IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Eucalyptus in the Southeast U.S.

Matthew92

I didn't read all the posts, but the ones that grow in the humid areas of Virginia are neglecta, pulverentula, and cinerea, that I know of.  July low humidity is about 60 - 63%, and average high temps 87-89 (from statistics).  It takes real talent to be able to kill a neglecta.  If you manage to, then you should be banned from gardening perpetually.

Edited by VA Jeff

God bless America...

and everywhere else too.

• 1 month later...

November update.

E. viminalis

IMG_0727.thumb.JPG.55fa6ce38c8f9eb35e5dd

E. dalrympleana

IMG_0729.thumb.JPG.cc0205b39c53c83ccb35a

C. citriodora and E. gunnii (I have more C. citriodora, but these are the some of the bigger ones). E. gunnii are doing "okay." Not very vigorous growth and the leaves have some kind of fungus.

IMG_0731.thumb.JPG.7fc3e1ff89f799abaf07a

E. viminalis in ground: about 5 and 1/2 feet tall.

IMG_0733.thumb.JPG.76303bd5923b49a2cca2d

• 1 month later...

January update.  Most of the eucalyptus are doing well. Even with cool/cold temps the viminalis and dalrympleana continued to grow vigorously, even with temps at or just below freezing. I've protected the C. citriodora from hard freezing temps in my greenhouse- I accidentally let them see temps below freezing at one point: only some new leaves were damaged and they will be fine.

I have been interested to see how the viminalis planted in the ground reacts to our freezes. We had been getting progressively colder temps as winter came on, culminating to a solid freeze in December with a low of 28 degrees. Temps had been very chilly at times before this and even near freezing, so I sort of thought the tree would take a hint and slow down growth. But no, it just kept on sending out new leaves. The 28 degree freeze burned some of the newest small leaves. But still, after it warmed up a little after this freeze, it kept on shooting out new growth! I wasn't too enthusiastic about this since I knew a harder freeze would come along in short order. Well, by now we've had multiple nights in the 20's with 22 being the max low so far. It was definitely the cold wave that included the 22 degree freeze that significantly damaged it. Around half of the leaves browned and new growth burned. I think if it can survive without having much more damage this winter it should have a good chance to come back. Unfortunately though, it looks like we are going to get another hard freeze with tomorrow night forecast at 21 degrees.

WIN_20180116_132939.thumb.JPG.3d48faca23

WIN_20180116_133154.thumb.JPG.eb356835a3

Here are my other dalrympleana and viminalis. I've protected these from freezes into the mid 20's and below. Even though they have seen temps as low as 28, they keep sending out new growth.

WIN_20180116_133416.thumb.JPG.4d2dccbbd4

^dalrympleana

WIN_20180116_133427.thumb.JPG.282267f3a1

^viminalis on left, dalrmpleana on right

• Upvote 2

Here gunnii and cinerea had some leaf damage at 14F.  Generally they were dormant, I doubt this will kill them but time will tell.

Other various species planted in Aiken are partially or entirely defoliated.  I do not know which species (planted in a public space w/out labels).

• Upvote 1

Any thoughts on a cold hardy Eucalyptus that could be planted near a house? I think E. viminalis is extremely attractive for the southeast, but I wouldn't plant a tree that can get that large anywhere near a house, especially in the Eucalyptus genus that is notorious for breaking in high winds.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, necturus said:

Any thoughts on a cold hardy Eucalyptus that could be planted near a house? I think E. viminalis is extremely attractive for the southeast, but I wouldn't plant a tree that can get that large anywhere near a house, especially in the Eucalyptus genus that is notorious for breaking in high winds.

The only Euc. id even remotely consider planting within 10 ft of a house is Ghost Gum ( Corymbia paupana) It's one of the few that isn't prone to splitting in high winds. Red Flowering gum ( Corymbia ficifolia) might be another "tamer" Euc. sp. also.

Both Corymbia sp. are generally slower growing and don't get as massive as most, at least none of the specimens i have seen around town, or back in CA.

Unfortunately for some reason, both are harder to find. I've really had to dig around to find any Ghost Gum specimens here for sale. Red Flowering Gum is practically impossible to locate outside CA. I also think it despises wet/ humid summer conditions.

