IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

May Rain = pain in So-Cal?

DoomsDave

As you might know out here, we had a bit of rain just this weekend.

Hooray! Well, no. (Roof is being fixed.) This is not a rare occurrence, but it seems like it.

I had about half an inch, enough to put off watering the Container Ranch of Doom for a couple of days.

How about the rest of you?

IMG_2434.thumb.JPG.1dc02ec2a2b8db99f3c8dIMG_2435.thumb.JPG.8c47441fcf89a9641ab5b

• Upvote 3

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I was hoping to get more. Only got a tenth of an inch. Everyone else around me got way more.

Up here in NorCal we got nothing. In fact it was 79f yesterday, 85f today.

Edit: Whoops just saw So-Cal lol....Nevermind.

Edited by NorCalKing
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, NorCalKing said:

Up here in NorCal we got nothing. In fact it was 79f yesterday, 85f today.

Edit: Whoops just saw So-Cal lol....Nevermind.

You guys are usually the ones to get it while we don't!

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

No complaints here in Northern San Diego county.  I got an inch at least with two solid soakings. My gorrilla planting palms across the street are happy (City of Oceanside property).  I only drag the hose over there about once a month.  There are a couple random Phoenix,  Parajubea sunka and torallii, a Livingstonia rotundifolia and another Livingstonia, a Brahea and Sabal rosei (far right) from Oaxaca (8 years old from seed).

IMG_9824.jpg

• Upvote 4

MM

Got a good inch, maybe more at my house. The temperature feels like February. Off topic a bit Mark, but you've been able to get Livistona rotundifolia to grow here? I always assumed it was a no-go. 

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

38 minutes ago, quaman58 said:

Got a good inch, maybe more at my house. The temperature feels like February. Off topic a bit Mark, but you've been able to get Livistona rotundifolia to grow here? I always assumed it was a no-go. 

Same here in TJ.  About 35mm of rain reported by the local paper.

Although the temps during the rain fell to 10c in the garden, I did not protect the coconuts this time. Must admit I was a tad bit nervous last night. Went to check on them this morning: they're alive and kicking.

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

19 hours ago, quaman58 said:

Funny that you ask,  The Livistona rotundifolia only holds two leaves at best and about two years ago the spike pulled out and went that way for over a year!  Then surprising enough it has pushed three leaves since.  If it was on my property I'd have removed it but I just let it go but I did not water it for over a year and it is a hot, South facing area.

MM

16 hours ago, Fallbrook Jason said:

2.1" here in Fallbrook!  Very nice for this time of year. 

Jason has the rain, the heat and the cold air drainage for the growth we covet down here on the coast!  

• Upvote 1

MM

1.65 at the Vista nursery

.65 at my Carlsbad house

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

It seemed like it rained a fair amount at times and I heard the news say Oceanside got 2.6" at the airport less than a mile north of me. I did see a radar with some heavy cells circulating my area. The few open containers around here that hold water would support I got at least 2". Greatly appreciated.

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!