IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palms in the Mist

Really full garden

This is our wet season in Guatemala. Here it is called "Winter". In my Highland garden we have had 25 inches of rain just in the last four days and when it is not raining we have fog and mist.

IMG_0720.thumb.jpg.78043cbb134895f1348a5

IMG_0721.thumb.jpg.cee324561e90e1a9204b5

IMG_0722.thumb.jpg.76eaa4fca1a42d884da76

IMG_0723.thumb.jpg.2ea1dcca2cbe6f9f3c20a

IMG_0724.thumb.JPG.12ed1c7fe904233ca6ea0

• Upvote 13

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Lovely place. We have a place in the highlands of El Salvador that has a similar climate with the cool, foggy season around this time of year. Where in Guatemala are you? I visited Coban in 2009 and liked the place very much!

• Upvote 1

I am on the road between Escuintla and Antigua. It is a beautiful area with three volcanoes .

• Upvote 1

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Hard to imagine 25 inches of rain in only four days! :o  It's been raining heavily in Leilani, Hawaii the last several days, but my guess is we've got maybe 6 or 7 inches in the last four days.  Your "winter" is beautiful!

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

29 minutes ago, scottgt said:

I am on the road between Escuintla and Antigua. It is a beautiful area with three volcanoes .

i did enjoy Antigua very much. Beautiful area. 

Beautiful! Please send some rain to Florida :D

• Upvote 2

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

Rain to Florida!

But not to La Habra . . . .

GREAT garden, better than Gorillas in the mist . . . . (or guerillas!)

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Beautiful photos Scott. As Kim mentioned, this last week in East Hawaii has been quite wet, but welcomed. We rarely get fog and mist at lower elevations and look forward to the sunshine in between the showers.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

3 hours ago, scottgt said:

I climbed San Pedro in 2 hours. It was not very fun, going down...

3 hours ago, Kim said:

Hard to imagine 25 inches of rain in only four days! :o  It's been raining heavily in Leilani, Hawaii the last several days, but my guess is we've got maybe 6 or 7 inches in the last four days.  Your "winter" is beautiful!

Yes, hard to believe, but totally possible--here in Miami, we once had almost 6 inches in just one hour. That's a record, but in other parts of the world, I am sure it can happen.

2 hours ago, Mandrew968 said:

Yes, hard to believe, but totally possible--here in Miami, we once had almost 6 inches in just one hour. That's a record, but in other parts of the world, I am sure it can happen.

Yes, that has happened here in East Hawaii, too, though I've not personally witnessed it.  Compared to what I'm used to in dry Southern California, the rain in Hawaii seems very extreme.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

6 hours ago, Kim said:

Kim, after weeks of this it gets quite depressing. I am happy that in 90 minutes I can be at the beach and enjoy the sun and my garden there.

My Highland garden is on the Pacific slope where the cooler /dryer air from the central plateau collides with the hot/humid air from the Pacific plains which results in incredible storms. It can rain here when there is not a cloud anywhere else in Guatemala.

We had snow (at higher altitudes) just a few weeks ago. The volcanoes were snow capped for several days.

6 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Rain to Florida!

But not to La Habra . . . .

GREAT garden, better than Gorillas in the mist . . . . (or guerillas!)

Dave , I do have guerillas ( or exguerillas) in the mist. My garden was actually a military outpost on the frontline during the civil war. I have found uniform fragments.

1 hour ago, scottgt said:

Dave , I do have guerillas ( or exguerillas) in the mist. My garden was actually a military outpost on the frontline during the civil war. I have found uniform fragments.

Hope no people fragments . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Wow those pictures are cool. I personally like walking the garden after or during a light rain or mist. Thanks for sharing!

Palm Beach Palm and Cycad Society Member (IPS Affiliate)

North Palm Beach

Yes, greetings and many thanks from here as well - great photos!!

Best regards

palmfriend

Always stunning to see your gardens.  So are the mosquito's insane in the rainy season? 

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

5 hours ago, redant said:

Always stunning to see your gardens.  So are the mosquito's insane in the rainy season? 

Not really, we get such incredible downpours that I think all the larvae get washed away.  We have not had a single day without at least four inches.

Two years ago I got Chikungunya and Dengue at the same time.I felt like I was going to die.

7 hours ago, scottgt said:

Not really, we get such incredible downpours that I think all the larvae get washed away.  We have not had a single day without at least four inches.

Two years ago I got Chikungunya and Dengue at the same time.I felt like I was going to die.

Sorry to hear that, I am glad you're ok now.
How have you been sick?

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

17 hours ago, scottgt said:

Ouch yeah that's 2 really bad ones at once. Hope you fully recovered.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

14 hours ago, doranakandawatta said:

Sorry to hear that, I am glad you're ok now.
How have you been sick?

5 hours ago, redant said:

Ouch yeah that's 2 really bad ones at once. Hope you fully recovered.

I am fine now. Chikungunya leaves arthritis like symptoms that can last years. I have not regained all my dexterity in my hands yet. The best treatment/therapy has been working in my gardens,planning new gardens and germinating seeds.My green thumb is just a little rusty now.

• Upvote 2

On May 23, 2017 at 3:40:27 PM, scottgt said:

The best treatment/therapy has been working in my gardens,planning new gardens and germinating seeds.

So glad you are getting better! Both of those nasty diseases at the same time!

I think what you wrote above is a very wise statement concerning life in general! Works for me anyway.

Cindy Adair

On 5/23/2017, 6:25:57, scottgt said:

I have had a similar mosquito born virus called Ross River Fever here in northern Australia. Dengue is rare here and is confined to far north Queensland around Cairns. Ross River has Dengue like symptoms and knocked me around for 2 years. Even 20 years later I still get re occuring symptoms for a couple of days once or twice a year.

2 hours ago, greysrigging said:

I have had a similar mosquito born virus called Ross River Fever here in northern Australia. Dengue is rare here and is confined to far north Queensland around Cairns. Ross River has Dengue like symptoms and knocked me around for 2 years. Even 20 years later I still get re occuring symptoms for a couple of days once or twice a year.

Living in a tropical paradise comes with certain risks. Hurricanes,cyclones, venomous snakes, and tropical diseases also thrive in tropical climates.

This is so beautiful amazing photos. I am in love with central and south american junglescapes. I joke to my friends my parents property is a jungle but it is nothing compared to this

Omg so sorry to hear of ur illness. I am on the edge of the tropics hear and know exactly what you mean. 

Edited by Chatta

Looking for:  crytostachys hybrids, Pseudophoenix sargentii Leucothrinax morrisii, livingstona canarensis

On 5/17/2017, 7:49:48, scottgt said:

Gorgeous.  Your garden looks incredible.  I have been to Antigua.  Very very cool old town.