C. paupana doesn't flinch in our punishing summer heat. Seems to perk up when Monsoon season gets going as well. Believe this sp. is fairly cold hardy.. at least to 22f. Interesting since it originates in far north Aus. and Papua New Guinea.

Agree whole -heartedly that all the bigger euc. sp. should be placed as far from anything valued they can destroy as possible.. Even hanging out near relict groves of 80-100' tall Blue Gums during your average CA wind storm can be a truely unnerving experience.  I can' imagine the damage hurricanes or really strong thunderstorm events would do.

On the other hand, id say that exploring these same, old plantations, especially where they still exist near the coast around the Santa Cruz/Monterey Bay Area, gives the viewer a glimpse of what exploring a Eucalyptus forest in Australia might be like ..minus the Koala Bears and Kangaroo. There's such a spot I used to regularly explore in my old neighborhood back in San Jose.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2018‎ ‎6‎:‎29‎:‎17‎, necturus said:

Check out Eucalyptus neglecta. Very hardy and stays small tree size.

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2018‎ ‎8‎:‎10‎:‎02‎, Silas_Sancona said:

The only Euc. id even remotely consider planting within 10 ft of a house is Ghost Gum ( Corymbia paupana) It's one of the few that isn't prone to splitting in high winds. Red Flowering gum ( Corymbia ficifolia) might be another "tamer" Euc. sp. also.

Both Corymbia sp. are generally slower growing and don't get as massive as most, at least none of the specimens i have seen around town, or back in CA.

Unfortunately for some reason, both are harder to find. I've really had to dig around to find any Ghost Gum specimens here for sale. Red Flowering Gum is practically impossible to locate outside CA. I also think it despises wet/ humid summer conditions.

C. paupana doesn't flinch in our punishing summer heat. Seems to perk up when Monsoon season gets going as well. Believe this sp. is fairly cold hardy.. at least to 22f. Interesting since it originates in far north Aus. and Papua New Guinea.

Agree whole -heartedly that all the bigger euc. sp. should be placed as far from anything valued they can destroy as possible.. Even hanging out near relict groves of 80-100' tall Blue Gums during your average CA wind storm can be a truely unnerving experience.  I can' imagine the damage hurricanes or really strong thunderstorm events would do.

On the other hand, id say that exploring these same, old plantations, especially where they still exist near the coast around the Santa Cruz/Monterey Bay Area, gives the viewer a glimpse of what exploring a Eucalyptus forest in Australia might be like ..minus the Koala Bears and Kangaroo. There's such a spot I used to regularly explore in my old neighborhood back in San Jose.

Corymbias are so beautiful- I love the pure white bark. From what I've seen though, it doesn't seem like most would survive zone 8b without being killed back a lot. If I had space and money, I would try as many Eucalyptus and Corymbia species as I could to see how they do in this climate.

I would love to see a tall Eucalyptus in my town. It would really stand out from the scrub pine, oak and other somewhat mundane landscape trees in my area.

1 hour ago, Opal92 said:

Corymbias are so beautiful- I love the pure white bark. From what I've seen though, it doesn't seem like most would survive zone 8b without being killed back a lot. If I had space and money, I would try as many Eucalyptus and Corymbia species as I could to see how they do in this climate.

I would love to see a tall Eucalyptus in my town. It would really stand out from the scrub pine, oak and other somewhat mundane landscape trees in my area.

Yeah, lol, I hear ya regarding having the space to test everything on my lists. As far as C. Paupana is concerned.. give it a try, if you can access seed ( I might be able to, off some specimens i have regular access to going into spring)

While I'd be a fool to tell you, or anyone else, it would be totally immune to cold damage, there are at least acouple descriptions off sites here in AZ (who have supposedly tested it) and have cold tolerance pegged at roughly 16f.. possibly suspect, but notable regardless. I know from notations I'd made a few years ago that trees Id looked over seemed unfazed after a cold spell here where lows dropped into the lower 20s.. and possible high teens in some spots. Again, some thoughts to ponder perhaps. Beautiful tree regardless..

-Nathan

Temps at my farm in north-central Florida hit 23 F this week, Eucalyptus amplifolia mostly unscathed, although one out of about 80 (they were all seed grown) showed some leaf burn from the very heavy frost.

