are happy. This past week it's been nothing but cloudy and cool upper 60's weather. 

I guess we were not the only ones experiencing weird weather over the last couple weeks.. from 108 to the low 70s in less than 2 days, with an "actual"  monsoon like rain and lightning event, to nearly perfect.. " San Diego-ish" 80 ish days and 50s- refreshing low 60s at night..  was nice while it lasted.. 

95 forecasted tomorrow, 100 forecasted on Sunday.. possibly 105.. maybe warmer, by mid week.. Nothing below the mid 90s forecasted beyond that.. Hopefully the frequent wind events as of late will settle down now as the weather pattern shifts toward typical early summer heat. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

I guess we were not the only ones experiencing weird weather over the last couple weeks.. from 108 to the low 70s in less than 2 days, with an "actual"  monsoon like rain and lightning event, to nearly perfect.. " San Diego-ish" 80 ish days and 50s- refreshing low 60s at night..  was nice while it lasted.. 

95 forecasted tomorrow, 100 forecasted on Sunday.. possibly 105.. maybe warmer, by mid week.. Nothing below the mid 90s forecasted beyond that.. Hopefully the frequent wind events as of late will settle down now as the weather pattern shifts toward typical early summer heat. 

I know, it's crazy.

It's not even noon here and it's warmer than it was @ yesterday's high. 

In the garden the temperature is at 40c.

In the shade, 31c

20170520_11385911.jpg

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Up here we had no spring it went from winter to summer, passed spring and temps are now in the upper 80’s this holiday weekend. Things are growing like crazy and bloom galore! 

• Upvote 2

On 5/19/2017, 7:04:35, GottmitAlex said:

Summer is coming! Get ready for months in the high 90s! 

PalmTreeDude

Dew point of 78-80 this week feels more like summer even though we aren't triple digits yet.

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2017‎ ‎10‎:‎41‎:‎44‎, Palm crazy said:

Up here we had no spring it went from winter to summer, passed spring and temps are now in the upper 80’s this holiday weekend. Things are growing like crazy and bloom galore! 

Same here of course, although a cool down is forecast for this week. It's too late for some of my palms though. Lost a, Butia, two P canariensis, fried but no spear pull on S, palmetto :crying: ... all due to the longer, cooler, wetter miserable winter.

Cheers, Barrie. 

Edited by Las Palmas Norte

4 hours ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

Same here of course, although a cool down is forecast for this week. It's too late for some of my palms though. Lost a, Butia, two P canariensis, fried but no spear pull on S, palmetto :crying: ... all due to the longer, cooler, wetter miserable winter.

Cheers, Barrie. 

Barrie I lost three palms this spring do to my over zealous early fertilizing with blood meal, fried my BxJ, BxQ and Livinstonia chinensis. I’ve already replaced some with more interesting plants but not going to buy anymore feather palm for my garden again. All of April to early May has been some of the coldest on record but since may15 has been above normal temps. This weekend has been really nice and hot.. June gloom is around the corner but I think it will be better than normal June weather. I also heard from someone that this coming winter should be warmer than normal. The high ridge over us is moving east now and so the temp are in my mid 90’s in eastern part of the state. 

Edited by Palm crazy