IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm disaster

Palm crazy

Some sad news on my feather palms. Two months ago I started fertilizing four of my feather palms with blood meal. They show no sign of anything wrong, until this month when the weather finally got warm they started dying. (March & April well below average.) One of them the whole center died out, that was my only BxJ. All the rest have either solid center with total leaf gone on trunk and the others have center partly dying with good looking older leaves. I’m not sure what to think about this… my problem was fertilizing to early and then we never really got warm till early May. I’m not going to fertilize any other feather palms till early June. I think I’ve learn my lesson, LOL! 

• Upvote 1

What a pity. Maybe If you share some pics about the problem other members could tell you if it's caused by fertilization or not.

08053.gif

Man I'm sorry to hear this. I never knew there was such a thing as fertilizing too early. I know one of the posters on here in Louisiana fertilizes through late fall and winter to get the plant to "power" through the cold months.

Thanks guys will take some pics this evening. We never had one day above 68F in April compared to last year 88F it was very cool during the day and the low this winter was only 21F and no days below 32F. My other feather palms (six of them) that receive no fertilizer Don’t have any damage at all. Will have to see this summer if the damaged one recover or not. 

Edited by Palm crazy

Here are picture of the damage feather palms some are worst than others. :o

Butia catarinensis  Only adult leaves totally damage all ready removed.

DSC00005.JPG

Edited by Palm crazy

BxJ  total spear pull and some adult ones in the center pulled out also. 

DSC00003.JPG

Edited by Palm crazy

Here is the last one with two photos… Butia blue leaf lower branches burnt to crisp. Thats all the damage ones… will post the rest later that have no damage. 

DSC00014.JPG

DSC00016.JPG

Edited by Palm crazy

Perhaps more to do with the March/April cold and wet? I use copper fungicide pretty regularly in my Northern Virginia winters...our winter, by the way, was great for the palms in my back yard...hope they pull through.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GregVirginia7 said:

Perhaps more to do with the March/April cold and wet? I use copper fungicide pretty regularly in my Northern Virginia winters...our winter, by the way, was great for the palms in my back yard...hope they pull through.

That is exactly right! To cold this March/April.  

• Upvote 1

Here are my other feather palms that did mostly good to excellent without early Fertilizing. 

My biggest JxB F2 and smallest one. 

DSC00001.JPG

DSC00020.JPG

Two butia in some shade but growing taller. Check out the second ones new spear coming out super tall. 

DSC00015.JPG

DSC00016.JPG

Edited by Palm crazy

Last Butia is my green trunk one. Thanks for Looking! 

DSC00026.JPG

Edited by Palm crazy

24 minutes ago, Jungle Jas. said:

Very interesting, how did you apply the blood meal.:greenthumb:

I sprinkled it around the base and root system. I really think it was the cooler than normal weather and blood meal that damaged the palms. We had a lot of 57F-62F and rain pretty much for all of April just never really warmed up. 

I made a post a while back about fertilizer and cold hardiness....

The blood-meal is basically all Nitrogen which would

cause week spindly growth which is also much

less hardy than and unfertilized plant that can

harden off with slower growth.....

I noticed after summer before last that all my

palms were much more cold tolerant going into a winter

where they were not fertilized during the summer,the one caveat

is that compost(if you want to compare to fertilizer) will not cause this.

Thanks Jim that is a good point, in colder area like mine fertilizing after july is not a good idea. To much tender growth in the fall only means it’s going to get zap during winter. The new growth never has a chance to harden off and that make it really tender going into winter. I’ve had the same thing happen on cycad with late fall growth.