6 hours ago, Botanicus said:

Temps at my farm in north-central Florida hit 23 F this week, Eucalyptus amplifolia mostly unscathed, although one out of about 80 (they were all seed grown) showed some leaf burn from the very heavy frost.

Eucalyptus amplifolia is high on my list to try. There are some in the Gainesville area I've heard about that do very well.

There are a few mature E. amplifolia on the UF Campus, I haven't looked at them since the cold weather, but they have been there about 5 years now, and have stood up to hurricanes and everything else.

• Upvote 1

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2018‎ ‎11‎:‎26‎:‎30‎, Silas_Sancona said:

Yeah, lol, I hear ya regarding having the space to test everything on my lists. As far as C. Paupana is concerned.. give it a try, if you can access seed ( I might be able to, off some specimens i have regular access to going into spring)

While I'd be a fool to tell you, or anyone else, it would be totally immune to cold damage, there are at least acouple descriptions off sites here in AZ (who have supposedly tested it) and have cold tolerance pegged at roughly 16f.. possibly suspect, but notable regardless. I know from notations I'd made a few years ago that trees Id looked over seemed unfazed after a cold spell here where lows dropped into the lower 20s.. and possible high teens in some spots. Again, some thoughts to ponder perhaps. Beautiful tree regardless..

-Nathan

Yeah! I'd definitely be interested if you are able to get some seeds of C. Paupuana.

Edited by Opal92
  • Upvote 1

On 1/18/2018, 12:26:30, Silas_Sancona said:

-Nathan

A couple more insights on C. papuana, first of all l, they are awesome! I love them, pure smooth white bark.  I used to see quite a few of these in Arizona and they can be quite hardy but the seed source is important. 

Down in AZ I would hear that the ones that came from the more tropical parts of the range like the island of New Guinea were quite tender by comparison. Sources from certain parts of their Australian range were quite a bit tougher. These are used as landscape plantings along some of the freeways in Phoenix so they are pretty tough. 

It may be hard to find out what the ancestry of any given ones you find but I wish these were used more and more available where they would do well. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

2 hours ago, Opal92 said:

Yeah! I'd definitely be interested if you are able to get some seeds of C. Paupuana.

:greenthumb: Will let you know when they are ready.  

The same general gaden contains other suff i regularly collect from that might be worth trialing out there as well, if they aren't already seen in N. FL. gardens

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Xerarch said:

A couple more insights on C. papuana, first of all l, they are awesome! I love them, pure smooth white bark.  I used to see quite a few of these in Arizona and they can be quite hardy but the seed source is important. 

Down in AZ I would hear that the ones that came from the more tropical parts of the range like the island of New Guinea were quite tender by comparison. Sources from certain parts of their Australian range were quite a bit tougher. These are used as landscape plantings along some of the freeways in Phoenix so they are pretty tough. 

It may be hard to find out what the ancestry of any given ones you find but I wish these were used more and more available where they would do well. 

Totally agree and have also heard the same thing regarding overall range of hardiness. There are apparently acouple of other species from higher/ drier locations which are called 'Ghost Gums' which exhibit narrower foliage but the same smooth white trunk. 

Also agree that while you will see specimens along the freeways, and in bigger Commercial landscapes around town, as much as this sp. was promoted via various sites a few years ago, they should be everywhere.. then again, i could list several other trees that should be more common.. or, at the least, tested more extensively. It's sad to see African Sumac, Sissoo, Elms, and Brazilian Pepper still being sold in nurseries around town. 

• Upvote 1

67deg and rain. Eucalyptus are thriving. They look so lush and bold against the brown grass and other dormant vegetation. Callistemon rigidus cultivar "bottle pop neon pink" in the middle.

WIN_20180128_152222.thumb.JPG.9828fb9a98

• Upvote 1

I'm finding that C. citriodora has surprising hardiness even at quite a small size.

I gave away quite a few small seedlings to people I work with. Everyone likes the plant and especially the lemon smell on the leaves. One guy had his (he said it's a little over a foot tall now) out in the front yard covered with blankets along with some other tropicals. It got to 19 deg there, and he said some of his tropicals didn't make it, but the C. citriodora came through just fine! And as I mentioned before, mine were left in my greenhouse which got too cold inside unfortunately. Judging from the damage on other plants in there, it probably got around 26-27 deg. However, the C. citriodora pulled through only with the new growth getting burned- the mature leaves have no damage.

