IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Brachychiton acerifolius - how does it grow for you?

Daryl

These are very popular garden trees in SE QLD...the spray of red flowers can be spectacular. But the tree is also an attractive plant when not flowering and has that 'tropical lushness' to it. Here is a larger one I saw today...

Interested in hearing how this grows in your area (if available?)

DSC_3870.thumb.jpg.2bd2dcbfb92baabeef265

• Upvote 5

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

• 2 weeks later...

It's very very easy to grow and super drought tolerant as well. 

Braden de Jong

It's easy to grow in So-Cal, sometimes too well.

They used them as street trees here in La Habra, which in my opinion were not a wise choice; the big problem is they get much too fat in the trunk for a typical American one-meter (3 feet) wide "treelawn" between street and sidewalk. These are trees much better suited to parks and large estates. Their roots and fat trunks, combined with the fat trunks can make them look like gargantuan flaming elephants or octopi. Or, at least as often, with patched of flame.

The leaves are attractive, nice and deep green; I've seen them used as very (very) temporary potted plants.

Daryl, that specimen looks wonderfully proportioned, compared to the hippos I see around here. Do you have any pictures of trees in bloom? They look like Don King (boxing promoter) who dyed his hair bright florescent red, then grew to 1,000 times normal size.

Michael_ellis_3.jpg

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 4/23/2017, 5:41:29, Daryl said:

These are very popular garden trees in SE QLD...the spray of red flowers can be spectacular. But the tree is also an attractive plant when not flowering and has that 'tropical lushness' to it. Here is a larger one I saw today...

Interested in hearing how this grows in your area (if available?)

DSC_3870.thumb.jpg.2bd2dcbfb92baabeef265

Great picture you posted!

But I had no idea they could grow to such proportions! I've never seen them that size here in California. In a few years I may have a problem in my backyard! :unsure: Below is a picture of my Brachychiton acerifolius (foreground) and B. discolor (background), just now leafing out after winter here (Sacramento, CA). No flowers yet...

Brachychiton_acerifolius.jpg

• Upvote 1

got one in my french garden! not as tall as tropical ones but i love it

768642DSCN9860.jpg

Edited by gilles06
  • Upvote 5

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

Here is my Brachyciton acerifolius x bidwilii.   It has the larger bidwilii flowers on an acerifolius cluster/chain of flowers. 

IMG_3893.thumb.JPG.45275e2bfe57790db1a51

• Upvote 4

Adam, it looks great.

do you have any picture of the whole tree?

Salut;)

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

Not really great examples of the Flower Riot that they can have, but these young ones are growing at the end of my street...

DSC_2889.thumb.jpg.cfff84a88530d6de283c9

Tree in my old garden...

DSC_0011.thumb.jpg.3104c9c99d8c666f452fc

Here's a close up of the flowers of the tree in my old garden...grew this one from seed...

DSC_8712.thumb.jpg.82a7e53d405be0c21ec30

• Upvote 4

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

• 3 years later...
On 5/2/2017 at 4:06 PM, Hillizard said:

Below is a picture of my Brachychiton acerifolius (foreground) and B. discolor (background), just now leafing out after winter here...

Brachychiton_acerifolius.jpg

I noticed this week that my Brachychiton discolor is blooming sparsely this year for the first time. The flowers are high up and tucked in among the dense foliage... but that's progress. The tree has grown very quickly and is now around 25+ feet in height. The massive leaf drop in early spring is a chore, but the shade it provides more tender understory plants is worth it until the Butia and mule palm near it can take over 'shading duty.' Not sure if its blooming cycle here in the northern hemisphere isn't well timed with our seasons?

BrachychitonDiscolor2020.png

• Upvote 1