Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Translanting considerations for tillering palms

4 posts in this topic

When I looked at my 5 gal Sabal X Brazoriensis I noticed the small heel protruding from the soil. I didn't know too much about heels, but thought it was best to NOT prune it. But I'm not sure as far as transplanting goes... should the heel be left a certain distance above the soil level? I read to keep the top third of the heel above ground from palmpedia, but how do I even determine the top third without removing the soil around the roots? 

I'm new to growing palms and any general tips for transplanting would be greatly appreciated. Like mounding and basins and such.

here's some links I was looking at: http://w3.biosci.utexas.edu/prc/Sabal/saxophone.html

https://dghaskell.com/2015/06/12/palm-tree-saxophones/

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

I always plant the heel even with the palm itself if that makes sense. I have never had a sabal suffer planting them this way, and some of them have been in the ground for years. I hope this helps.

Hi Scot, I think I know what you are saying. In the photo my plant looks like its leaning towards the right with the heel on the left. When I transplant maybe I should even it up a little left towards the heel. It seems like the heel should be planted underground, but I wouldn't want to cause any kind of rot by planting too deep. Also being a relative of s. minor, I don't want this plant to spend too much time growing underground:)

Hi Brian,

It looks like your Sabal is in a container now so it looks like you are planting (rather than transplanting) so you shouldn't have any problem.  I've lost a couple of Sabal minors and and Sabal palmettos that I dug up and moved to a different location - they seem to be pretty sensitive to transplants when young.  Each time I tried my best to get all of the roots, but they slowly declined and eventually died so keep that in mind if you ever decide to move it.  All other species of palms that I have moved seem to take transplanting much better.  Hope your palm does well!  I know how hot and dry those Austin summers can be because I used to live near Bastrop.

Jon

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• Sabal and massive strangler fig
      By Yunder Wækraus
      This is one of the most massive strangler figs I've seen this far north.

• Yet another Sabal mexicana survives a south central Kansas winter!
      By jfrye01@live.com
      Checking around the yard today, I noticed something very surprising on a palm I had given up for dead...this Sabal mexicana was planted as a one gallon strapling last summer, northeast side of the house (I know, worst place to plant palms, but I'm out of room! ).  When winter came, I didn't have the means to protect it, as I had several other larger palms I wanted to keep healthy, so I said goodbye to it and gave it up for dead...and it appeared so as of last week, completely brown, so I planned to dig it out and replace with something else. I'm glad I waited, as today, I noticed this:  

It lives! It may not look like much, but here in Kansas, I'll take what I can get...I love experimenting with different palms, some of them are far hardier than given credit for! 
      Happy spring to those in the Northern Hemisphere, to those in the southern hemisphere, well, I wish you as happy a fall as can be!
      -Jacob
    • Sabal x Brazoriensis
      By Brian F. Austin
      I saw a mature brazoria palm at barton springs for the first time and was amazed at it's incredible mass and huge leaves. They almost remind of green bismarcks or a sabal minor on steroids. I thought sabal mexicanas were cool until I saw this Brazoria. For some reason I assumed this ancient hybrid had a small trunk. Not so.
      Anybody here growing these? I would love to see more photos of them.
      Here's a picture of it... sorry for the quality... it was taken from the car through the fence with the phone. I'll get a close-up next time I'm over there.

• Mystery Cuban Sabal Wild-Collected in 2014
      By PalmatierMeg
      Back in 2014 I took a post-Biennial eco-tour of Cuba. That was before that island supposedly opened to American tourism. During my week on the island I offered asylum to seeds from wild native Cuban palms, esp. for Copernicia spp. In the course of my travel, some of those seeds lost their labels. When I got home I potted up those seeds, including some I labeled "Copernicia sp". Only last year when I repotted some of those seedlings did I realize that some of my so-called Copernicias were Sabals. I don't remember seeing any Sabals during the course of my travels nor did our guides point any out as they concentrated on the really rare stuff. And I didn't examine every single seed I potted or I might have noticed some were actually Sabals. I can only assume that birds may have carried them some distance and they ended up mixed in with the Copernicias. Anyway, I have a total of 7 Sabals from wild-collected Cuban seeds.
      My research tells me Sabals native to Cuba are: domingensis, maritima, palmetto, yapa
      I also know young Sabals can be difficult to tell apart but I hope someone can give me a clue. I don't have room for all 7 and would like to sell them if possible as I'd probably cry if I have to compost them. The more I know the better chance I have of finding them new homes.
      I took photos of one of them today. All are in 3g pots.
      Mystery wild-collected Cuban Sabal

• Sabal identification
      By Cikas
      What species of sabal is this?