IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal palmetto spear pull

Tom123

Hello, I just received a 5gal sabal palmetto.  It has pulled the spear, I treated w copper fungicide.  Is sabal palmetto able to recover from spear pull at a young age, or any age?? I'm in 7b 8a . I got it when I bought the brazoria as he was going to throw out the palmetto. Thanks 

3 hours ago, Tom123 said:

Hello, I just received a 5gal sabal palmetto.  It has pulled the spear, I treated w copper fungicide.  Is sabal palmetto able to recover from spear pull at a young age, or any age?? I'm in 7b 8a . I got it when I bought the brazoria as he was going to throw out the palmetto. Thanks 

From my experience, especially a palm at that size, there is a better than average chance it will recover. I would try pouring hydrogen peroxide down the hole instead. A picture would help, too. How do the rest of the fronds look on the palm? Are they sill green and healthy? Most of the time, the hardest part about spear pull is waiting.I'd give it a few more months till I would think about disposing of the palm. 

I had a 3g Sabal birmingham spear pull immediately after arriving a couple years ago,  I suppose it was unhealthy when shipped or it was allowed to freeze solid somewhere in transit...I placed the pot on a heating pad in the house, not expecting survival.  I was surprised to see a nice healthy amount of green pushing up a few weeks later.  Wishing you luck! I'd bet it'll make it.  

El_Dorado.gif