IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

how often you water your outside palms in pots in Fall and Winter?

Mohsen

Perhaps this has been asked earlier but how often you water your outside palms in pots  in Fall and Winter?

at the moment we are in Fall and nights getting cooler ( last night was 8C) and I am just curious ( if there is no raining)  how often I need to water my palms in pots outside  ? also when the watering should be done, in mid day when its warmer ?

I water only when the top cm of potting mix is dry and when the temp is over 20C. I never water when temp falls below 10-12C. Daytime is better in winter. And water carefully so you don't leave palms sitting in soggy mix. If you expect a string of cloudy, chilly days, keep things on the dry side. Palms won't die of thirst on a cool day.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

4 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

I water only when the top cm of potting mix is dry and when the temp is over 20C. I never water when temp falls below 10-12C. Daytime is better in winter. And water carefully so you don't leave palms sitting in soggy mix. If you expect a string of cloudy, chilly days, keep things on the dry side. Palms won't die of thirst on a cool day.

Thanks Meg

nice advice ,

how about your garden? How often you water them in autumn or winter ?

I try to water my seedlings in the nursery greenhouse (mostly Sabal palmetto, Sabal minor, Sabal louisiana, Sabal mexicana) every three days in January, every day other months.  Even if it's only 50 outside, I can expect 95-100 in the greenhouse, so I like to keep things wet, keeps them growing quickly throughout winter.  My potted B. armata and Cocos nucifera get watered once a week from November to February. 

• Upvote 1

El_Dorado.gif

Pretty much everything I have, including palms gets watered once every 8-12 days from mid November thru about mid January, especially if it is cool, cloudy, or wet. Water is stopped once the Plumeria, Bursera species, other similar type plants start defoliating. Then again, I had several things refuse to go completely dormant, requiring at least light watering this year. Really,  as was the case in Florida, fall and winter are great here since it can stay mild enough to encourage some growth, yet everything doesnt dry out at the drop of a hat. 

On 4/30/2017, 12:55:12, jfrye01@live.com said:

I try to water my seedlings in the nursery greenhouse (mostly Sabal palmetto, Sabal minor, Sabal louisiana, Sabal mexicana) every three days in January, every day other months.  Even if it's only 50 outside, I can expect 95-100 in the greenhouse, so I like to keep things wet, keeps them growing quickly throughout winter.  My potted B. armata and Cocos nucifera get watered once a week from November to February. 

How do you heat your greenhouse?  How low does the temp get in Kansas during the winter?

On 5/5/2017, 7:37:39, MDPalm said:

How do you heat your greenhouse?  How low does the temp get in Kansas during the winter?

Honestly, I just use a little $20 tower heater I bought at Walmart.  Keeps things above freezing even on the coldest nights.  Temperatures in Kansas quite literally go from one extreme to the other, the northwest part of the state sees negative temperatures every year without fail...I'm located in the Wichita area, about 40 miles north of the Oklahoma state line, luckily, we're the mildest area of the state, and the only part that is within zone 7...High single digits, however, are not uncommon, occurring at least every other year.  Negatives are rarer, occurring every five years or so, but they do happen, as they did back in December.  Luckily, in most cases, it's a very brief dip.  Sabal minors, Sabal louisianas, and Rhapidophyllum around town (Wichita) were not damaged in the slightest this winter, except, ironically, a couple of Sabal minor at the botanical garden just north of downtown.  They had some brown spotting on the fronds.   

• Upvote 1

El_Dorado.gif