IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal and massive strangler fig

Yunder Wækraus

This is one of the most massive strangler figs I've seen this far north.

IMG_2595.JPG

IMG_2597.JPG

IMG_2598.JPG

• Upvote 8

6 minutes ago, Yunder Wækraus said:

This is one of the most massive strangler figs I've seen this far north.

IMG_2595.JPG

IMG_2597.JPG

IMG_2598.JPG

Never knew they grew that far north.  All over down here.  The Sabal is doomed.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Cape Garrett said:

Never knew they grew that far north.  All over down here.  The Sabal is doomed.

I have come to believe these two trees are in a symbiotic relationship: the Sabal provides a nursery for the fig and, later, a structure around which the tree can grow; the fig attracts guano-making fruit eaters and, most importantly, the aerial roots of the fig eventually make the Sabal nearly hurricane proof. I have seen strangler figs on Sabals of great age, and I am not at all convinced that a strangler fig is guaranteed to kill a Sabal sooner than it would have otherwise died.

Here is an example of Howea forsteriana,  enveloped by Ficus macrophylla f. columnaris, Troy Donovan for scale. (Tassie_Troy1971)

IMG_3060.JPG

IMG_3061.JPG

• Upvote 4

San Francisco, California

That's a nice Ficus aurea. You can see decent sized ones all the way up into New Smyrna Beach in Volusia County. There is a huge one at the Polynesian Resort at Disney back in the luau area. Its encircles a Sabal palmetto and has been there since Disney opened in 1971.

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

6 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

Here is an example of Howea forsteriana,  enveloped by Ficus macrophylla f. columnaris, Troy Donovan for scale. (Tassie_Troy1971)

IMG_3060.JPG

IMG_3061.JPG

Wonderful!

Sabals are perfectly content to have their trunks encased inside a strangler fig and will not be "strangled".  BUT, strangler figs are fast and Sabals are slow.  What happens is that the sabals are out-competed for light and nutrients.  This particular sabal might have a chance being offset like it is, the sabal roots might do OK.

• Upvote 1

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Ficus aurea tends to be whacked back by freezes.  They show up regularly.  A small one up in one of my Sabals was blown down by one of the 2004 hurricanes, and I just removed another young one from a bromeliad pot . . . 

• Upvote 1

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us