IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Eucalyptus in the Southeast U.S.

Matthew92

I've recently become very interested in what Eucalyptus trees can grow well in zone 8 of FL Panhandle. I recently ordered E. viminalis and E. dalrympleana from rarepalmseeds and am very excited to try them.

I've done a lot of research- much of what I found was sheer minimum temp tolerance of various species, but looking into things more, I've found that doesn't necessarily mean it will thrive in S.E. U.S. conditions.

Apparently where they're from in Australia, the temperatures are more constant. They seem to not like roller coaster temps that is so typical of the SE U.S.

Anyone else have much experience growing different species of Eucalyptus in the Southeast U.S.?

The only Eucalyptus trees I've seen growing in my area are Eucalyptus cinerea, or silver dollar tree. Here are a few I've seen.

58fec199c1237_SilverDollarTreeEucalyptus

58fec197b17cf_SilverDollarTreeEucalyptus

58fec199c1237_SilverDollarTreeEucalyptus

58fec1968c71f_EucalyptusKillarney.jpg.a2

I'd love to grow some of the more bold and distinct species that would really stand out from the somewhat mundane, scrub vegetation of my area.

Here are some of the articles or sites I've found that give more insight as to how these trees react to SE U.S. conditions.

Introduction of Eucalyptus spp. into the United States with Special Emphasis on the Southern United States

Here's the abstract:

Introduction of Eucalyptus spp. into the United States from Australia on a significant scale resulted from the gold rush into California in 1849. Numerous species were evaluated for fuel, wood products, and amenity purposes. The first recorded entry of eucalyptus into the southern United Stated was in 1878. Subsequent performance of selected species for ornamental purposes caused forest industry to visualize plantations for fiber production. That interest led the Florida Forestry Foundation to initiate species-introduction trials in 1959. The results were sufficiently promising that a contingent of forest products companies formed a cooperative to work with the USDA Forest Service, Lehigh Acres, FL, USA, on genetic improvement of selected species for fiber production. The Florida initiative caused other industrial forestry companies in the upper South to establish plantations regardless of the species or seed source. The result was invariably the same: failure. Bruce Zobel, Professor of Forestry, North Carolina State University, initiated a concerted effort to assess the potential worth of eucalyptus for plantation use. The joint industrial effort evaluated 569 sources representing 103 species over a 14-year period. The three levels of testing, screening, in-depth, and semioperational trials led to identification of some species and sources that offered promise for adaptation, but severe winter temperatures in late 1983 and early 1984 and 1985 terminated the project. Despite the failed attempt valuable silvicultural practices were ascertained that will be beneficial to other researchers and practitioners when attempts are again made to introduce the species complex into the US South.

Eucalyptus: Gardening in the Coastal Southeast

Zones for Eucalyptus Trees

Southern Eucs. Cold Hardy Eucalyptus Trees for the South

Eucalyptus beyond Its Native Range

• Upvote 2

A hybrid Eucalyptus camaldulensis is used as a median plant in some parts of Houston. Grows really tall and compliments the equally tall freeway interchanges well. There was some minor tip/twig dieback after the 09/10 winter. 

• Upvote 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

You're right to grow eucalyptus from seed. With many species, seed is the only way to grow the plants. 

A quick look through australianseed.com and i came up with these that might be worth a try in the SE.

Eucalyptus serraensis this small tree is endemic to the Grampians in Victoria, Australia. The species was formally known as Eucalyptus alpine which is still a commonly used name today.

Prefers a light to medium moist soil in an open sunny position, frost and snow resistant but drought tender.

Eucalyptus coccifera- 

Endemic to Tasmania's central and southern mountains. At high altitude it can be quite stunted, reaching greater heights in valleys.

Prefers a light to medium moist soil in an open sunny position, frost and snow resistant.

EUCALYPTUS subcrenulata

Endemic to Tasmaina.

Prefers a well-drained soil in an open sunny position, frost resistant but drought tender.

• Upvote 1

I'm trying the same in zone 8A South Carolina.

Joe L. in Augusta GA has had good results with a couple of species.  If I remember right, I think E. nicholii was doing very well.

I bought seeds for several species off ebay, germination rate of almost zero and then when they do germinate, the seedlings damp off easily.

