IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Advanced Archontophoenix editing

DoomsDave

Sometimes in Palmy Love, mistakes are made.

One I'm prone to is planting too many of something, then running short of space. Or falling more deeply in lust with something else.

This A. tuckeri needed removal. But, one last gaze . . .

(It's the Palm on the right.)

IMG_2382.thumb.JPG.e6fb0bafc12555c115e96

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Tools consist of a rope and a pole saw.

This palm was about 30 feet (10 m) tall.

IMG_2384.thumb.JPG.5a15d4454e419a24708b5IMG_2387.thumb.JPG.191b4eb683a2b08028f68

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

The rope was noosed around a leaf petiole in the lower part of the crown.

Buzz buzz with the saw

Yank yank tug tug pull pull 

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Upvote 2

The deed is done 

IMG_2389.thumb.JPG.414e90c0da095e9e0166a

That crownshaft caught on my internet wire, so had to get it freed.

IMG_2392.thumb.JPG.a85cff3fe3fa0bac4ad46

• Upvote 1

Nota been; that wood is soft but tough.

That 300 pound crownshaft hung by a thread.

IMG_2396.JPG

• Upvote 1

Finally the crown is down.

IMG_2401.thumb.JPG.e8159e0dfc2bb0e27f700

• Upvote 4

trying to this out the jungle a little to let more light in Dave?

• Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

3 hours ago, Josh-O said:

trying to this out the jungle a little to let more light in Dave?

I have New Calendonian canopy now!

OWWWWWWWWW!!!!!

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Awe, bye bye tucker.  I'm sad because I can't grow them.  Does that make any sense?  

• Upvote 1

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

1 hour ago, Keith in SoJax said:

Awe, bye bye tucker.  I'm sad because I can't grow them.  Does that make any sense?  

Yes. I'm sad because I can and did.

But not that sad. There are still many others to carry the torch.

• Upvote 1

Any way you could throw one of those mature tuckeri in the mail Dave? :D

No, but really, I'm having a moment of silence :violin:. OK what's going in it's place?!

2 hours ago, Jdiaz31089 said:

Any way you could throw one of those mature tuckeri in the mail Dave? :D

No, but really, I'm having a moment of silence :violin:. OK what's going in it's place?!

New Caledonians!

• Upvote 1

That crownshaft was BIG and heavy. Better part of 9 feet 3 m long even allowing for the foot 30 cm of trunk 

IMG_2416.thumb.JPG.d8dfb8bee1559a8abd9b7IMG_2417.thumb.JPG.fd61c85fd95bd834d9812

• Upvote 2

If this is the seed you mailed out to us mid 2015, I'm going to need a taller apartment...  A couple of the seedlings that got butch are pushing well over 2 feet tall already.

Sorry to see your beautiful palm had to go; I hope the replacement grows well.

• Upvote 1

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

• 1 year later...
On 5/3/2017, 6:55:20, Funkthulhu said:

If this is the seed you mailed out to us mid 2015, I'm going to need a taller apartment...  A couple of the seedlings that got butch are pushing well over 2 feet tall already.

Sorry to see your beautiful palm had to go; I hope the replacement grows well.

It could be from that plant. There were many.

How tall are the Butch Babies now?

19 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

It could be from that plant. There were many.

How tall are the Butch Babies now?

On the biggest Archy the last frond was 3 feet long.  It's starting to get girthy near the bottom (like, no longer a seedling, bigger than my thumb) and throw more fronds quicker.  Total with pot is over 3 feet tall and almost 3 foot of spread.

I have way to many royals, they don't come down  so easily so unless nature takes some they are here to stay.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

1 hour ago, Funkthulhu said:

On the biggest Archy the last frond was 3 feet long.  It's starting to get girthy near the bottom (like, no longer a seedling, bigger than my thumb) and throw more fronds quicker.  Total with pot is over 3 feet tall and almost 3 foot of spread.

Whoa!

That's faster than me, by a wide margin. Any pictures?

Crap picture from 2 months ago, but here's what I have on my phone at work...

LIIYRT5.jpg

Okay, maybe that last spear was close to 4 feet...  (that's a 7 foot balcony door for scale) 

Edited by Funkthulhu