IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Rhopalostylis Oceana

el-blanco

This palm is quite happy as of late. About 15 years old from a 5 gallon.  Does not like the heat.

i think this was a Palm from Tom Simpson when he had his nursery.

IMG_7043.JPG

IMG_7044.JPG

• Like 4
  • Upvote 14

Dana Point Tropicals - C-27 License #906810

(949) 542-0999

Looks gorgeous but I would have expected a bit more size after 15 years. Aren't oceana relatively fast growing?

Looks like an awesome baueri variant. But apparently an even more awesome sapida variant.

Gorgeous, whatever it is.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 5/15/2017, 10:59:52, Matt in OC said:

Looks gorgeous but I would have expected a bit more size after 15 years. Aren't oceana relatively fast growing?

Matt,  I agree it should be MUCH BIGGER. I had quite a few issues with it when young, but never gave up on it.  Im hoping it will take towards the sky now that it is happy again.

• Upvote 1

Dana Point Tropicals - C-27 License #906810

(949) 542-0999

18 minutes ago, el-blanco said:

Matt,  I agree it should be MUCH BIGGER. I had quite a few issues with it when young, but never gave up on it.  Im hoping it will take towards the sky now that it is happy again.

I think everyone expects it to act like a baueri, which it isn't, which is a lot faster growing.

Let me know when it seeds . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Very nice looking palm

By Rhopalostylis Oceana do you mean from Chatham Islands

I ask as i have two in my garden that i grew from seed from Robert De Jong " pogo bob"

I could be wrong but it looks a lot like Rhopalostylis baueri cheesemani to me because it has arching fronds , and a crownshaft that is not huge and swollen like chatham islands sapida.  Oceana has silver petioles.

cheers Troy

18579151_10154868780033089_425760258_n.j18601251_10154868780013089_1535054102_n.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

I losthink a Cheesemanii a year ago.  Great thread to remid me to climb back on the Rhopalostylis horse.  Fantastic palms everyone! 

• Upvote 2

Has anyone tried germinating these palms, do the seeds need heat or no?being where there from..

I germinate 1000s of them and do so by leaving seed in 2plasticbags from time I pick off bunch till germinated.I don't use heat and don't clean them either

SANY7116.JPG

• Upvote 4

Thank you Gary, 

I collected some on a recent trip to NZ so I had to clean them to get through customs. 

How long do they take to germinate? 

I went to samoa mid march for a surf trip and collected adonidia merrillii seeds there,  then on route back to Sydney stayed at friends house near Piha collected seeds from his yard. Super red and fresh 

Arrived back 1st April

Ok so a year, a bit to go.....

So no need for heat. .

Does heat reduce germination for these?

I don't think they are Chatham type, 

I don't know too much about them. 

The common ones around Piha. 

• 4 months later...
On 16/05/2017, 04:00:44, el-blanco said:

This palm is quite happy as of late. About 15 years old from a 5 gallon.  Does not like the heat.

i think this was a Palm from Tom Simpson when he had his nursery.

IMG_7043.JPG

IMG_7044.JPG

Doesn't anyone else think this looks like a Hedyscepe canterburyana? I certainly do! It's a close relative of Rhopalostylis, but to me, this is Hedyscepe.

Edited by David York
grammar

UK zone 8b/9a. No heavy frosts. Occasional -6c. Dull wet winters. Cool summers.

Heres my Oceana in my Fallbrook garden.  Getting big and still not trunking yet.  This is 7 years from a 5 gallon, with my daughter for scale.  

IMG_9874.thumb.JPG.68d5859b3b969cd782413

• Upvote 3

• 2 years later...

Kermadec Is Nikau (left) Chathams Is Nikau, (right)  Have 6 of each all same size. Thinking long term here but will enjoy in pots for a few more years :)

20200506_102708.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Here  are R. baueri v. cheesmanii and R. sapida v. Chatham/Pitt island. Most sapida have pinkish/maroon buds., R. baueri & sapida Chatham/Pitt have ivory/cream buds,  refer to the third photo which is R. sapida v. Chatham/Pitt island.  

R. baueri (Medium).JPG

R. sapida 'Chatham Is.' #2 (Medium).JPG

nikau flowers, Chatham Island (Medium).jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 5

San Francisco, California

I went through some old images, here are two normal R. sapida spadices,    :winkie:  

Rhopalostylis sapida.jpg

nikaus 015.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

San Francisco, California

These R. sapida var. Chathams are at Larnach Castle in Dunedin NZ. Have been in the ground around 18years. Are about 200m above sealevel on the Otago Peninsula on a north facing slope. [Edit - closer to 300masl)

20200206_141027.jpg

Edited by Phil Petersen
Adjust height above sea level
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 4

Those would of copped some snow over the years 

Edited by palmad Merc
Spell check

21 hours ago, Phil Petersen said:

These R. sapida var. Chathams are at Larnach Castle in Dunedin NZ. Have been in the ground around 18years. Are about 200m above sealevel on the Otago Peninsula on a north facing slope. [Edit - closer to 300masl)

20200206_141027.jpg

I remember these palms when they were featured on a special NZ episode of Better Homes and Gardens and they would have been 60cm to 1m tall. They mentioned them saying they were a tough palm that have also had snow on them at times with no damage. After that I needed to get some. It probably was about 18 years ago approx.

• Like 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

• 1 year later...
On 9/20/2017 at 11:09 PM, David York said:

Doesn't anyone else think this looks like a Hedyscepe canterburyana? I certainly do! It's a close relative of Rhopalostylis, but to me, this is Hedyscepe.

Yes, thats exactly what I thought. Fronds look recurved like H canterburyana.