There are large E. cinerea here in Aiken (12" to 15" trunk diameter) and they seem to do OK.  Some other species were planted at a public building here experimentally, I suspect by Woodlander's nursery, but only one species has been spared damage (unfortunately they're not labeled). 

I found E. cinerea and gunnii at local stores, plus a 3rd species that wasn't labeled, and with luck I will get a survivor from the seed purchase.

Steve

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Turtlesteve said:

I'm trying the same in zone 8A South Carolina.

Joe L. in Augusta GA has had good results with a couple of species.  If I remember right, I think E. nicholii was doing very well.

I bought seeds for several species off ebay, germination rate of almost zero and then when they do germinate, the seedlings damp off easily.

There are large E. cinerea here in Aiken (12" to 15" trunk diameter) and they seem to do OK.  Some other species were planted at a public building here experimentally, I suspect by Woodlander's nursery, but only one species has been spared damage (unfortunately they're not labeled). 

I found E. cinerea and gunnii at local stores, plus a 3rd species that wasn't labeled, and with luck I will get a survivor from the seed purchase.

Steve

Yes, the E. cinerea seems pretty bulletproof for much of the Southeast. Hoping for the best with the ones I've ordered, I'll try to post the progress of them once I get them. 

Isn't it funny how we always want to grow things exotic or foreign to us. I live in the Queensland tropics. Quite a number of tropical Eucalyptus and Corymbia growing here....... I don't have a single one of them on my acreage property as they can be unstable during storms and Tropical Cyclones (same as Hurricanes)..... Quite common around here is the Poplar Gum, E. platyphylla........ It is a tropical species and quite different to other Eucalypts. Just over 3 weeks ago severe Cat 4 Tropical Cyclone Debbie paid a long visit and smashed many of them up.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

I'm growing a windbreak of Eucalyptus amplifolia here in the Gainesville/Ocala area. I planted nearly 100 saplings around 2' high summer of 2015; the largest are now over 20' with absolutely no care at all. The past few winters have been fairly mild with lows in the mid-20's and these trees haven't suffered any damage

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Tropicgardener said:

Isn't it funny how we always want to grow things exotic or foreign to us. I live in the Queensland tropics. Quite a number of tropical Eucalyptus and Corymbia growing here....... I don't have a single one of them on my acreage property as they can be unstable during storms and Tropical Cyclones (same as Hurricanes)..... Quite common around here is the Poplar Gum, E. platyphylla........ It is a tropical species and quite different to other Eucalypts. Just over 3 weeks ago severe Cat 4 Tropical Cyclone Debbie paid a long visit and smashed many of them up.

Yep, we wanna see what we don't often see. But as far as natives go, Australia could be a whole lot worse!

Eucs grow like weeds here in PNW most grow 10’ a year and then slow down some once they get really big.  Because of our weather here some of the hardy ones grow bigger here than they do in Australia.  I had to get rid of a few that were planted to close to the house and sidewalk, the roots moved the side walk and they buckled. Cost me a pretty penny to get them out. The tree company took the wood and sold it to the mills. The truck were so big I could not put my arms around the tree. I was able to get a wood worker to make some eucalypts bowls for me… he did it for free and I only took two and he kept the rest for compensation.  They made my garden smell so good and the flowers are really sweet also. I used the leave for my pets to keep bugs away. 

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Upvote 1

A grove of the local native Eucalyptus platyphylla after Tropical Cyclone Debbie came to town 3 weeks ago................. This is just one reason I don't grow Eucalyptus/Corymbia. The mountainside in the background is normally verdant green tropical rainforest...... Just about every tree has been stripped of their leaves.

IMG_0672.JPG

• Upvote 2

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

On 4/25/2017, 7:57:54, Jdiaz31089 said:

You're right to grow eucalyptus from seed. With many species, seed is the only way to grow the plants. 

A quick look through australianseed.com and i came up with these that might be worth a try in the SE.

Eucalyptus serraensis this small tree is endemic to the Grampians in Victoria, Australia. The species was formally known as Eucalyptus alpine which is still a commonly used name today.

Prefers a light to medium moist soil in an open sunny position, frost and snow resistant but drought tender.