With hardiness only increasing as they get larger, I am very interested to see how an actual tree sized one would do here.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure the E. viminalis planted in my front yard died. That last freeze to 18 deg was the final straw. It just never wanted to go into dormancy. Even after damage on new growth from the lighter freezes before, it kept trying to put out new growth. I think that was it's downfall. And I'm sure it didn't help that it was such a small tree planted in September. I'll give it a little more time to see if any of it is still alive. However, I recently scratched the main stem with my fingernail and it was not green inside. I think I'll plant the E. dalrympleana in its place. Unlike the viminalis, it will have the entire growing season before winter. I seemed to notice that the dalrympleana stalled growth somewhat during the coldest period this winter. It is native to higher elevation areas than E. viminalis. Maybe, just maybe it will be a little more hardy and become dormant in future cold.

WIN_20180215_124816.thumb.JPG.759d08d653

WIN_20180215_124824.thumb.JPG.c397f3f52e

It's my understanding that eucalypts never really go dormant, even the cold hardy ones. That's part of why they tend to be susceptible to cold damage. There is a hybrid of unclear parentage that has been planted by some of the major freeway interchanges here. It was planted there because it is supposedly cold hardy and tough. In the severe freezes of the last two years they have almost completely defoliated and then either releafed out or formed branches from lower on the trunk. 

The other thing to consider is that many eucalypts have a lignotuber from which they can grow back. So even if you loose the above ground plant, it may be worth giving the plant plenty of time to see if it resprouts. As the lignotuber matures, the above ground plant will likely get more and more vigorous until it might be capable of taking your winters. Just a thought.

On February 20, 2018 at 11:41:23 AM, necturus said:

It's my understanding that eucalypts never really go dormant, even the cold hardy ones. That's part of why they tend to be susceptible to cold damage. There is a hybrid of unclear parentage that has been planted by some of the major freeway interchanges here. It was planted there because it is supposedly cold hardy and tough. In the severe freezes of the last two years they have almost completely defoliated and then either releafed out or formed branches from lower on the trunk. 

The other thing to consider is that many eucalypts have a lignotuber from which they can grow back. So even if you loose the above ground plant, it may be worth giving the plant plenty of time to see if it resprouts. As the lignotuber matures, the above ground plant will likely get more and more vigorous until it might be capable of taking your winters. Just a thought.

That's pretty much true, eucalypts require a gradual cool down in winter or a sudden freeze will catch them off guard. 

Most of the tall skinny eucs on the Houston freeways are probably a clone of camaldulensis known as SC-25. They were originally brought into the Houston area about 15-20 years ago for soil remediation and apparently TXDOT got ahold of some at one point.

• 1 month later...

My Corymbia citriodora are putting out good growth as we're getting more heat. I love the smell of the leaves.

WIN_20180325_123406.thumb.JPG.e20c20dfb9

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2017‎ ‎8‎:‎10‎:‎56‎, Eric in Orlando said:

World of Motion was the original ride at Epcot where Test Track is now. It was a circular silver glass paneled building. There were C. citriodora planted around it. They were severely damaged in the 1983 and 1989 freezes and the 1989 freeze killed them to the ground. They took some out but left a few. There are still specimens in the back service areas that are very tall again and multi-trunked. A few years ago they planted some E. deglupta near Spaceship Earth.

Going into Disney to Magic Kingdom about a mile or so from the main gate is a forest of E. grandis. The had originally used these for the parking area of Magic Kingdom. But the 80s freezes severely damaged them and most were removed from the parking area. But this forest was kind of a "nursery" when they were first planting them and they have naturalized into this area.

I was to disappointed to see that stand of C. citriodora by Test Track had been removed when I visited in early March. Here's a picture I took where they should've been visible from before. I was even trying to look over to the side when I rode Test Track to see if there were any remnants, but couldn't get a good view. Kind of sad to see that little piece of botanical history vanish. They were beautiful trees too.

