IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Help; Identifying a small royal or a small adonidia palm

Palmdude129

So a few months ago I bought five Royal palms in 5 gal containers from a guy on craigslist. They are still small and I am starting to think they are Adonidia palms instead of Royals. I have been told Adonidia palms are also called "mini Royals", but I don't know, I am skeptical. I have been trying to look online for small Royals and can't find any of my size. Any tips, photos or advice on this one? Thanks guys.

need to see a picture first

welcome to PT

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

I've seen that post on Craigslist and they are indeed Adonidia. Royals have thin leaves and grow taller at that age. 

Warrior Palm Princess, Satellite Beach, Florida

You have? I been waiting for its fronds to get thin and tall like a Royal but it ain't happein:(.  I thought I scored on some Royals, I guess not. I will post a photo tomorrow just so you guys can confirm my suspicion. Thanks

No such thing as a "small" royal. In the future, don't let someone get away with using common names for plants. If they don't specify, ask them to give you the Latin name (binomial) for the plant. If they won't, they are suspect. If they can't, they are idiots. In either case, walk away and save your money.

Welcome to PalmTalk. Hope you stay a while.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I appreciate your input but I have to disagree. If you don't know a trees latin name doesn't make you an idiot.  I'll take the adonidias or any other palm trees because I have a palm obession.