Eucalyptus coccifera- 

Endemic to Tasmania's central and southern mountains. At high altitude it can be quite stunted, reaching greater heights in valleys.

Prefers a light to medium moist soil in an open sunny position, frost and snow resistant.

EUCALYPTUS subcrenulata

Endemic to Tasmaina.

Prefers a well-drained soil in an open sunny position, frost resistant but drought tender.

I could be wrong but it seems to me that sourcing seed from high altitude high latitude Australia from areas with constantly cool conditions is asking for serious trouble for planting in a usually hot wet climate but with occaisonal cold. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Waimarama New Zealand (39.5S, 177E)

Oceanic temperate

summer 25C/15C

winter 15C/6C

No frost, no heat

On 4/26/2017, 9:01:21, Tropicgardener said:

In all fairness, our native pine forests wouldn't have fared much better in a similar storm.  I went this path because I want something that's relatively fast growing and evergreen, looks a bit different, and isn't invasive.  I remember reading somewhere that the cold winters here prevent them from setting seed.

• Upvote 1

Opal, I remember you posted some pics from the FSU campus some time ago. If you make it over there again, they have a eucalyptus experimental planting area that might be of interest to you. It's kind of tucked away behind the student gym and ROTC building. There are about a half dozen species growing there, if I recall correctly.

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

• 2 weeks later...

I have Eucalyptus cinerea and I see many around locally. Some are quite large. Zone 8a. 

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

I got my E. viminalis and E. dalrympleana in the mail yesterday. Seeds are SOOO tiny. They are the larger black specks amid the chaff in the little bags.

591b480a0a529_IMG_9579-Copy.thumb.JPG.6f

I followed sowing advice per this website. Using the community pot method with one species in each pot. I have them sitting in a garden on the East side of the house that gets dappled shade most of the day.

IMG_9580.thumb.JPG.97b215878d18ade60f8a4

They are already sprouting!

Edited by Opal92
  • Upvote 1

E. viminalis (3 sprouting total so far out of 10). These sprouted just about 5 days after planting!

IMG_9585.thumb.JPG.bdeba7a0b8680f0238215

IMG_9586.thumb.JPG.b7954dea3673aadde1417

E. dalrympleana (2 sprouting total so far out of 10)

IMG_9587.JPG

Other E. dalrympleana just beginning to pop up.

5924c4e1ed970_IMG_9588-Copy.thumb.JPG.9b

Edited by Opal92
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

• 1 month later...

July 1st update. Since my last pictures, more Eucalyptus did sprout, and I ended up having 4 viminalis and 3 dalrympleana total. I went on a 2 week trip in mid June (I had arrangements for the plants to be watered). When I got home, the Eucalyptus pots were really dry, but the plants seemed just fine. I got the soil moist again, and everything seemed okay, although one of the dalrympleana had a couple leaves slightly browned/scorched looking, but it grew out of it. Understandable since one site I read said to not let young Eucs dry completely out as they can die easily.

Not too long after this though were some problems. I had read that Eucalyptus seedlings like LOTS of sun. I sometimes left them out in the full sun and they did fine. However, it's been getting very hot here lately with temps in the 90's, and maybe coupled with the slight distress with the dry soil earlier, the smaller seedlings (that had sprouted later- 2 of the viminalis and 1 of the dalrympleana) severely wilted. I tried making sure they had adequate water and everything, but they didn't recover. The larger ones seemed okay, but I noticed they weren't really growing anymore. I was worried that they also would succumb (especially if it happened to be some kind of disease/rot in the soil), so I dug them up and put each one in it's own pot (I have 2 of each species remaining now). For the soil, I used a mix of peat/sphagnum, regular potting soil (one that wasn't too rich and heavy), and a good amount of perlite. After the transplant, the remaining ones seem to be doing great and have continued growing. I try to keep them in dappled sun. I know these species (especially the dalrympleana) come from cooler areas of Australia, so it is interesting to see that they seem to tolerate this extreme heat okay.

viminalis

IMG_0120.thumb.JPG.9a6b598f6cdf4f98a66ef

viminalis close up

IMG_0118.thumb.JPG.764ed2549d966b3e741de

dalrympleana

IMG_0122.thumb.JPG.eb79de06b82ffc36c08e2

Edited by Opal92
  • Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...

