IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

North Texas Nannorrhops

Ben OK

I mentioned (in another thread about Sabal mexicana) some mature nannorrhops I saw several years ago in Paris TX, when I was driving through. Rather than post more about them in a thread about Sabal mexicana, I thought I would give them a thread. Here they were the week between Christmas and New Year, 2012: 

DSCN7407_zps697f3c8c.jpg.8b578e077fabaecDSCN7406_zps697a99e0.jpg.f908ce8ed4c1576DSCN7409_zps2d103406.jpg.ba0dd737518baec

The quality isn't great because I didn't have a great phone camera back then.

Anyone else have experience and/or pics of nannorrhops in zone 8 or colder they would like to share?

Edited by Ben OK
Typo
  • Upvote 4

I have a Kashmir version of this at my house in 8a. It has been a consistently strong palm for me. It would lose its spear when tiny, but quickly recover. Just a strong palm. 

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

12 hours ago, buffy said:

I have a Kashmir version of this at my house in 8a. It has been a consistently strong palm for me. It would lose its spear when tiny, but quickly recover. Just a strong palm. 

That's good to know. I know some people who tried nannorrhops in Oklahoma back when they were pretty new to the trade. They all reported that they were less hardy than advertised. It may just be that they get quite a bit hardier with size. In my experience trachycarpus, washingtonias, and needle palms are all pretty susceptible to spear pull when young. They all seem to get a lot tougher with age/size.

They must have had N. Arabica then.  They are a 9B palm when small at best.

• Upvote 1

Nobody is gonna believe me, but I'll share anyways.  This is one growing against a building in downtown Wichita. No protection other than the building.  I took this picture at the end of March, I'm almost certain with the amount of heat we've had lately, it's really taken off.  I'll try to stop by tomorrow and grab a current picture of it.  

Image may contain: plant, outdoor and nature

• Upvote 3

El_Dorado.gif