IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Best ballast-free indoor lighting for winter months?

Andrew19

Hello, I am very new to growing palms. So far I have 4 parlor palms and I am waiting on some princess, kentia, and foxtail seeds. I live in a cooler climate so the plants will be inside Nov-Feb.

I do have a laundry room at home where a ballast already exists and could be re-purposed, but if I were to look at any ballast-free lighting, what would my options be. Ideally, bulbs that I could add to a lamp or a plugin strip would be ideal. Also, what bulb wattage would be sufficient?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Andrew19
additional question

I think nowadays a LED armature would be your best option. Even better is to place your plants in front of a south facing window. Parlor palms don't need much light though. They are perfectly happy growing in living room shade conditions.

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

Thanks Kai. Any watt equivalent I should consider? Can you tell me what you mean by an "armature"?

Take care.

I think an led panel is the way to go. They're so simple and effective. I grow three different types of palms all under led panels. They work great, low electricity consumption and are only 32 watts. Very lightweight and will last longer than pretty much any other bulbs that I can think of. I use the red/blue spectrum and the white only spectrum for my other one. The red and blue panel works excellently, but it's very annoying to look at, I will admit. I've seen a very healthy amount of growth out of every plant under that panel. The white panel looks exactly like daylight and is so bright that it will illuminate an entire room without having to turn on any other lights all day and night. The white light is very easy on the eyes, very comfortable to be around in the same room. I haven't owned the white panel for more than one month, but I'd imagine judging by its light penetrating and radias output, it will be more than sufficient. They're all being grown next to north facing, but very large windows because I'm in an apartment. The shadows casted on the wall are awesome by the fronds. I don't even need the windows there because the leds do the work alone. Just to put it into perspective, I'm growing 8 andonia merrillii seedlings; 3 of them have had two new leaves and new spears in well under 12 months, which is not common and easy at all to achieve without a developed root system. They were shipped with almost no roots from puerto rico last year. Three died quickly, the others have acclimated and have grown nice root systems. One mexican fan palm which has came back to life and grown out two adult fronds and a new spear in 6 months after almost dying from root rot. The fan palm was grown inside a coca cola bottle and shipped from texas. Finally, a 6X6' phoenix roebelenii which is the eye candy of the room. Oh.. and some cacti and other succulents are under one panel too. At this stage I wouldn't even consider using anything else. 

Edited by ExoticPalms
  • Upvote 1

It's just how large your area you need, and how much electricity you want to consume.

I'm trying out one of these for $20 or so (15W). Works great in a small area.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CZUXEJG

I see it's no longer available, but there are tons of similar units there in Amazon, like this one (45W):
https://www.amazon.com/UNIFUN-Growing-Hydroponic-Aquatic-Indoor/dp/B01F53LP46

71ZqxA68gCL._SL1500_.jpg

2 hours ago, Andrew19 said:

Ya that looks good, thanks. The one I posted is only 12w, probably not enough. 

Hello. The 2 models discussed are noth great and work for palm seedling. I have been using both for other plants such as carnivorous plants nepenthès seedlings) and it does à great job. They may not be string enough for larger palms. The upper leaves will get adequate light while lower leaves won't. The palm could emd end up growing "too" skiny. My experience :)

Thanks Remi, I appreciate it. What strength of light should I be looking at for larger potted palms for winter light & heat?

I have read but not see any proof that using the new LED lights also prevent spider mites because they don't like that spectrum of light.

Anyone have any real world experience on this?

On 4/26/2017, 8:32:29, Andrew19 said:

Thanks Remi, I appreciate it. What strength of light should I be looking at for larger potted palms for winter light & heat?

I use just one 32 watt micro 225 led panel on one very large tree. I don't think 12 watts will be enough strength to light a large palm as well depending on how large it really is. I'd say more than a couple feet above the top with more than a 3 foot span using a 12 watt panel is probably pushing how much light is actually going to be able to penetrate the leaves to promote photosynthesis. I think most of the 12 watt panels are focused for smaller plants and to be set up relatively close over the top. I can vouch for 32 watt panels myself because they do work, and for probably the largest palm trees most people will realistically fit inside their home.