Late July Update. Lots of growth! I had been scared to get them too wet (I've had many experiences in the past where things have rotted from getting too wet), but recently they've been getting a little more rain (been having a lot lately) and seem to be growing even faster.

Also, I recently got an Eucalyptus gunnii from one of the big box stores. This one is from Tasmania (cooler climate), and from what I researched (despite what the label says) seems to be at least 8b hardy. Tolerance of Southeast U.S. conditions (i.e. extreme heat) remains to be seen.

2 E. viminalis on left, 2 E. dalrympleana on right (rocks used to prop plant). I probably didn't need to put them in such big pots right away (the pot the E. gunnii was in was about a 5th the size of these), but they seem to be doing okay. As you can see, the tops of some of them really bend to reach the sun.

IMG_0190.thumb.JPG.82f1ee7a074bbceaff1cd

E. viminalis

IMG_0191.thumb.JPG.aa31775f5003bbf2e21de

E. dalrympleana

IMG_0192.thumb.JPG.63bfc494cde4bb81cc9c2

E. gunnii (I just repotted it)

IMG_0197.thumb.JPG.bee61000dd1961c519dd3

Seems to be advertised not for being grown as a tree.

IMG_0203.thumb.JPG.d2862b12b6b084fdca3c9

IMG_0204.thumb.JPG.8341e484243ebc055af77

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone have experience with Eucalyptus (Corymbia) citriodora and it's cold hardiness? This is one of the most beautiful Eucalyptus IMO. Here's a couple picture of some I saw at Leu Gardens in Orlando, FL this past June. These trees can become skyscrapers.

IMG_9797.thumb.JPG.0b779713bf335c1b78dff

IMG_9798.thumb.JPG.effcda9a4b1afd9d481b3

BTW, anyone know what different characteristics this tree had to warrant putting it into a different genus (Corymbia) than Eucalyptus?

• Upvote 1

I just sowed some Eucalyptus (Corymbia) citriodora (Lemon Gum Eucalyptus) seeds. I know it's not going to be completely cold hardy here. Although they're such a beautiful, robust tree, and the lemon smell is is really great- I'm giving them a try. I saw a comment on Dave's Garden of someone growing one around Charleston, SC, and theirs survived low 20's with not that much damage. Another site here describes the cold hardiness more in detail. If anything, I could grow it in a pot for the attractive/aromatic foliage (in fact, I saw a site online advertising it for such a use). Definitely is not a cool growing Eucalyptus like E. viminalis or gunnii. Citriodora is from hotter areas in Northeast/Eastern Australia.

Mature Corymbia citriodora will get killed back into the low 20sF. Back in the big freeze of Dec. 1989 they were killed to the roots around here. Most came back but some perished. Young seedling specimens will freeze back below about 25F but grow back fast.

At Leu Gardens we planted our specimens as seedlings. They grow extremely fast 10-15 ft in the first 1-2 years. We would plant them when they were about a foot tall. That way they developed their root system as juveniles. Ours haven't seen below 28-29F so they haven't been tested.

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

In the Orlando area (zone 9b/10a) here is what Eucs grow well and are occasionally seen;

Corymbia citriodora

C. torelliana

Eucalyptus camaldulensis

E. deglupta

E. grandis

E. polyanthemos

E. robusta

At Leu Gardens we have a E. quadrangularis growing well.

Eucalyptus cinerea is often planted but they almost always dies out after a few years. I think it is just too humid long term for them here. We have tried other hardy Eucs here (camphora, gunnii, nicholii, rengans to name a few) and they don't make it for than a year or so.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

10 hours ago, Eric in Orlando said:

In the Orlando area (zone 9b/10a) here is what Eucs grow well and are occasionally seen;

Corymbia citriodora

C. torelliana

Eucalyptus camaldulensis

E. deglupta

E. grandis

E. polyanthemos

E. robusta

At Leu Gardens we have a E. quadrangularis growing well.

Eucalyptus cinerea is often planted but they almost always dies out after a few years. I think it is just too humid long term for them here. We have tried other hardy Eucs here (camphora, gunnii, nicholii, rengans to name a few) and they don't make it for than a year or so.