IMG_1395.thumb.JPG.0196abc315a8edf6e6ccb

Aerial picture: stand of the lemon Eucalyptus can be seen on the left side of the main building in the upper frame of the picture.

sKeating003_EPCOT_Test_Track_2011-1.jpg

Here are some other Eucalyptus I saw at Epcot.

E. deglupta (I think) against the Universe of Energy building.

IMG_1383.thumb.JPG.3086b1f07daeda4452c98

In a small grove of trees near Spaceship earth- I think these may be Eucalyptus grandis.

IMG_1384.thumb.JPG.dc489759fc4a7b3c7f9f5

IMG_1385.thumb.JPG.c4f9ba6cb02931a1b8318

IMG_1386.thumb.JPG.25ce5cda4e25d503afd09

Edited by Opal92

I wonder if they got beat up in Hurricane Irma? I am going out there Sat. so will look. There were also old specimens from when EPCOT opened back behind that area too in the service areas.

The one by Energy is Corymbia torelliana. Over by Spaceship Earth there are some E. deglupta too.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

• 2 weeks later...

I had been researching online and read that it is not good for Eucalyptus (more so than other trees) to become potbound as they will not develop a good root system when planted in ground. I planted my last E. viminalis and E. dalrympleana in the green belt behind my house in the last couple weeks- these two transplanted well and continue to push out growth. They were somewhat root bound with some roots circling around the base of the pot, so I tried to pull some of them out and lightly break up the "mold" of soil that was in the pot. However, when I planted the E. dalrympleana in my front yard back in February (see comment/pictures above), it was more root bound. On that one, I tried to break up some of the tightly wound roots but may have done it a little too much because now the tree has just sat there over a month and basically not grown. It even lost some leaves and it seemed to show stress by turning reddish. Now this also may be in part because it endured a few light freezes in March. Recently though, the redness has mostly disappeared, although I don't really see any significant growth still.

E. dalrympleana in the green belt

IMG_1536.thumb.JPG.6111ae26aa830c68178f2

E. viminalis in the green belt

IMG_1537.JPG

E. dalrympleana in the front yard

IMG_1538.thumb.JPG.1927b7da98ec8fa12233f

It was pushing out this new growth when I transplanted it, but it stopped and has looked like this since then.

IMG_1540.thumb.JPG.122e099bf0b3245649b43

Edited by Opal92

Gotta watch out for root girdling.  That is what has a significantly higher chance of occurring with most deciduous trees that stay in pots too long. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/28/2018, 7:19:20, Eric in Orlando said:

I wonder if they got beat up in Hurricane Irma? I am going out there Sat. so will look. There were also old specimens from when EPCOT opened back behind that area too in the service areas.

The one by Energy is Corymbia torelliana. Over by Spaceship Earth there are some E. deglupta too.

Eric, did you figure what happened to these?

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know what kind this is? It survived 12F unscathed this past winter. My Eucalyptus cinerea died from the cold. This is a different species and it's much hardier. 20180617_154058.thumb.jpg.c02efabf4c694120180617_154108.thumb.jpg.be87f8a6cf4bd5

Edited by Brad Mondel

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

2 hours ago, Brad Mondel said:

Does anyone know what kind this is? It survived 12F unscathed this past winter. My Eucalyptus cinerea died from the cold. This is a different species and it's much hardier. 

Pretty positive that is Eucalyptus gunnii (looks identical to mine). The picture I posted earlier on this thread of a eucalyptus in Toccoa Georgia I believe is a E. gunnii also. They appear to have a great amount of cold hardiness: the one in Toccoa is in North Georgia on the border of zones 7b and 8a.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I believe Eucalyptus are somewhat tricky to grow in the US..... too hot in summer and too cold in winter. Here are some species endemic to the New England Tablelands in Northern NSW. This is a plateau region between 3 and 4 thousand feet in altitude that is renowned over here for its cool winters and warm humid summers. Not uncommon to have winter minimums as low as -10c or 14F. Winter max average about 12c or 55F but the higher areas do get 1-3 snowy days each winter. The region has a summer rainfall bias and rarely if ever exceeds 100f, although temps exceed 88F for weeks on end.

http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/bioregions/NewEnglandTableland-Biodiversity.htm

Some species here might handle parts of the USA.

