IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pot not draining enough

Andrew19

Hello, have 2 hurricane palm seeds in 4" pots, 1/2 & 1/2 potting mix and perlite in a terrarium under 2 60w LEDs. Last time I watered them was probably 3 days ago and they still seem very wet. I can't put them outside yet because it is a bit too chilly. Any ideas? Should I move to a mix with some sand and peet and hope they drain faster? Bigger pot? How often should I be watering? Thanks in advance. 

I would avoid mixes with sand and peat, unless you can get a hold of very coarse builders sand. From experience in colder climates plants will rot quickly in these components as they will rapidly get heavy and bogged down. If you don't want to water everyday, use something like 1/3 pumice, 1/3 coco coir, 1/3 perlite. Better is a mix with bark, clay pellets (small ones you can buy at your local reptile shop), and clay based substrate like seramis. Have a look at Pal Meir's posts on soil mixes. I keep all my ultra tropical palms in the clay based mixes with good results.

Tis better to wait out the dryness rather than a schedule. Particularly on seedlings. You may go weeks between watering.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Thanks. They've been pretty wet since Wednesday, should I change to a bigger pot to allow more room to drain? I'm thinking that them sitting wet for days isn't too good. 

6 hours ago, palmad Merc said:

Can you take a photo of it?

I am away for work until Wed. but I will. I had my wife take them out of the tank and put in the window sill for some indirect light. Hoping this dries them out and will probably transfer to a bigger pot with some sand when I get home.

• 10 months later...

Wow everyone is talking about clay additives now.  I will have to go check out the the local reptile shop and get some. I did not know they carried it. I have been using driveway cleaner.

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?

57 minutes ago, The Germinator said:

Wow everyone is talking about clay additives now.  I will have to go check out the the local reptile shop and get some. I did not know they carried it. I have been using driveway cleaner.

Look in your local garden supply or landscape shop for Turface MVP. I get the 50 lb. bag for $17...

Edited by Laaz