Thanks for that info on Eucs in Orlando. The Corymbia citriodora at Leu were one of my favorites. Additionally, I know there is a stand of C. citriodora planted at Epcot just to the right of the Test Track building. When you're on the ride, you pass right by them right before going back inside after the "fast track" outdoor portion. In fact, on the C. citriodora page on Dave's Garden, someone left a comment saying that the Disney people loved C. citriodora so much at Disneyland CA that they initially planted a good amount of it at Disney World. The beauty of that species had a great part in what got me interested in growing Eucalyptus in my area. I hoped to grow a hardier look alike to the C. citriodora, and was delighted to find that E. Viminalis looks very similar while being more hardy (of course, I couldn't resist growing the real thing too).

I guess some Euc's can be quite finicky outside of their native Australia. And it seems like Orlando's climate is just far south enough for the cooler growing species to struggle. I noticed that those you listed that grow well at Leu are the more tropical/subtropical ones that could not tolerate zone 8 freezes. And as you pointed out, E. cinerea doesn't do well in Orlando while they grow appreciably well up here in the Panhandle. I guess there is a fine line somewhere between these areas. I wonder how many other species will/will not grow between the difference of zone 8 N. FL and 9b/10a Central Florida.

I'm still figuring out the true growing parameters for many Eucalyptus- will be interesting to see how mine continue to progress. I keep them all outside and they are seeing a lot of temps in the 90's. Soil, watering, and brightness are identical between the 2 species, and the E. viminalis is growing much faster and very vigorous. E. dalrympleana is growing okay, but noticeably slower and just doesn't seem as robust . Wonder if I am seeing a difference in growing requirements between the 2 as E. dalrympleana is native to higher elevation areas. Additionally, the E. gunnii seems to be doing quite well putting on strong growth despite being from quite cool areas of Tasmania.

This is quite an interesting and exciting undertaking trialing these, especially since this genus is somewhat absent in this area. And in terms of species to try, I've not even scratched the surface.

Edited by Opal92

It's good to see you are having luck so far.  I'm down to one each of E. coccifera, dalrympleana, and nicholii in pots that survived - but not out of the woods yet as a couple of them are only about 1/2" tall.  These are very difficult as seedlings.

Of the ones planted in the yard, many are on death's door, but I think the E. gunnii might survive if it quits raining.  they did great all spring and are dying back now after the near constant water.  Even though I normally seem to have well draining soil, it has stayed saturated for days on end in more than one instance.

There is a spectacular tree, I believe E. cinerea, a couple blocks down the road - probably 50' tall with a trunk about 2' in diameter - by far the largest and best looking in the area.  Google street view below (cropped to hide address).  The tree is well behind the house and stands even with most of the pine trees.  This seems to indicate they'll survive long term here if well established.

5994fe0d8e84a_eucgoogle.png.3ef80cc6c043

Steve

• Upvote 1

Planted about a dozen E. gunnii few years ago, they grew very fast into shrubs about 6' and then one by one died off, none lasted more than 18 months.

Most specimens of E. cinera I have seen in Florida eventually succumb to  disease.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Opal92 said:

Thanks for that info on Eucs in Orlando. The Corymbia citriodora at Leu were one of my favorites. Additionally, I know there is a stand of C. citriodora planted at Epcot just to the right of the Test Track building. When you're on the ride, you pass right by them right before going back inside after the "fast track" outdoor portion. In fact, on the C. citriodora page on Dave's Garden, someone left a comment saying that the Disney people loved C. citriodora so much at Disneyland CA that they initially planted a good amount of it at Disney World. The beauty of that species had a great part in what got me interested in growing Eucalyptus in my area. I hoped to grow a hardier look alike to the C. citriodora, and was delighted to find that E. Viminalis looks very similar while being more hardy (of course, I couldn't resist growing the real thing too).

I guess some Euc's can be quite finicky outside of their native Australia. And it seems like Orlando's climate is just far south enough for the cooler growing species to struggle. I noticed that those you listed that grow well at Leu are the more tropical/subtropical ones that could not tolerate zone 8 freezes. And as you pointed out, E. cinerea doesn't do well in Orlando while they grow appreciably well up here in the Panhandle. I guess there is a fine line somewhere between these areas. I wonder how many other species will/will not grow between the difference of zone 8 N. FL and 9b/10a Central Florida.