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

Just came across an interesting find. Was looking on Google streetview (I know, I have too much time on my hands...) in an area southwest of downtown Orlando and found what looks to be a healthy, thriving Eucalyptus gunnii. If that is what it is, I am quite amazed since E. gunnii is from Tasmania (cool climate). However, I have seen reports of E. gunnii growing in the Southeast US, including the one I found in Toccoa, GA (see previous comment). Although still, this surprises me because Orlando has that much longer, sweltering summers than other parts of the Southeast US. Unless maybe this is something else... It also sort of looks like a Eucalyptus neglecta... And unfortunately, imagery after 2014 shows that this tree was cut down.

5c2d381b1dc78_Egunniiorlandocloseup4.thu

5c2d38933e574_Egunniiorlandofullshot1.th

5c2d390198b3d_Egunniiorlandofullshot2.PN

5c2d38c486462_Egunniiorlandofullshot3.PN

5c2d381536155_Egunniiorlandocloseup2.thu

5c2d389e0343c_Egunniiorlandocloseup.thum

Edited by Opal92

On 4/24/2017, 11:20:35, Xenon said:

A hybrid Eucalyptus camaldulensis is used as a median plant in some parts of Houston. Grows really tall and compliments the equally tall freeway interchanges well. There was some minor tip/twig dieback after the 09/10 winter. 

And are they still around now?

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

• 5 months later...

Here are my E. camaldulensis seedlings (I sowed some at different times hence the different heights). I'd like to plant a few of these back home in Northwest FL to test their cold hardiness.

And if I can't find places for them all, I may be willing to give a few away.

IMG_4335.thumb.JPG.fc8e6004147c1a787557408b673bf491.JPG

Here's an update on the E. dalrympleana planted at my parent's house in Northwest Florida. It easily survived a mild winter (26 degrees at lowest), and waited till about late March to flush out with new growth. Seems to be doing somewhat ok, although the tree is kind of leggy with not many leaves in the inner canopy. It, however, is surviving better than I thought it would be given it's performance early on (stunted/stalled growth for months after transplanting). 

Also, when I visited a week ago, I found that the E. dalrympleana planted in the green belt behind my parent's house suddenly died. I don't know why. It had looked fairly healthy shortly before but at the same time wasn't putting out much growth.

Unfortunately it was overcast when I took these pictures and the tree sort of blends in with everything else behind.

47357256_IMG_4238(2).thumb.JPG.729129a87b456866ef6444b05fe1d4e0.JPG

IMG_4239.thumb.JPG.869d3973e68013b99a5a3f9f834c0555.JPG

IMG_4240.thumb.JPG.e8dad2456606ba27eac342abc3e30f73.JPG

Edited by Matthew92

Here are a couple E. gunnii I planted in ground near my house in Northwest FL. Interestingly, after being transplanted in the ground, they seem to lose some vigor in the existing aboveground stems, and then want to sprout from the base.

This one has been in ground about a year.

IMG_4277.thumb.JPG.d26f4ff08379c2925b577b9a1b959257.JPG

IMG_4278.thumb.JPG.06707328c7dede02f405e6cfe6d74895.JPG

This one has been in ground since early March (but was much larger size at planting than the one above)

IMG_4297.thumb.JPG.dd37a575328f2a2ecb17bc121b33bc5d.JPG

IMG_4296.thumb.JPG.432bee154b7523e9f9c03efd2758ffef.JPG

Edited by Matthew92

Also here's a Corymbia citriodora I stealth-planted near a garden center in Destin, FL that I worked at last March. For 2-3 months after planting, it hardly grew at all and seemed stunted, but sometime last summer (after I moved away), it really took off and is doing great now. It easily survived this past winter where Destin (peninsula surrounded by bay to the north and Gulf to the south) hardly even got to freezing. This location in Destin is mostly 9a, but 8b temps can still happen very occasionally. However, it will be very interesting to see how it does in more of a regular winter. Even if it gets killed back, I imagine it will sprout back as it has a robust lignotuber at the base of the trunk.

IMG_1368.thumb.jpg.76e317e9d24382940d7015c95d32aadc.jpg

IMG_1369.thumb.jpg.8c8e74a17969bad619afd5317eacefc3.jpg

Edited by Matthew92
  • Like 1