IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Rhapis laosensis Seeds

Pal Meir

I give away 5 lots of fresh Rhapis laosensis fruits. I don’t know if the seeds are viable. You should remove the pulp from the seeds before sowing. (I am just testing 3 seeds myself.) Please PM me if you are interested in one of the lots. — Lots #2 to #5 are still available.

591caf7db934c_RhapislaosensisFruits.thum

591caf82d2273_RhapislaosensisFruits2017-

591caf882049f_RhapislaosensisFruits2017-

• Upvote 3

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

Parcel received !! :)

Seeds are extremely small, look alike Washingtonia ones, even a bit smaller :)

Thank you PalMeir.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Reynevan said:

Look what I have here Pal :

IMG_20170628_181555282_HDR.jpg

Congrats! :greenthumb: They seem to be really viable. :) I didn’t treat my seeds specially, I left them only at room temperature in Kokohum®. I think the seeds were still too fresh. Now we can expect many babies from Poland, Italy and Puerto Rico. :wub: If the other 17 fruits have arrived at their destination I don’t know … :indifferent:

Put me on the list for any more you want to send out.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

1 hour ago, Pal Meir said:
21 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Congrats! :greenthumb: They seem to be really viable. :) I didn’t treat my seeds specially, I left them only at room temperature in Kokohum®. I think the seeds were still too fresh. Now we can expect many babies from Poland, Italy and Puerto Rico. :wub: If the other 17 fruits have arrived at their destination I don’t know … :indifferent:

I could send you a seedling or two when they germinate :)

Just now, Reynevan said:

I could send you a seedling or two when they germinate :)

It seems that the tree won’t flower this summer … :( Because I didn’t leave it outdoors during last winter.

Just now, Pal Meir said:

It seems that the tree won’t flower this summer … :( Because I didn’t leave it outdoors during last winter.

Pal do you germinate in pure coco coir ? Unfortunately 3 Rhapis seeds already got mold :( Wish more of them germinate fast.

Oops, the message should go to DD … :wacko:

28 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

@DoomsDave It seems that the tree won’t flower this summer …  Because I didn’t leave it outdoors during last winter.

3 minutes ago, Reynevan said:

Pal do you germinate in pure coco coir ? Unfortunately 3 Rhapis seeds already got mold :( Wish more of them germinate fast.

Yes, I did. But as you said the main problem with Kokohum is mould …:sick:  Maybe if you wash the three seeds with warm water they can still be ok.

Plant anyway

If I had a Euro for each moldy seed I've planted I could buy a Swiss bank. :o

• Upvote 2

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Is Kokohum, what we call coir or coco peat? If yes, I' ve never had mold problems in this medium, therefore I consider it as the most reliable one for gemination.

I've always found regular potting soil to be better; coco peat is too light and dries out too fast.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Phoenikakias said:

Is Kokohum, what we call coir or coco peat? If yes, I' ve never had mold problems in this medium, therefore I consider it as the most reliable one for gemination.

Yes, it is made of coir: http://www.neudorff.de/produkte/kokohum-blumenerde.html

Nice! how did you manage to cure them?

08053.gif

O god, I meant of course: "No other breaking news?" :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Sanips said:

Nice! how did you manage to cure them?

"Manage to cure them"? :huh: I didn’t need cure anything … Because of the slow growth rate I put them back into Kokohum®.

59 minutes ago, Pal Meir said:

O god, I meant of course: "No other breaking news?" :rolleyes:

"Manage to cure them"? :huh: I didn’t need cure anything … Because of the slow growth rate I put them back into Kokohum®.

I read it wrongly:D

08053.gif

On 6/28/2017, 12:40:43, Pal Meir said:

Nothing yet here @Pal Meir

Rio_Grande.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...