I'm still figuring out the true growing parameters for many Eucalyptus- will be interesting to see how mine continue to progress. I keep them all outside and they are seeing a lot of temps in the 90's. Soil, watering, and brightness are identical between the 2 species, and the E. viminalis is growing much faster and very vigorous. E. dalrympleana is growing okay, but noticeably slower and just doesn't seem as robust . Wonder if I am seeing a difference in growing requirements between the 2 as E. dalrympleana is native to higher elevation areas. Additionally, the E. gunnii seems to be doing quite well putting on strong growth despite being from quite cool areas of Tasmania.

This is quite an interesting and exciting undertaking trialing these, especially since this genus is somewhat absent in this area. And in terms of species to try, I've not even scratched the surface.

World of Motion was the original ride at Epcot where Test Track is now. It was a circular silver glass paneled building. There were C. citriodora planted around it. They were severely damaged in the 1983 and 1989 freezes and the 1989 freeze killed them to the ground. They took some out but left a few. There are still specimens in the back service areas that are very tall again and multi-trunked. A few years ago they planted some E. deglupta near Spaceship Earth.

Going into Disney to Magic Kingdom about a mile or so from the main gate is a forest of E. grandis. The had originally used these for the parking area of Magic Kingdom. But the 80s freezes severely damaged them and most were removed from the parking area. But this forest was kind of a "nursery" when they were first planting them and they have naturalized into this area.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Corymbia ptychocarpa is one I would like to try again. We had one here at Leu Gardens growing well for several years. It got to about 7ft tall and flowered. But at some point it just died very quickly. It has large, hot pink flowers and giant leaves.

corrcom1.jpg

corcom2.jpg

corcom3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

14 hours ago, Turtlesteve said:

It's good to see you are having luck so far.  I'm down to one each of E. coccifera, dalrympleana, and nicholii in pots that survived - but not out of the woods yet as a couple of them are only about 1/2" tall.  These are very difficult as seedlings.

Of the ones planted in the yard, many are on death's door, but I think the E. gunnii might survive if it quits raining.  they did great all spring and are dying back now after the near constant water.  Even though I normally seem to have well draining soil, it has stayed saturated for days on end in more than one instance.

There is a spectacular tree, I believe E. cinerea, a couple blocks down the road - probably 50' tall with a trunk about 2' in diameter - by far the largest and best looking in the area.  Google street view below (cropped to hide address).  The tree is well behind the house and stands even with most of the pine trees.  This seems to indicate they'll survive long term here if well established.

Steve

Glad to see another person in a similar climate as mine trying Eucalyptus. And yes, that is a nice E. cinerea! Of the species I want to trial in my area, the E. dalrympleana I think it the best looking (judging from pictures of mature trees on Google) Leaves have a more lush, striking look to them, and the bark is even more white down to the ground than E. viminalis.

4 hours ago, Eric in Orlando said:

World of Motion was the original ride at Epcot where Test Track is now. It was a circular silver glass paneled building. There were C. citriodora planted around it. They were severely damaged in the 1983 and 1989 freezes and the 1989 freeze killed them to the ground. They took some out but left a few. There are still specimens in the back service areas that are very tall again and multi-trunked. A few years ago they planted some E. deglupta near Spaceship Earth.

Going into Disney to Magic Kingdom about a mile or so from the main gate is a forest of E. grandis. The had originally used these for the parking area of Magic Kingdom. But the 80s freezes severely damaged them and most were removed from the parking area. But this forest was kind of a "nursery" when they were first planting them and they have naturalized into this area.

Cool. Thankfully, one can comfortably grow any of the 1980's freeze killed Eucalyptus species in your area with the current climate trends. E. deglupta is pretty tender from what I understand though. Will be interesting to see how that does if your area sees a 9b winter again.

Here's a picture I found of the C. citriodora at World of motion.(Image source here)

001a.jpg

The above study I linked in my first post about Eucalyptus being trialed in the Southeast U.S. failed because of the 1980's freezes. The few E. viminalis that survived the harsher winters of that decade grew very well (it states that some got to 80+ feet tall in 6 to 8 years) before they were finished off in subsequent winters. Since I am not expecting 1980's type freezes (which would mean single digits for me!), I have good hope for E. viminalis in my area. Also wonder if this one would do well at Leu?

Also, that Corymbia ptychocarpa is gorgeous! Didn't know about that one. So much to explore in these genera.

Edited by Opal92

Eucalyptus deglupta gains hardiness with size. We have a 50-60ft  specimen here at Leu Gardens. It was planted back in 2000. It was about 3ft tall and then. That first winter we had a night down to 27F. It killed it back but it regrew from the roots. A couple years later we had another night at 27F. By then it was 6-7ft and thicker. It only had some leaf burn. Since then the coldest it has endured is about 28-29F (2009-10 winter) and no damage. I have seen others planted around in the last 10-15 years and all are growing well. But a 1989 type winter would probably knock it back to the ground like C. citriodora. Corymbia torelliana were also killed back in the '89 freeze in the Orlando area. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

• 2 weeks later...

Late August look at growth- with yard stick for scale. From right: E. viminalis (2), E. dalrympleana (2), and E. gunnii. Far right viminalis is growing gangbusters- I'll thoroughly water it in the morning and then it is quite dry by mid-afternoon! I've found that they all love LOTS of water. The dalrympleana are doing fine- although the smaller one on the left has had some growth issues. Instead of 2 lateral shoots sprouting off on opposite sides along the central stem, only 1 of them will grow making the plant unsymmetrical and lopsided. Don't know what would cause this. The one on the right had it a little at first, but is now growing normally. E. gunnii is doing great.

IMG_0462.thumb.JPG.584b5da144a37223c2852

6 more E. gunnii I got off the clearance rack for .25 cents each. Just repotted them.

IMG_0469.thumb.JPG.7938fcffb80620bd11437

Corymbia citriodora sprouts. Barely even touching the leaves I can already smell the strong, lemon/citronella scent. 

IMG_0467.thumb.JPG.292c062520a64e0f0eb10

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Eucalyptus viminalis in the ground. 3 feet tall. As you can see, the spot I put it in has plenty room for it to fill out. The scraggly looking tree is an oak that we are going to remove soon. Other than that, the only trees to compete with are a Japanese maple and pink dogwood (both small growing). From what I've seen in pictures of this eucalyptus, it should get taller than the trees nearby in quite short order and start spreading a canopy. I'm not sure if it is much less cold hardy when young. Still, I've heard more than one report of this species surviving zone 8b temperatures (when dormant) just fine. If there is a hard freeze precluded by mild temperatures (sudden swings in temperature unlike Southeastern Australia), I may protect it though since active growth buds may be vulnerable. Having said all that though, this species should be one of the best adapted to conditions in this part of the country.

IMG_0487.thumb.JPG.8c8756b19459a6475c9af

IMG_0498.thumb.JPG.6d589732aac2c0f1fdf0d

IMG_0492.thumb.JPG.4d77e2334a9a78657e923

Edited by Opal92
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Found this beautiful eucalyptus specimen while in Toccoa, Georgia (extreme NE GA) to see the solar eclipse. It was on the campus of Toccoa Falls College. I'm thinking gunnii, cinerea?

IMG_0283.thumb.JPG.fd759b27faa27f596de20

• 2 weeks later...

The Eucalyptus viminalis planted in my front yard shown above has already surpassed the tallest of the 3 stakes.

We have red gums growing in the ground now. These are two years from seed believe it or not. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

We have red gums growing in the ground now. These are two years from seed believe it or not. 

E. camaldulensis right? If so, cool, that's one I'd like to try. How do you think it will tolerate your harder winters there?

Edited by Opal92

21 hours ago, Opal92 said:

E. camaldulensis right? If so, cool, that's one I'd like to try. How do you think it will tolerate your harder winters there?

Yes, I forgot the pics. A few folks in austin have these and the only defoliated in 2011 with zero branch dieback so i am hopeful they will do well here.  They sure respond well to our summers!

20171012_124341.jpg

20171012_124329.jpg

• Upvote 2